996 carplay and reversing camera

MFX

• 3 months later...

Hi Jeff

Great video. I'm looking to ungrade the same on my 996.

I think that the amp in my car has also had it as sound only comes from the speakers on the right hand side.

Could you tell me which site on Amazon did you find the surrounds?

Thanks

John

4 hours ago, gelb996 said:

Hi Jeff

I think that the amp in my car has also had it as sound only comes from the speakers on the right hand side.

Thanks

John

John, look the following sites, punch in the car model and all will be revealed. You might also require an antenna adaptor and Porsche/European wiring adaptor. Good car audio outlets usually have both adaptors in stock and will order the facia & din housing.

Aerpro Australia or Stinger Australia... 

1 hour ago, WB997.2GTS said:

John, look the following sites, punch in the car model and all will be revealed. You might also require an antenna adaptor and Porsche/European wiring adaptor. Good car audio outlets usually have both adaptors in stock and will order the facia & din housing.

Aerpro Australia or Stinger Australia... 

Yes, I worked out later that it could have been a much simpler plug and play situation.

On 26/04/2020 at 11:32, gelb996 said:

Hi Jeff

Thanks

John

I followed a similar route to that of Jeff's..  If you can get delivery at the moment, here's your start point.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3T0ZBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found Aerpro to be quite expensive on a different install (a Golf) and the fit and finish not as good as the Amazon product that I received.

• 3 months later...
On 26/04/2020 at 15:58, gelb996 said:

Thanks

I'll check out these sites

Did you end up purchasing the surrounds & wiring adapters by any chance? If so do you mind sharing where from and if you were happy with the quality please. I'm looking  to do an install on my newly acquired 996 Cab shortly.

Thank you for the video @MFX, you have a new subscriber. 

10 hours ago, Prodigy said:

Did you end up purchasing the surrounds & wiring adapters by any chance? If so do you mind sharing where from and if you were happy with the quality please. I'm looking  to do an install on my newly acquired 996 Cab shortly.

Thank you for the video @MFX, you have a new subscriber. 

You can get the adapter from Supercheap.

Just now, Prodigy said:

Thank you, i assume you mean just the antenna adaptor? I can't seem to find the wiring adaptor on their website.

Both the antenna and the actual plug in wiring loom.

6 minutes ago, Prodigy said:

Thank you, i assume you mean just the antenna adaptor? I can't seem to find the wiring adaptor on their website.

Both the antenna and the actual plug in wiring loom.

You just need the universal male ISO harness which was on the shelf in my local Supercheap.

https://aerpro.com/vehicles/porsche/porsche-911-1998-2004-996

Hi Prodigy,

My whole radio and amp has been playing up so i've decided to replace the whole system including speakers.

I've been gathering all the bits I need with the intention of installing in a few months time, When I get a break from work.

Autobarn were having a 30% sale a couple of months back so i bought the following unit.

Alpine iLX - W650E head unit

Alpine KTA -450 Amp, this unit bolts directly on to the back of the head unit. Thereby no need for a separate amp.

Alpine S-S40 speakers. The existing speaker mounts need to be modified and there are a number of youtube videos showing how to cut down the existing housing to fit the new speakers.

After watching numerous you tube videos there are a number of modifications that need to be undertaken to fit the Alpine unit.

The Alpine head unit requires  a connection to the brake line to operate all the functions on the head unit, to overcome this the solution is to purchase a microbypass. I bought this on Amazon.

An antennae connector plug is required to connect the old plug to any new radio, I purchased this on ebay.

For the installation in the dash I purchased a METRA 99-9605B installation kit on Amazon. This kit seem to be good quality.

Hope that this helps

1 hour ago, gelb996 said:

Hi Prodigy,

My whole radio and amp has been playing up so i've decided to replace the whole system including speakers.

I've been gathering all the bits I need with the intention of installing in a few months time, When I get a break from work.

Autobarn were having a 30% sale a couple of months back so i bought the following unit.

Alpine iLX - W650E head unit

Alpine KTA -450 Amp, this unit bolts directly on to the back of the head unit. Thereby no need for a separate amp.

Alpine S-S40 speakers. The existing speaker mounts need to be modified and there are a number of youtube videos showing how to cut down the existing housing to fit the new speakers.

After watching numerous you tube videos there are a number of modifications that need to be undertaken to fit the Alpine unit.

The Alpine head unit requires  a connection to the brake line to operate all the functions on the head unit, to overcome this the solution is to purchase a microbypass. I bought this on Amazon.

An antennae connector plug is required to connect the old plug to any new radio, I purchased this on ebay.

For the installation in the dash I purchased a METRA 99-9605B installation kit on Amazon. This kit seem to be good quality.

Hope that this helps

Awesome, thanks mate very helpful, keep us updated on how the install goes.

23 hours ago, gelb996 said:

Hi Prodigy,

Or you can usually just ground that parking brake connection 😉

2 hours ago, gelb996 said:

Hi Prodigy 

No my car doesn't have cup holders

Check the Metra web site you can search by vehicle model

Thank you for the reply gelb996, i had a look at the Metra website and it does say to use the 99-9605B for a 2003 model, i have however sent them an email to confirm.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Metra harness and the surrounds in my 996 and works and looks perfect. Only thing that is lame, is the storage cubby replacement - OEM is much better.

You can really install a dual-din in the 996 with simple ease using the MOST-converter box ($80). Took about 45 mins to install once we figured it out.