Fan Questions Fans

symsy

I see many folks painting fans , a question as much I like colour underdone .. I’m a white dude 😄

I am pulling the TTs fan out to do the alternator ..I’m wondering to repaint

Questions my car is stock and clean but 23 yrs if grime does show a little 

whats your favourite colour in silver / graphite 

do you sand blast , they are magnesium , is this wise ? 

Do you just clearcoat?

For those who painted did you use a caliper style of paint for the heat? If not what’s ur running report how long has your paint job lasted with use?

Fanatically thankful for your replies 

Good topic -  I will be very interested in your action, please record for posterity. Someone painted my fan surround  (993) red & I would like to change it.

I have heard that sand blasting is a no-no; I guess that is because fans & surrounds are delicate magnesium??? Love to know the truth.

I think the fan is just a high zinc diecast part. When I replaced mine I tooled around with the old one, and it didn't show characteristics of mg.  Check it by putting some white vinegar on it. If it reacts, it's mg. Most of the housing models are mg.   You can lightly bead blast the fan. I've got a can of the sprog that was applied post casting. I'll send you the name of it. You can get it from supercheap.

As for the mg housing, you need to put a phosphate coating on it, else it will continue to tarnish. Then you can paint it.

great topic.  a PO of my engine had painted it orange, and when I got a paint job I had it body colour matched.

As it turned out, the PO who originally painted it didn't do good job on the etching prior to painting, so the whole lot started to chip/flake off in chunks.  30mins later and I literally peeled all of the paint off and now wondering what direction to go in

I went through the same thought process around 5 years ago when I go the alternator in my 3.2 reconditioned ( a good time to consider). 

Personally, I think the ceramic coating is by far the best look but at that point in time, I couldn't find anyone local to do it. 

My fan and shroud didn't really have much pitting, it was just the build up of corrosion that annoyed me given how patchy it looks.

I got the fan and shroud powder coated and it has held up extremely well over the years.  I've attached a pic, I suppose the only thing is it looks a little too glossy in the sun.

I recall seeing an engine rebuild pic posted by @jnr356 some time ago, could find it, but the treatment on that fan and shroud looked pretty original.

https://i.imgur.com/Ql9fAcd.jpg

https://imgur.com/Ql9fAcd (looks like my attachments aren't working :(

2 hours ago, Stepo said:

I went through the same thought process around 5 years ago when I go the alternator in my 3.2 reconditioned ( a good time to consider). 

Personally, I think the ceramic coating is by far the best look but at that point in time, I couldn't find anyone local to do it. 

My fan and shroud didn't really have much pitting, it was just the build up of corrosion that annoyed me given how patchy it looks.

I got the fan and shroud powder coated and it has held up extremely well over the years.  I've attached a pic, I suppose the only thing is it looks a little too glossy in the sun.

I recall seeing an engine rebuild pic posted by @jnr356 some time ago, could find it, but the treatment on that fan and shroud looked pretty original.

https://i.imgur.com/Ql9fAcd.jpg

https://imgur.com/Ql9fAcd (looks like my attachments aren't working :(

Here ya go Stepo 😉

Ql9fAcd.jpg

Mine was pretty badly corroded. Had it vapour blasted at Autohaus and it cleaned up well but badly pitted.

Because the fan is the hero of these cars, I spent quite a bit of time filling the pitting in both the fan & housing with J-B Weld. Lots of sanding finishing with wet & dry.

It was quite a lot of work but came out a treat. Had it all Cerakoted and it looks better than new and will last a long time.

Re-cad plated the pulley & Autohaus riveted it back on for me.

Cerakote applicator:

Demon Performance Coatings
625 Parramatta Road, Leichhardt, NSW 2042
MOB: 0424 140 677 | E-mail: sales@demonperformancecoatings.com.au
www.facebook.com/cerakotesydney
Products offered: High Temp Coatings & Prismatic Powders

20190106_175517.jpg

20190106_175643.jpg

Archived