Number plate mount

Doish13

Hi I am not sure if this question has been covered before.

Just checked the RMS website and could not see an answer and hope anyone can help.

What is the legal view on double side taping a numberplate on a car.

Looking  to fix my rear historic plate without new holes etc.

A7DE9EF8-27D1-44AF-86F9-801C1BDEE0B1.jpeg

I used a piece of 2-3mm thick rubber sheet near the size of the plate and glued that to the body with a glue I could remove if needed.  Then used the 3M DS tape on to the rubber with the plate. Easy to remove later without damaging the paint, as the 3M stuff is strong.

Hi all thanks that made it clear. I too looked before posting and could not see anything which stated it had to be screwed on.

Merv I was thinking the same thing this evening that the double sided tape I use is strong as and may damage the paint over the long term. What glue did you use do you recall?

I first up thought the paint would be fine with 3 m tape and even thought of the invisible hook picture frame Velcro tape as this is easily removed if needed and can do up to 7kg. Not sure how it will hold up to the elements though.

One last question. Any suggestions to cover the two holes left on either side of the plate? I was thinking a plug and touch up paint or a white sticker similar shade?

Ps made this simple bracket for the front if anyone is thinking of what to do for NSW historic plates. Bolts perfectly to the existing holes need the car and the bracket cost $3.

1E464129-BBBB-4A0B-BA6F-318D9B221F8A.jpeg