Stolen Porsche 944 turbo and its parts

5 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Is the buyer also the thief ????

Unfortunately it was common practice many decades ago a thief would steal & strip a car leaving only the traceable components then buy it back at auction & reassemble it ready for sale. Many high end sports cars of the 80's & 90's suffered this fate, this is why the written off vehicle register (WOVA) was put in place. This 944 being over 15 years old the WOVA does not apply so hypothetically the thief or his buddies may have bought it to put it back together & sell it.. Sad..

13 hours ago, Jason A said:

Is the buyer also the thief ????

Not that i know of, it was an open auction so anyone that knew about it could bid. You know something different?

13 hours ago, James P said:

Unfortunately it was common practice many decades ago a thief would steal & strip a car leaving only the traceable components then buy it back at auction & reassemble it ready for sale. Many high end sports cars of the 80's & 90's suffered this fate, this is why the written off vehicle register (WOVA) was put in place. This 944 being over 15 years old the WOVA does not apply so hypothetically the thief or his buddies may have bought it to put it back together & sell it.. Sad..

There truely are some terrible people out there. Makes me wonder how someone could justify stealing someones else belongings and carry on with life

3 hours ago, Coastr said:

I don’t understand how the owner didn’t get the car back?  Is that because the insurance paid out?

From what i know the car was insured and the owner got a payout, (it was just over a quarter of what he has put into the car over the past t years making it a competitive targa Tas car). In a few cases you can have on your policy the right to buy the car back from the insurance company before it goes to auction. In this case although the insurance company said a few times on the phone that this would happen it wasn't actually on his policy. So it might be a good idea to check your policies and see if this is the case. Not that anyone wants to be in this situation but if its not much more of a cost or simple negotiation with your insurance company i would jump at the chance.

Most of the speciality insurers (Ryno, Shannons etc.) let you keep the car if it's over 30 years old and its an accident write off.

If it's stolen and they pay out and the car is recovered, they keep the wreck / recovery to sell and recoup costs.