Just had my first PDK drive, 981 boxster S,and bloody hell its good, I personally hate autos as I must be a control freak or something, and have never driven one that I would prefer over a manual, but PDK is something else and is virtually impossible to not be impressed with. 

Yeh I am a big PDK fan also and came away think how good they are the first time I drove one in a 2015 GT3 ,,,

the current version has had tweeks and soft ware up grade to make it even better ,,I most certainly would own one ...

4 minutes ago, Raven said:

Yeh I am a big PDK fan also and came away think how good they are the first time I drove one in a 2015 GT3 ,,,

the current version has had tweeks and soft ware up grade to make it even better ,,I most certainly would own one ...

Agree, I wouldn’t be pig headed about it, or too upset if it was all that was available.

1 hour ago, StevepGT3 said:

Just had my first PDK drive, 981 boxster S,and bloody hell its good, I personally hate autos as I must be a control freak or something, and have never driven one that I would prefer over a manual, but PDK is something else and is virtually impossible to not be impressed with. 

IMG_1626

I also had the pleasure of having a drive of that Boxster S.   My first go with a PDK as well.

Car is sensational, congratulations Higgo.

13 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

Agree, I wouldn’t be pig headed about it, or too upset if it was all that was available.

Not at all they are certainly not boring or any less exciting to drive a car fitted with PDK ..

and the changes at high RPM in sport plus are astonishingly fast ......You can see the benefits it has over a manual in a track environment ...

I also feel it work well on a high performance road car and offers the best off both worlds ...

you can drive it as a normal automatic if you desire or go full sport plus and work the paddles or the gear shifter 

Good Grief I'm shocked positive words about PDK :)

Once you really get to know it you will be even more impressed.

Leave it in full auto mode without sports mode selected and it will poodle around like a economy hatchback.

Select manual mode and sports plus and you will smile every time you nail it and shift up. This is the true genius of this box in manual mode sports plus it provides all the response and feel of a traditional manual car just significantly faster gear changes (which equates to the performance improvement over the manual) it also allows you to keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times which is a huge advantage through twisty tight mountain roads. Sports plus mode shifts make the overpriced sports chrono worthwhile!

On a downside you do however loose the traditional involvement that a manual operated clutch provides.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Yes they're pretty amazing boxes Steve, has the seed been planted ????

But having said that, a friend who has a 991GT3 RS misses his traded in 997.2 GT3. Steve you met Mark on our last get together a few weeks ago.

I’m good thanks jimmy, I was just surprised how good it was, I don’t think it was just the gearbox Mark misses.

The latest “PDK” is good in fact very good but the “PDK S” is at another level again. 

Lots of benefits lighter, faster shifting, no creep at idle etc and even a bit of gear rattle but my favorite is that pulling both paddles at the same time is the same as pressing in a manual clutch. Burnouts anybody?

Having driven non Porsche auto/tips prior i was blown away with the PDK on my first drive. I love it, even in auto @Grimmy it’s a bag of fun on the daily in traffic you can punch through those tight traffic spots with a flick of the fingers.?

on an SMT’s definitely needs to be in sports+ And manual otherwise it keeps trying to upshift as you come into corners when you want to hold engine braking speed.?

I totally get 3 pedals and love driving that way.

Having driven the RS at the Island during the week, the ability to transform the shift from slug to slammer was an eye opener.   Nothing better than PDK there.  

It also prevents the dreaded over rev.  It won’t let you select the lower gear until the speed is within range of the ratio.  

And after a “spirited” drive in the track, back into fat arm mode, AC on, tunes in the 8 track and a few client calls on the way home.  Try that in your Ferraghiniati ...

On road it’s equally good fun.  PDK Sport will always be better than PDK Skid but it’s good for sh*ts and giggles on the downshift as you ease it into the school drop off area ...

Archived