Time has come - 944 advice, opinions and comments needed

18 hours ago, symsy said:

If I were a walk up , I would offer 4- 6k and probably hope to hustle with a view to repair it for 3-4k and then hopefuly get some paint done to get me back to a good drivable car.

$3-$4k to repair? you clearly do live in Byron @symsy the weed is getting to you

Part out the major pieces and scrap the rest; agree with @LeeM, you will be dealing with endless dickheads during the process

4 hours ago, Ozvino said:

$3-$4k to repair? you clearly do live in Byron @symsy the weed is getting to you

Part out the major pieces and scrap the rest; agree with @LeeM, you will be dealing with endless dickheads during the process

No I just dont hang at Porsche Melbourne

Mate I can get engines built for $50 and cars painted for $1500 admitedly I wouldnt give em my 911 … but a 944 ..yes ..especially if i had the bolt on parts.. , once that car was stripped i think you would be suprised how much may or may not be wrong with it ...

You need to get professional quotes done in order to make a decision that’s based on all the facts. 

It maybe cheaper to fix then you think, unlikely but if the plan was a paint job anyway do some man math. 

Take away the cost of the planned paint job from the total repair then it’s much cheaper to fix. ?

7 hours ago, symsy said:

Mate I can get engines built for $50 and cars painted for $1500 admitedly I wouldnt give em my 911 … but a 944 ..yes ..especially if i had the bolt on parts.. , once that car was stripped i think you would be suprised how much may or may not be wrong with it ...

You answered my first question

im not talking about PCM - look at the pictures. The rear quarters on those cars would be a lot of work, then you need bumpers, front guards, radiator, some mechanical work, valances, likely front of chassis to be straightened......possibly worse seeing it’s shunted hard

@Dreamr take Symsy up on his offer. $1550 for a respray and engine rebuild seems good value to me.....

Thanks to all for your input ...

I've been mulling over this one for a little while now and still haven't come up with an answer ... I keep going backwards and forwards.

I find it hard to see more than $5k - $6k needs to be spent to get it right ... although as others have said, I can't see if any chassis damage has occured which could throw things out ...

I have already had interest (off PFA) for the engine and other parts totalling $3k and that hasn't even touched the sides of all the parts left ...

In saying that, I think I'd prefer to sell it as a whole ... I'll probably end up listing it on gumtree and see if I can move it on.

Cheers .....

16 hours ago, symsy said:

The rails in front of the strut towers will be bent, possibly kinked mid strut tower if your unlucky. the rear quarters have to be cut off. radiator and support including coolers are all gone. i can see 25k to fix it perfectly. even if you did it yourself you would be looking at 3k in front and rear quarters, rear bumpers go for around the 500 mark and 1000 for the front because of how rare they are. valence panel another 300. Did any glass get damaged? you will need to find a radiator support and someone to weld it all back together. usually this is in the thousands buy Symsy, mate might do it for $40 ?. windows out respray you will be replacing a lot of seals if you do it right, probably another 2-3grand if you can still get them all. new windscreen. where does it stop. can i get your $50 contact for engine rebuild though?

Regards

Sean

Contact a few PORSCHE wreckers in particular Jenej in mlb . You’ll soon get a valuation.then you can add a bit more to it 

however I dont think as a whole unit it’s worth 4K.  You’ll soon learn why when it comes to stripping it cleaning parts labelling them and fielding dud head calls .

@LeeM summed it up well enough 

Tough call what to do , but every time next summer when you are whipper snipping around it , you’ll want rid of it.

alternately have Brandon enrol in a night TAFE resto course and buy him a porta puller and see where he goes.

i now know why on my wanted thread for 924 turbo bits this was commented on

vaguely tempted but I don’t think I need a disembowelled 944 hanging around indefinitely 

• 2 months later...

Thread update .....

DreamrJr's car has been sold ... and I'm really pleased to report that it was sold to ZAG Automotive ...

It is going to be fully restored to their high standards for one of the owners sons ...

As an Aussie delivered, matching numbers update model, I personally am over the moon that it's going to be saved ...

Thanks all for your input and once I get photos of it's progress, I will share them with you all ... ?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived