Exhaust

Arne Krix

Reported by Andrew in Australia, March 2017:

I received your exhaust system within 5 days of you sending (Belgium to Australia). I had the system fitted 5 days later with a 'TT' style tip that I had made locally.
The sound of the system is excellent and NO DRONE. At idle there is a subtle burble, rev the engine and an exhilarating note fills the air, not too loud, not a high scream more a growl.
With driving the car you just want to hear the engine rev (this could lead to trouble with the law as breaking the speed limit is inevitable), the sound in the cabin is great, not disturbing but certainly enough to bring out the racing driver in you.
Gear changes are better as you can now hear what the engine is doing. Having completed the 160klm settling in period (ECU auto adjustment) the system has come on song, and is perfect.
I choose the Carnewal GT system after months of internet searching, listening, pricing, I beleive that I looked at every system available for the Cayman, the only system that I felt had NO DRONE, was an easy fit and had great reviews was the Carnewal GT (the youtube videos do not give an accurate sound, the exhaust definitely has a better overall tone, less crackly and a lower note).
Thank you for great service and a great product.

Arne:

just saw this review and and I got to say,: ' I say what he says' ,.... , Andrews comments describe it well , I was intrigued by his comment about gear changes ,since I had a 'spirited' run through the gears on a windy section , and  rather than just getting a turbine kind of whine from the back , I can hear the engine telling me where we're at. I am mystified why Porsche would not engineer the exhaust to this sound in the first place. I can promise , once you have driven  a Cayman with this exhaust , you will not want to go back to Stock. Could this have to do with marketing , creating the 'step' in evolution 911/ Cayman , other than reduced horsepower , etc.?  

Arne. Agree 100%.

I definitely feel Porsche went out of their way to ensure the Boxster/cayman didn’t get the same HP and most certainly didn’t get the same sound as the 911. While frustrating it was smart business as why sabotage a market for selling $230k cars by making the $130k car have the same experience. As a massive Porsche fan, having the company financially sound and viable is a good thing, even if they short changed us cayman and Boxster crowd.

1 hour ago, 550Spyder said:

Arne. Agree 100%.

I definitely feel Porsche went out of their way to ensure the Boxster/cayman didn’t get the same HP and most certainly didn’t get the same sound as the 911. While frustrating it was smart business as why sabotage a market for selling $230k cars by making the $130k car have the same experience. As a massive Porsche fan, having the company financially sound and viable is a good thing, even if they short changed us cayman and Boxster crowd.

‚Short changed‘ to me is a matter of interpretation. On the one hand you have less HP , on the other hand you get unparalleled handling with this chassis and mid engine concept. Personally I do like hill climbs , tight cornering and pushing to the limit . The Cayman is tons of fun in that  respect. The 2.7 holds its ground well , if I was looking for improvements, probably a 3.4 with ECU tune , 6 speed manual , etc . It seems to be more fun driving flat out in the twisties , than holding back and trying to control too much power. If trackdays were my first love , I would want 450 Hp . For now I am very happy with my croc , the way she handles and theSOUND.💣

Arne, don’t misunderstand me. I’m not having a crack at the Boxster or cayman. Neither is a 911 but let’s face it, other manufacturers have been trying to match or beat the 911 for 50 years And haven’t come close .

Both Boxster and cayman  are great cars in their own right and to call them entry level would be a disservice. They are same but different, superb fun and are ‘proper’ Porsche’s.

i am just grumbly about the soundtrack but I think you and grandmaster girt may have part of the solution.

P.s. i recall Nick mason commenting that even when you have 900hp, you always wish you had a few more.

1 minute ago, Arne Krix said:

Are you in Melbourne?

I'm in Sydney.

Like you I've been underwhelmed by the stock soundtrack. Currently considering options as there is a local option for 987 exhaust modification as well.

Bugger, if you were in Melbourne, you could have checked out my car. I hear droning is an issue with a lot of modified systems.i have uploaded a photo of the internal of a Carnewal GT. Maybe run by your local, see what they think. 

1 hour ago, Mike D'Silva said:

If anyone needs, I have a low mileage set of 987.1 Cayman S rear mufflers that would be a good candidate for modding.

same , I am in Melbourne , my stock mufflers have done 45000 km , looking mint , no rust , come with welded on pipes , for 'Twinpipe ' look when fitted. $350 each.

Hi All. 

I see your posts about looking for a louder meaner sounding exhaust. I do retrofit switchable PSE kits for 996 and 997 which do exactly that in Sport mode. But sound stock in normal Mode. I also have a set of 987 Cayman exhausts in stock and the same switching concept will work when retrofitted on a Cayman / Boxster. So let me know if anyone is interested. The kit I have developed uses a factory dash switch. But is stand alone to the Ecu etc. Also zero drone! 

Here is a sample on a 996 carrera. 

managed to do a short film of the new exhaust, we could only do 60-80 max speeds but it will give you an idea what the sound of the upgrade is like

6 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

You must be stoked Arne, great sound, obnoxious, loud n hot. Good result and a quick turn around. Didn't notice any sticks hit your car? Old mate lives there and has a penchant for throwing sticks at repeated loud fast cars on the Inverness Rd hill climb.

Well... we were loud and SLOW , there is a good short speed section towards MT Evelyn , but of course on our short experiment / trip , every dog and his owner were out there as well. Hence the slower approach.:rolleyes: