Choices - similar $$ buying a classic or a new ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, DJM said:

@OBRUT @hugh what's a realistic spend to get that ^^ or something like Hugh's bluey in this market?

forget about original, matching #s, concourse paint.  Neat and tidy but useable.  

I’ll pass you on Rohan details. ;)

4 hours ago, OBRUT said:

I meant the architecture of the chassis not the engine. A 3.6 in a light early car with skinny tyres can be a bit “all motor”.

Different in a mid year car, as you have a bit more weight and usually a 8 or 9 inch rear wheel and more tyre, say 225 or 245.  

Same idea though, my thoughts were just in context for people chasing the long hood car look/feel. 

i thought my longhood was broken with the 3.6 in it at first. no traction if you mash the throttle.

my G body car puts the power down no fuss, 245 tyre and upwards.

a lot of it comes down to suspension tuning, my impact bumper car is still torsion bar and everything, just tuned to be very stable.

12 hours ago, DJM said:

@OBRUT @hugh what's a realistic spend to get that ^^ or something like Hugh's bluey in this market?

forget about original, matching #s, concourse paint.  Neat and tidy but useable.  

Hard to say given the possible variations, maybe circa 120-150?  I’d be looking for club and track type cars with good mechanicals. Easier to pull a cage out and fit nice seats/carpet than chase rust for an eternity. 

Suspension is pretty easy and the workable combos are pretty well known.  Torsion bars are fine.  Brakes need very little work.

Even a cis 2.7 or 3.0 will push an early car along very well.  Add carbies for look, sound and a little throttle response down the track.

Another option is a 74/75 narrow body IB car.  I think you could make a clean little hot rod out of one of these and they are still on the simpler, lighter side.  And not yet really valued by most.  

77 hotrod , 964 and or 997 GT3 , come talk to me if u want to part with ur money , u just have to make a decision 🤣 I’m collecting cash , you need 100k stake money  to get a call answered ..

On 04/04/2019 at 21:10, DJM said:

Our '67 912 cheat is in the 100 - 120 range for costs to this point (what it's worth is a different market question)- paint is 7/10, engine is 2.7 warmed over with webbers, track past, currently stripped road trim interior, good suspension, S brakes.  I see it as an entry price into the longhood hotrod thing & it would only go up from there wrt price.  Driving enjoyment is up there (it's the best aircooled I've driven for pure thrills) but it's a long way from a collector/investment car - all the joy is in the driving.  I feel that a tickled up 3.0 or 2.7 engine is better in the earlier cars than a 3.2 as they feel a bit more 'zingy' & a bit less torquey if that makes sense....never been a fan of the 3.2's but I've only driven motronic versions.  I can't imagine a 3.6 on the skinny rubber & smaller brakes but that's probably more a question of driver taste (skill/testicle size?) & hp desires than anything else.  I like @OBRUT idea of an early narrow body IB - getting harder to find clean versions of these.

Has it been on a dyno Tom? I reckon 200hp out of a 4 cylinder will be pretty manic with revs, so it will be interesting where it makes max hp. A friend has a 56 beetle that has close to that hp and is bonkers fast (scary with just lap belts in it too!), so I imagine the 912 will hoot along nicely 

7 hours ago, hugh said:

SWB I'm assuming? Will be a hoot. 

yep - 68 912 - my sleeper cafe racer. Off to Luft 6 next month where I am hoping the car will be in the event. Have it insured and registered to drive over there so will get a chance to take it up the ACH, out to Palm Springs. Might even do a San Fran run as I will be there about a week. A thorough testing before shipping it back here. 

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

Has it been on a dyno Tom? I reckon 200hp out of a 4 cylinder will be pretty manic with revs, so it will be interesting where it makes max hp. A friend has a 56 beetle that has close to that hp and is bonkers fast (scary with just lap belts in it too!), so I imagine the 912 will hoot along nicely 

Benton has given it a good look over and tweaked Deans original set up...found another 20hp. Dean also had it a bit full on on idle. Loving my tangy 912 - this will be different for sure

46 minutes ago, turboT said:

Benton has given it a good look over and tweaked Deans original set up...found another 20hp. Dean also had it a bit full on on idle. Loving my tangy 912 - this will be different for sure

With probably double the horsepower of Tangy, I'd say it will be a fun ride

Archived