Sticky Switch Fix in 987 Caymans and Boxster

Mike D'Silva

I just finished changing the switches in my 987 Boxster.. I imagine the process will be the same for a cayman or a 997 911 too.

Those that have these cars, are familiar with the fan and temp switch on the HVAC unit becoming sticky and horrible to the touch.. I ordered some replacements from Climarepair which arrived in approx 2-3 weeks. 

First you need to remove the hvac unit.. I didn't take any pics of this, but it is dead easy.. 2 small torx bolts on either side of the console, remove the carpet pads.. you have to feel in the carpet to find the head of the bolt. Once undone, the carpeted cover simply comes away from the console.

Update: here's a photo of the "hidden" location of the torx bolt on left and right of the console.

Left side:pEyifpn.jpg

Right side: xXsbhRl.jpg

Then you need to undo another 2 torx bolts that hold the vinyl side pieces to the console. Once you remove these 2 torx bolts (smaller than the 1st one), you remove the moulding by pulling it forwards to the cabin.. it will then pop out of its retaining spring clips.

Now you can remove the hvac control unit.. there are no bolts holding it to the console unit.. just a couple of lightweight spring clips.. which you depress with each hand, and at the same time, pull the unit forward. Remove the 2 plugs in the back and begin the 'surgery'.

In this photo, you can see how mukky the controls were.

y5omCkM.jpg

These little felt tabs are covering more torx screws to be removed. 

6ToyZDi.jpg

aLB8rh4.jpg

9K1N9J8.jpg

remove all 4 and the face pops out.

yB8KrTN.jpg

scary stuff inside!

bQBLJij.jpg

You can see the little white legs of the backs of the switches.. Need to undo the remaining torx screws to get the pcb apart.

Cc3Cqsi.jpg

WNHRzde.jpg

The faceplate pulls away and this rubber padded piece is in place. This provides the "spring" for the buttons to return after you press them. 

n2V6i1a.jpg

Remove the rubber pad to reveal the buttons 

LuPf2WH.jpg

In this photo, you can see the plastic cylinders, which operate between the edges of the switch and the rubber pad as the return spring.

S4ylBIx.jpg

I found that the easiest way to remove the switches, was to gently lever the 'legs' away from the retaining clip. They are not very stiff, so you will be able to lever them out pretty easily. 

Qr0DM3k.jpg

Once you lever it out, remove the switch and replace with a new one. And then re assemble everything.

Pkaxk9B.jpg

The finished item.. 

TggoA5d.jpg

Sorry for the lack of photos, but it is pretty easy. First one takes 20 minutes.. next one takes 2.

2 hours ago, firstone said:

You are one seriously good Mechanic Mike. Great pics there and plenty of info. You have a nack with that side too.

Cheers; just added a couple extra photos showing location of the hidden torx bolts that hold the carpeted pieces.

• 3 years later...

I just replaced my sticky buttons. The ones I used were on Amazon and much cheaper than the climarepair ones. It worked out to about $70 including postage. I’m happy with the result. 

This was the last job to do in my interior after replacing shift cables, First Function bush kit, new door speakers, fixing a floppy door handle and installing a Sony CarPlay unit. Nice to have everything back together again. 

Nice instructions Mike!

B15C2121-01E4-48EB-A608-7B77CFED9D7C.jpeg

7FC8EE1F-00C6-40D3-9553-3EDF5B428FEA.jpeg

8 minutes ago, base said:

I just replaced my sticky buttons. The ones I used were on Amazon and much cheaper than the climarepair ones. It worked out to about $70 including postage. I’m happy with the result. 

This was the last job to do in my interior after replacing shift cables, First Function bush kit, new door speakers, fixing a floppy door handle and installing a Sony CarPlay unit. Nice to have everything back together again. 

Nice instructions Mike!

7FC8EE1F-00C6-40D3-9553-3EDF5B428FEA.jpeg

Big fail mate, you forgot to vacuum the carpets before taking photos........   

Oh wait, this isn't a for sale advert, all is forgiven 😁  Good job though, we should have done that on our Boxster when we had it....

8 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Big fail mate, you forgot to vacuum the carpets before taking photos........   

Oh wait, this isn't a for sale advert, all is forgiven 😁  Good job though, we should have done that on our Boxster when we had it....

It’s funny. As soon as I posted that photo I knew someone would comment on the dirt. The car does get driven! 

2 minutes ago, base said:

It’s funny. As soon as I posted that photo I knew someone would comment on the dirt. The car does get driven! 

Great to hear, I'm the same.  Nice to have a clean car once and a while, but I usually prefer to be driving rather than cleaning.....