Hi from Sydney!

Hi Kev, I have also been following your thread on PF. Has inspired me to get stuck in and do as much work to my car as I can, although so far that has equated to nothing too technical. Great to have another 964er on the boards!

Sorry Kev it just cracked me up as I'm always getting flack for living in my pair.

Uncle having owned a car once with a brass button clutch I know how much you could sweat it taking off on steep hill starts without either stalling or smoking the tyres off the mark. doing it a pair of jandels is just mad.

• 1 year later...

Stumbled upon Babalouie's latest adventures here -

http://www.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67295487-Bab-s-FD-Rotary-Adventure-Time

399A78E3-BDDE-4E55-A4EC-D95DD3F89967.jpg

Also, interesting to get his take on life after the 964...

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by XXX19X viewpost-right.png
Tell me more about this vs the 911 you had previously.

Hmm...velly interesting question.

In objective terms, I think the FD is the better car. Before you even get to the driving impressions, it's 10yrs newer, 100kg lighter and 30hp more powerful, the aircon is colder, the heater hotter etc. It feels quicker and easier to drive and should be somewhat superior on laptime, and I don't have any doubt about that.

But then again...you don't buy old 911s for outright performance, and if that is what you want, you'd get a LanEvo instead...so I think this has to be a question of which car has the better driver's appeal and we have to leave objective performance off the table.

The appeal of 911s is really in its character, and even to sit in one feels very different from other cars. There's the rock-solid feel of the body, and the tactility of the controls. Drive one, and you'll remember how distinctive it was, I bet that 10yrs later you'd still be able to identify a 911's feel while blindfold (and you'd prolly remember how easy it was to stall and how weird the gearchange felt!). Even if you don't even like 911s, if you have petrol in your veins you will understand why many ppl do...hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts and racing drivers who love 911 aren't wrong.

So on that note of showroom appeal, the FD can't compete. The steering and controls are Japanese-light, and the overall build quality is nothing special. A 911 is distinctive just to sit in, but the FD's only distinction while stationary, is the very tight and low-slung seating position as you said. 

Once you get moving though, things get worse for the FD. The 911 will continue to weave its spell with really tactile, feelsome steering and brakes, while you might mark it down for a notchy gearshift and a spooky clutch that makes it easy to stall. It'll also feel amazingly tight and solid and for a 20yr old car, it'll feel remarkable at how there isn't a single rattle or squeak to be heard. 

In terms of handling, a 911 will feel challenging, and you'll feel this loud and clear, even after a short drive. The nose will feel like it doesn't have enough weight over it, and if you boot it in a tight roundabout, the front will wash out helplessly at a surprisingly low speed. Contrary to magazine reports, you are much more likely to understeer than oversteer off into the bushes on a spirited winding road drive, and so your initial impressions will be on how pushy and awkward it feels (and it won't help that you're struggling with the gearshift on the way into the corner). 

But after a while, you get faster and faster, and start to commit more on corner entry, and as you carry more speed and brake harder into the turns...you get more weight transfer and the nose mysteriously starts to key into the road and then you begin this... dialogue (for lack of a better word) with the 911. It'll move around a lot and slide around a bit, and there's no doubt that you have to *drive* it properly to make it handle. If you're in convoy with a Lancer Evo, it'll have disappeared into the distance by now, but it's this interactivity with the chassis that has kept 911 fans interested for decades. Not everyone likes it, but as I said before...if you have petrol in your veins you will understand why the car has so many fans.

FD, on the other hand is different, it's like a really evolved MX5. Turn into a corner and it seems to tread lightly, spreading its weight carefully amongst its four tyres and feeling very balanced and nimble. Unlike the 911, which requires some skill, this seems at first to be too easy. But like an MX5, you start to push harder and make your inputs more minimal and it just...flows, and because the power delivery is quite soft, it is not the spiky, tense experience that fast road driving in a 911 can be. With the 911 it's all about managing understeer and oversteer, but the FD just sails around a corner with zero slip angle and hit a bump or a dip and it handles it, no problem. The power just builds in a really linear fashion, and compared to the 911, it's swear-out-loud fast at 8000rpm in 3rd gear. And it's all so carefully worked out and precise, it's a car that you drive with your hands at a quarter-to-three on the wheel, and seemingly you don't need more than a quarter turn of lock each way when you're having fun. Certainly the best winding road car I've owned.

And when you slow down, you notice the astonishing smoothness of the engine, and marvel at how you have to keep checking the tach to ensure that it hasn't actually stalled. It's Lexus-quiet unless you're on it, and so smooth and quiet.But of course it makes that classic rotary noise in the upper ranges, and as a powerplant, IMHO it's every bit as charismatic as the Porsche flat six (and a good deal faster).

A good friend asked me that the other day...if both the 964 and the FD were the same price, which would I prefer?

Good question smile.gif

Archived