Boxster S - Manual or Auto

Apogee

I've been shopping for a Boxster S recently.

A couple of dealers including one that is an authorised Porsch dealer said to buy one with a PDK or Triptronic transmission because the resale value is better.

Is this true or are they just trying to offload their boxsters?

I thought he whole idea of buying these type of cars was to work the gears manually.i.e. enjoy the drive.

All depends. City or outback? I've owned 3 Porsche mid-engine sportscars. In my early years, before the city doubled in size without doubling its roads, I drove a 914 which didn't come with an automatic. I drove exclusively stick for a long time until one day I had to borrow my wife's car and realized how easy the drive from work to home was that day. From that time on it was automatics. Owned a '99 TIP and an '01S TIP. And for stop and go crawling through traffic lights, they were wonderful and I could shift if and when I wanted to when I'd find a streatch of twisties. If I'd be living where I do now where country roads start just across the street, stick would be fine. But the PDK gets great reviews and, were I in the market now, I'd get the transmission that gets better efficiency, shifts faster than I could and allows me to concentrate on my line through the corner.

There are purists who insist on the manual but many of them are 911 people. I think more younger people are more used to automatics and so, since they tend to buy on the used market, the dealer may not be totally daft. OTOH, the dealer is there to sell you what he has at the highest price he can get you to pay, not to tell you the truth.

Try both, see which you enjoy the most. Try it on your normal drives...I even insist that the test run be on the roads I use every day and end in my garage.

Firstly welcome to the forum triode...

Not sure about the Resale value story, I have a tip 01S and enjoy it very much. Mikefocke sums it up nicely. You have two great options with the tip. If your going to be using it as a daily driver and you are going to contend with bumper to bumper. Drive/auto option is great, once out on the open roads with the bends, manual tip performs nicely. Buttons on the wheel work nicely..you always have two hands on the wheel you can bury your left foot up in the foot well and keep youself nicely braced in the seat. Once you get the rhythm of when to do your down changes the little sucker just sings along beautifully. Roof down flat six blurting its exhaust noise out through that twin system, bouncing off the trees (the noise that is not the car hopefully) Triode, trust me...it is a nice nice feel.

But you will always have the manual brigade with their good arguments as well. Merit in both arguments, but don't discount the tip because of the comments of the pro manual. A lot of those people haven't driven a tip Boxster and are just going on long held beliefs and that is fair enough.

Never driven a PDK so can't help you there.

As Mikefocke also said try the options in the manual and the tip (and a PDK if that is in your list) Whatever you chose I guarantee the car will not disappoint and you will "enjoy your drive".

Good luck with it and let us all know how you go, even reports on your thoughts after you do your test drives would be nice seeing as your coming in as a newby with a Boxster. Your comments would be good to hear.

Just want to clarify that I have nothing against the Tiptronic or PDK Transmissions, nor, more specifically those who prefer them.

My preference has always been for a manual Transmission as I do not use my Porsches as every day drivers. I can see the benefits of a Tip/PDK as a dual purpose for those who use the car everyday.

I once had a conversation with a Weissach test driver at the 993 Launch locally. He said to me that he could get the Tiptronic around the weissach test track faster than the manual. At the time, he clarified that Porsche did not advertise this fact as many buyers preference' were for the manual transmission.

Fast forward to now and it is highly likely that the new GT cars (GT3/GT2) will indeed be PDK only.

People are voting with the options list and it is clear that PDK is the oft ticked box on modern, new Porsches.

I would have PDK in a Panamera, however my choice for a car that I were to buy to use for fun and driving pleasure would be a manual.

The new 7 Speed manual in the 991 series carrera's is actually a manualised version of the PDK

Just want to make it very clear that I do not look down upon Tip/PDK owners with some sort of superiority, as I don't!!! My preference is to use a manual gearbox, Heal and Toe, left Foot Braking, Double Clutching as I just enjoy it!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Nicely written comments, Niko and Wasser. Very balanced and all logical and I agree with both of you.

I think it comes down to circumstances of what you intend to use the car for and also where you are in life. A decision that can only be made by yourself and what you want.

Best you could do is drive both a couple of times if possible.

Merry Christmas everyone, hope Santa was kind!

C

I've been shopping for a Boxster S recently.

A couple of dealers including one that is an authorised Porsch dealer said to buy one with a PDK or Triptronic transmission because the resale value is better.

Is this true or are they just trying to offload their boxsters?

I thought he whole idea of buying these type of cars was to work the gears manually.i.e. enjoy the drive.

Sounds like the dealers were trying to talk up their own cars - Porsche are drivers' cars, and when one thinks "drivers' cars", auto boxes are not usually part of the mix.

PDK may be "the future", but Tiptronics are auto boxes with changers on the steering wheel.

I've spent a day with a Boxster S Tip. My personal preference is for a manual gearbox, but the Tip worked well enough. It didn't tickle my tickle-y bits, but I don't have anything impolite to say about it. After a day with it, I confess that I didn't dislike it, but if I was planning on including occasional track day use then I would want a manual cog swapper. If you see yourself driving in traffic a lot, and don't want to be stirring the sprockets by hand, then a Tip might make a lot of sense.

A PDK will change gear quicker than a person ever will, but it's a bit PlayStation, and I can't see myself ever choosing PDK over manual.

As ever, these comments are my opinion and nothing more. There are people - some of whom have already posted in this thread - who drive Tip cars, enjoy them and by all accounts, pedal them as rapidly as conditions allow, with enjoyment and involvement (whatever that actually means). Buy what makes you happy, not what you think some arbitrary person thinks you ought to want.

Just want to make it very clear that I do not look down upon Tip/PDK owners with some sort of superiority, as I don't!!! My preference is to use a manual gearbox, Heal and Toe, left Foot Braking, Double Clutching as I just enjoy it!!!

I too just want to clarify that I am not a 'hater', just putting forward my blunt 2 cents on what is a reoccurring discussion based on a personal preference. Wasserkuhl puts it very nicely!

I too just want to clarify that I am not a 'hater', just putting forward my blunt 2 cents on what is a reoccurring discussion based on a personal preference. Wasserkuhl puts it very nicely!

I'll put MY preference as never wanting to try a Tip in the 968 or anything else to go faster !!! (but a Turbo - mmmm !) :huh:

Thanks guys for your insights.

I currently own two VWs both with DSG trannies because the wife doesn't like driving manual. While I don't mind driving my GTI with the DSG box, I just miss driving a manual. Shifting with buttons isn't the same as you can't skip gears on braking (matching revs).

I am just a bit concerned about resale value and the ease at which a manual version can be offloaded in the future.

I am just a bit concerned about resale value and the ease at which a manual version can be offloaded in the future.

Hi again Triode, mate.... only thoughts I can give you there is, look after it as I am sure you will, don't go crazy with an asking price when the time comes, and if it's a good one with a nice history and you have kept it that way ...it will sell at a reasonable price.

As you can see by the comments here, the manual appears to be the more desirable even though the tip and the PDK are originally dearer from new.

Just get yourself into one, enjoy it, and worry about selling down the track, never know you might find yourself a nice keeper.

Good luck on the hunt.

desismileys_6604.gifname='9fan' timestamp='1356474851' post='17781']

I'll put MY preference as never wanting to try a Tip in the 968 or anything else to go faster !!! (but a Turbo - mmmm !) :huh:

Cheesus.....you in a turbo.....

desismileys_6604.gif

by the time the rest of us get to the top at Lake mountain instead of you just finishing your coffee as you do now, you will have had time for coffee and lunch.

Thanks guys. Took a manual 987 Gen 1 Boxster I have been eyeing for an extended test drive. Took along a friend who used to own a 987 Gen 2 Cayman. And he said that it was a better drive than his former Cayman was - it was more "alive" and fun to drive. He thought it might have a tune in it too.

So I put a deposit on it today - pending fixing up the little faults and dings in it and a Pre purchase inspection. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks awit. Yes, the car passed the PPI and if all goes well, I should have the car at the end of the week.

BTW awit, are you the user Amanda from the VWwatercooled.net forums?

Yes probably :D

Oh and that is just awesome, well done :) what year and color is it and what state are you in?

Congrats on a very civil exchange on this subject. So often you see "my way is the right way" exchanges and I salute you all (as someone who has been using forums for about 20 years) for your consideration of the possibility that someone else might have a different point of view that is right for them.

I prefer the manual over tip, unless you do a lot of inner city driving (London). Sweet as the shift is, having a manual in a 2 hour traffic jam just isn't nice. I think if you want an auto, there are probably better all-round packages in the market.

In my experience, with tip/manual there isn't much difference on the resale value. Resale value IS impacted by the rest of the spec - you can pick a unbelievable bargain by a basic spec 986, some of which don't even have leather seats. Not a bad idea if you want a fantastic handling car for rock bottom prices.

I recently sold my manual S and would definitely buy the same if I had to do it all over...The PDK however is great and certainly the option when I go 911.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Newby here, looking for a 987 manual at the moment and had the same dilemna, me or the machine shifting cogs. I have decided it's got to be me. I sold my last car, BMW 120D, heaps of torque, awesome handling, boring to drive. Had my first test drive in a manual last night and whilst I won't be buying that particular car, I now know what I want. Just got to find "the" car. BTW good forum and as said above, well behaved on this topic that could be quite divisive.

Archived