1st drive in a 991 tonight!

TrevMcRev

Holy crap! So my next door neighbour brings home a 991 Carrera PDK loaner for a couple of days.

Of course i go knock on the door!

Next thing i know - test drive.

Bugger me. INCREDIBLE.

I can't believe how far this car has evolved in the 10 years since my 996.2!

Oh, the induction sound....the guttural roar that comes from behind you when it senses the slightest bit of urgency from your right foot. You could play that soundtrack all day.

And it really is a Jekyll & Hide kind of car.

You can tootle about so sedately and it just feels like a real nice everyday car - meet Dr Jekyll.

But hit the Sport Plus button and out comes the evil Mr Hyde!

Now it wants..no no, demands to behave like a race car. The box of cogs knows exactly where to be before you do to get the most out of it. It wants to rev hard up through the gears and then when slowing up that blip of the throttle makes you feel like a pro!

I really just wanted to drive the thing all night.

I want one...

I might have to wait another 10 years to afford one.

Damn you Mr Hyde!

Take the S for a spin and you will be even more amazed. The torque difference between the base and the S is amazing. The PSE also sounds more intoxicating.

Cant wait for January ;)

I have been waiting for the day where I get back into a 911 and it will be happening again soon. This time to enjoy it with the girls, the reason I got out of one to begin with, 7 years in the wilderness. Once you have tasted the brilliance of a 911 you find it hard to go back to anything else.

Yeah Arthur, i were in disbelief that this was the "povo pack" ;) and commented "imagine was the S must be like"

You've got an awesome car coming - well done. And derailing to your wheels thread, the black ruegermesh on white will look wicked.

I hear you on the kids thing...that was when i parked my rallycar up (couldn't sell it though) 4 years on i decided getting a 911 was more family friendly than getting back into motorsport.

Take a 78 Super Carerra for a spin and really see the progress... Forget the PDK v's 5speed where you are intrensically rewarded when changing gears smoothly through a perfectly timed double clutch and blip on the gas - experience first hand the pleasure of having to walk around to the passenger side each time you take a passenger out so that you can politely open their side of the car up or having to learn the fine art of holding a cup of coffee between your legs while changing gears as drink holders was only found as a feature on the trays located on the back of Boing 707 seats.

Most importantly enjoy the manual steering, lack of noise insulation and harsh ride that shouts out go cart / sports car on every bump and groove never allowing you to think even for a second you are driving anything but something very special.

You got me thinking Doish...

I'd really like to test drive the 911 in reverse 10 year increments.

A 92, 82, 72, 62... would be really cool to do.

I'll just have to take the time out to actually stop for a coffee in between drives!

You got me thinking Doish...

I'd really like to test drive the 911 in reverse 10 year increments.

A 92, 82, 72, 62... would be really cool to do.

I'll just have to take the time out to actually stop for a coffee in between drives!

Next SMT Trev!!!!!!!!!

I am so envious. It sounds like an amazing ride.

Hope you guys ran it in first!!!

Doish, I'm with you brother.........nothing like a pure 911..!!!! (of course until I can afford a later model.. :) :) .)

You Guy's? Character? You should try the last of the watercooled, front engined Porsche breed !!!

Just had to put in my 2 cents worth !

Cheers,Mark.

:wub:

I am there with Mark. Try a 968CS!

I drove a 991 S PDK and yes, it was amazing. I played in the Adelaide Hills for hours.

Amazing yet somehow 'too good' , I didn't bond with the car at all. I drove it as hard as I could, Dancing on the edges of sanity............and Nothing. Even with all the systems off..........

It was strange..........I didn't walk away from it working out how I could get one...............

They are 309k on road.

I must be getting old, but I Like the pre 98 Porsches the most. With the exception of the Panamera and the new 981 Boxster.

They certainly have come a long way.

Go for a long country drive in a stock 356 Delight in the delicate steering, the way the car dances over bumps, wheel jiggling slightly beneath your figure tips as it positively sings along at 4-4500rpm.

Balance it on the throttle, tail running wide down a mountain twisty, remembering you have drum brakes as it gets a bit squirrely over the bumps as you approach the next hairpin bend.

Absolutely delightful!

Dont get me wrong I enjoy the 964s and 993s. I also thoroughly enjoy the new generation too. I would take a 964 and 993 to have as a stable mate for the 991 anyday. My wife has always wanted a 356 and one day I hope I can give her that wish.

At this point in time of my life I believe the 991 is the best option at the moment for me. I would not put my girls in the back seat of a pre 98 car. Am I paranoid? Yes. Is the car safe enough? Probably, but no where near as safe as the 991 will be. A classic is for me as an individual to enjoy and love. The 991 is for us as a family to enjoy.

Performance wise its amazing. Does it have too many nanny controls maybe but do I have the skills or the roads to push it beyond its means far from it. Unless you take any of these cars to the track you will never truely test their limits - provided you want to do it in a safe environment. In my younger and stupid days I did Burwood East to Clayton in under 6 minutes - how stupid was that - did I test the limits of the 996 at the time, nope.

They certainly have come a long way.

Go for a long country drive in a stock 356 Delight in the delicate steering, the way the car dances over bumps, wheel jiggling slightly beneath your figure tips as it positively sings along at 4-4500rpm.

Balance it on the throttle, tail running wide down a mountain twisty, remembering you have drum brakes as it gets a bit squirrely over the bumps as you approach the next hairpin bend.

Absolutely delightful!

Interestingly I hopped out of the 991 S and into my 356 SC and drove 100kms home. I was thinking that I'd feel like I had gone backwards..............But I didn't, you could feel the cars connections between each other, they still drove and even sounded the same! (Yep, the intake roar of the 991 and SC had the same tone and note!) The alarming thing was that I was working and DRIVING the 356 and still not really breaking the law and the reward it gives me is a big grin.......everytime. When I got home I had to sit and think, how, could I possibly enjoy a 48 Year old car more than a brand new 300k 400Bhp 991? Because , I did and I just have to accept that..........

Dont get me wrong I enjoy the 964s and 993s. I also thoroughly enjoy the new generation too. I would take a 964 and 993 to have as a stable mate for the 991 anyday. My wife has always wanted a 356 and one day I hope I can give her that wish.

At this point in time of my life I believe the 991 is the best option at the moment for me. I would not put my girls in the back seat of a pre 98 car. Am I paranoid? Yes. Is the car safe enough? Probably, but no where near as safe as the 991 will be. A classic is for me as an individual to enjoy and love. The 991 is for us as a family to enjoy.

Performance wise its amazing. Does it have too many nanny controls maybe but do I have the skills or the roads to push it beyond its means far from it. Unless you take any of these cars to the track you will never truely test their limits - provided you want to do it in a safe environment. In my younger and stupid days I did Burwood East to Clayton in under 6 minutes - how stupid was that - did I test the limits of the 996 at the time, nope.

I see your point and if I was in the market for a modern sports car, it would be a 991 without a doubt. However, I take my 2.5 Yr old daughter in the back seat of the 356 and the Carrera 3.0 and she loves it. Would a 991 be safer? Probably......but its limits are FAR higher , so it has to be safer! + I don't do any spirited driving with My Family present :) they tend to yell alot.........after one lap of the Nurburgring Nordschliefe, My wife got out yelling at me, with all and sundry laughing....................Including me, I wasn't going fast at all I thought.

Its people like me that keep 993 prices higher than 996 prices. Nostaligic!

The current 911 has no peer in the market.......its a no brainer as a new car.

The alarming thing was that I was working and DRIVING the 356 and still not really breaking the law and the reward it gives me is a big grin.......everytime. When I got home I had to sit and think, how, could I possibly enjoy a 48 Year old car more than a brand new 300k 400Bhp 991? Because , I did and I just have to accept that..........

I regularly feel the same way about the 993. Albeit it's not a 356 I am regularly reminded of my cruising speed when other cars are overtaking. Although capable of very high speeds on occassion I find myself sitting at 80 or 90 in a hundred zone. The lower profile than original, the PSS10 Bilsteins and some RS bits and the senses become alive!! Always feels faster than what it really is.

Ideal solution to this banter - own one of all 3 models.

Would love a 991 anyway of the week - will also throw that in

I know if I could get away with it I would be buying a 993 tomorrow morning :) Use it as my daily driver and love every minute with it. One of my neighbours has a 997S and a late 70s early 80s 911, don’t know which one, haven’t seen it that often but I can tell you I stand still listen and smile every time I hear the exhaust note. I don’t dislike the classics I just love the progress more. If I had a bottomless pit of money I would literally fill the garage with p-cars, and I can tell you now the garage is not your average 2 or 3 car garage.

I have been going through the carsales.com.au adds lately and got a clip over the ear from the wife :) she thinks I am nuts and obsessed for looking at the older models.

I regularly feel the same way about the 993. Albeit it's not a 356 I am regularly reminded of my cruising speed when other cars are overtaking. Although capable of very high speeds on occassion I find myself sitting at 80 or 90 in a hundred zone. The lower profile than original, the PSS10 Bilsteins and some RS bits and the senses become alive!! Always feels faster than what it really is.

Agree totally.....(even if mine is an old SC) :D :D

Why is that?

The 993 for me will always be special for many reasons. Don’t get me wrong the 996 was a wonderful car. Easy to drive, silky smooth 6speed manual (till I put the SSK in - loved it even more with the notchy gear shifts - just the wife couldnt put it in reverse) all the creature comforts you could want or need at the time. BUT I missed the quirky seating position of the 993, the exhaust / air intake noise of the air cooled engine and the rawness of the car. The fact you could push the rear end out at will was great At the same time it did scare the crap out of me at times. All part and parcel of the car.

If I were to get a 996 it would be to turn it into a track monster where if it did crap itself so be it (not that I have $40K to blow up). I couldn’t do that to a 993 it would be criminal.......

Ok this argument is settled in this months Top Gear Mag which has a shoot out between 2012 model vs 1992 911.

We are talking about a 20 year jump. So the 964 will be the comparison car.

I love the 964s and they were an amazing Porsche but I'm really concerned that "Top Gear" won't do them justice.

Archived