How many of your P's have oil leaks...

withers

After talking to people about this 964 I'm looking at, made me wonder how many owners are driving Porsches with small oil leaks?

Is it a common thing to have small leaks on a flat 6 engine found in the air cooled 911s?

Edit: this is a very broad and general question I know.. as you can have PS leaks, and any other types of leaks. I assume any other leak non-engine wise is easier to fix. Is that a correct assumption?

Small leak from an indent bolt on gearbox is the only one I've had. It was an easy home fix. The trouble with leaks, even small ones, is not the drips on the ground, it is the mess it makes of underneath the car when the oil gets blown around while driving. Not to mention the smell of it burning when it comes into contact with hot exhaust etc. It took me a while to identify where my leak was coming from for this reason.

Through bolt leaks were a common 964 problem. A tear down and reassembly is required once they go and I've been told that once that is done they generally never leak again.

yes I was told that eventually all 964 engines need a rebuild.

Do I hear the whooshing sound of a sweeping generalisation?

Sooner or later all engines need a rebuild.

As far as I'm aware, there were some peculiarities to the 964:

1. They were originally fitted with a tray beneath the engine which, in warm climes such as ours (possibly only north of Victoria :)) caused problems with overheating. Most, if not all, Aussie 964's have subsequently had the undertray removed.

2. The factory fit magnesium valve covers were prone to warping and resultant oil leaks. There are aftermarket billet aluminium replacements available which do not warp.

Mine used to leak, and leak quite a bit in the end. It's had a complete rebuild now and pleased to say totally free of leaks. Whenever I see a 911 parked or for sale I always take a peek under the rear, I do notice alot of them do leak (or weap) a slight amount. Especially if they have been sitting for a while..................

I agree Doug, I have 0w40 in my car at the moment which I reckon is too thin. Based on conversations I have had with people far more knowledgable than me, namely Mike from Spyder it should be 15w40. So that will be taken care of at the next service.

C

2 very small drips that I happen to be fixing right now. One is a stud on the rocker cover. Oil is seeping past the nylock nut. Two is one of the lines going from the oil pressure relief to the cooler at the front of the car. Methinks the oil line nut is going to be a bugger to get undone..

In fact I don't know why 0 rating oil is sold in Australia as its really for cold weather climates which we don't have.....

C

Chris, the reason is that when cold it's pretty much impossible to have a "too thin" oil. The thinner the oil, the easier it flows. As car peeps are mostly guys - 'scuse me, awit - we take solace in larger numbers. Oooh....look....nice high oil pressure! The truth is, that the high oil pressure you see in a cool engine comes at the expense of better oil flow, because pressure and flow are inversely related. And for a cool engine, flow is much more important.

This is not to say that oil pressure is unimportant, but flow is probably even more important than pressure. Oils that are thinner when cold still have higher pressure than is necessary, which means that even a 0wSomething oil is thicker than your engine needs at startup.

However, you wouldn't put synthetic 0W40 in a pre 98 Air cooled Mezger Motor would you? (In australia)

No, but I suspect that the answer has everything to do with the fact that 0W oils don't seem to like the dark; they always seem very keen to come out into the light.

I can't see that they would do anything but good for lubrication...even if some of that lubrication found its way out of the engine.

How's this for a angle guys.

Make a straight up 40W40 oil.

Put a heating element in the oil reservoir to take the oil to correct operating temperature in about 10 seconds. And yes you may need a big battery!! Start the car and don't worry about it!!!!!!!!!!

Reckon PFA can patent that?????????

Archived