UV paint protection coating- what is the best and safest option?

911virgin

Ceramic coat is like engine oil, everyone has a different opinion. 

I have GTechniq on my 996 and Ceramic Pro on the Rangie (dealer option). How long depends on the type, how well its applied, maintenance etc etc. 

2 - 5 years for a proper ceramic done properly. 

Does not damage the paint, does exactly the opposite

Can't recommend for Melbourne as in NSW, however cost for mine was $1,000 including GTechniq ceramic and a full paint restoration cut and polish. Results were amazing and makes a huge difference.

For 50 years or so we were quite happy with good ol' Canuba Wax... apply a couple times a year and your car will look better than the ceramic coated car that has not been touched for a few years. 

It is something I've been mulling-over in the past few months (as I have a new car arriving shortly).  I was sold on the 'If you are going to keep this car for a long time you should definitely ceramic coat" however the truth is the coatings do not last forever - so that logic doesn't really work.  On my current weekend driver it was about 2-years before it really needed some TLC, and now I'm on the 'wax-regularly' routine.  Incidentally the car looks amazing when waxed (in my mind as good as it did when it was freshly coated... so perhaps the coating does have some residual effect?)

Of course people will turn their noses up at you at Cars and Coffee events if you admit you haven't got a ceramic coat... so 🤷‍♂️😆

2 hours ago, 911virgin said:

thanks for input people

@ mal 911, your paint does look fantastic!

what ceramic coat did you get?

On the green 911 I used GYEON which I find the quality of their car care products is very good.

I had my wife's Macan ceramic coating done with GTECINIQ and I find that the 911 has a better finish.

1 hour ago, tomo said:

Looks a treat, Nice touch with the Porsche emblem .

👌

2 hours ago, mal911 said:

On the green 911 I used GYEON which I find the quality of their car care products is very good.

Agree use their product religiously. Nice finish on the green. It’s not the one that sports ocd 911 plates I see at various C&C is it?

a

17 hours ago, mal911 said:

I had my wife's Macan ceramic coating done with GTECINIQ and I find that the 911 has a better finish.

👌

@mal 911

wow, please post a pic of your green 911?

2 hours ago, 911virgin said:

a

@mal 911

wow, please post a pic of your green 911?

IMG_9337.jpg

17 hours ago, Tips said:

Agree use their product religiously. Nice finish on the green. It’s not the one that sports ocd 911 plates I see at various C&C is it?

Yes, that is the car.

Very observant mr Tips😎

6 hours ago, 911virgin said:

peoples thoughts on Permagard uv potection?

I had a black beemer that the prior owner had permaguard applied to when new. Not a dot left of it when I bought the car and it was about 4 years old at that stage. Mind you the prior owner must have taken it to car washes as there was pretty good swirling in the paint. 

I’ve had Opticoat Pro on my 911 for about 5 years and still seems perfect to me with beading and gloss. I am careful with how I wash it, however, ie two bucket, etc

6 hours ago, mal911 said:

IMG_9337.jpg

Yes, that is the car.

Very observant mr Tips😎

Have seen it a few times always admired the paint correction. Just sold my black SC which had paint correction and front PPF with ceramic all over but still couldn’t get my 20 yo paint to look as good as yours.

On 31/03/2021 at 15:06, mal911 said:

Yes, that is the car.

Very observant mr Tips😎

Spotted the green beast again at C&C this morning @mal911 but not the man 😉

I was in my 996 cab with the gaggle of transaxles in the left paddock

3 hours ago, Tips said:

Spotted the green beast again at C&C this morning @mal911 but not the man 😉

I was in my 996 cab with the gaggle of transaxles in the left paddock

Hey Tips

hopefully catch up at the next Machines & Macchiatos on the 18th.

Good turnout of P cars today.

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Joz said:

paint correction

Simply polishing the paint. I use the term 'simply' although it is a skill. Depending on the person, condition of paint and desired outcome will determine whether it is done twice, three times or indeed whether once is adequate.

6 hours ago, P-Kay said:

Simply polishing the paint. I use the term 'simply' although it is a skill. Depending on the person, condition of paint and desired outcome will determine whether it is done twice, three times or indeed whether once is adequate.

Thanks got it, I thought it would involve painting as well.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...