Targa Tasmania 2018

Teutonic

Thought I might start a thread for discussion of the unfolding drama that will be Tugga Tas 2018. Close has developed the GT3RS further and is sure to run strongly. YT will no doubt be trying to keep him honest in the Viper. Wild card agitator will no doubt be Steve Glenny in the GT4 category Subaru. If the weather turns ugly he will be stealing stages. Look forward to seeing it all unfold. All kicks off this coming Monday 16th. 

being the die hard Porsche enthusiast I am always going to support Matt Close for the Porsche win ......But last years Viper victory was well earned and I was taken some what at how strongly and consistently it ran as I did not think it would go the distance ..............will be interesting to see how this years event unfolds ,,,,,all so looking forward to it :Beer:

Matt has some better tyres this year and some suspension revision. He should have more pace. The tyres he ran last year were a pretty hard compound and hurt him in the wet. He finished with enough life in them to do the event again :) If it was a really dry one the Vipers could struggle to go the distance on their relatively soft kuhmos, but they do work well in the wet and that does save the tyre. He is a big advocate of the reliability of the Porsche. It shouldn't be anything mechanical that stops him. Not necessarily the case for the viper. They had two mechanical at the recent targa North West. Will be a good battle. Close, YT and Glenny to battle it out, with the wildcard Pritchard in the mix in his GT3RS. 

Get the live results at this link. Light warm up on some easy stages and the Georgetown Prologue today. Battle starts in earnest tomorrow. The Porsche marque well represented as always with a few GT3RS along with GT3's, GT4,s Cayman GTS, and a raft of earlier vintage cars. 

http://www.rallyresults.com.au/targa/tt2018/showItineraryt.asp?paramVal1=1&paramVal2=&paramVal3=1

So YT did the business in the viper yet again. Sadly Captain close had an off road excursion on the last day trying to keep him honest. Hats off to him. Without him in the event it just wouldn’t be a competition. The two of them just ran away from the rest of the field. It was daylight behind them to Steve Glenney driving the wheels off the WRX STI. Kudos to Pritchard in another GT3RS who snagged second. He saw the light and ditched his viper in favour of the porka and has to be mr consistent. Is always there at amongst it at the finish. 

Sadly the Porsche tour disgraced the marque yet again. The tour leader crashed on Queenstown stage and another tour leader crashed on the final day downgrading the stage for the rest of the competitive field to a drive through. Genuinely can’t understand how these cars out for a spirited drive keep punching holes in the scenery. 

Hopefully Porsche Aust had a cohort of cars entered (probably those that crashed....).  Last year they hung around for a few weeks and we got a drive day in Launceston.  Now that I'm a bit more comfortable in a 911 I'll see what I can get hold of and perhaps give it a proper squirt!!!  :P

9 hours ago, Teutonic said:

So YT did the business in the viper yet again. Sadly Captain close had an off road excursion on the last day trying to keep him honest. Hats off to him. Without him in the event it just wouldn’t be a competition. The two of them just ran away from the rest of the field. It was daylight behind them to Steve Glenney driving the wheels off the WRX STI. Kudos to Pritchard in another GT3RS who snagged second. He saw the light and ditched his viper in favour of the porka and has to be mr consistent. Is always there at amongst it at the finish. 

Sadly the Porsche tour disgraced the marque yet again. The tour leader crashed on Queenstown stage and another tour leader crashed on the final day downgrading the stage for the rest of the competitive field to a drive through. Genuinely can’t understand how these cars out for a spirited drive keep punching holes in the scenery. 

I wouldn't describe Glenney’s 2nd outright at only 1:05 behind as daylight. If the race had not been all dry (3rd time in 27 years) Glenney could easily have walked away with it. 

The leader of a non porsche tour put it on its lid at a very tricky spot. If the stage was not cancelled there would have been a lot of comp cars trashed. These spots pop up on various stages and in the past when not stopped have resulted in excessive risk to those getting out of comp cars and those trying to help them. That stage (30) was not suitable for racing on. 

23 hours ago, Teutonic said:

Kudos to Pritchard in another GT3RS who snagged second. He saw the light and ditched his viper in favour of the porka

Actually I believe the GT3 had not been delivered in time for last year's event...hence the used the next best car in 2017...mind you , he might have won in a Viper in '18 ;<)

Archived