Should I go look at this one?

This car has been on and off the market for quite a while owned by a gent living out Templestowe way, would be definitely worth a PPI before you made a decision based on emotion

I'd have a P now if my emotions were ruling my decisions!

Interesting, sounds like he's given the car to Ouza to sell it for him then.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This car has been on and off the market for quite a while owned by a gent living out Templestowe way, would be definitely worth a PPI before you made a decision based on emotion

I'd have a P now if my emotions were ruling my decisions!

Interesting, sounds like he's given the car to Ouza to sell it for him then.

yeh I'm already all over that one at the throttle shop - I've been put off by the idea of the Carrera 4 and the related cost of looking after it should it fail

I'm wanting to keep things as simple as I can (I know it's a Porsche) as I don't want to stretch the bounds of affordability

yeh I'm already all over that one at the throttle shop - I've been put off by the idea of the Carrera 4 and the related cost of looking after it should it fail

I'm wanting to keep things as simple as I can (I know it's a Porsche) as I don't want to stretch the bounds of affordability

Personally I would take a carrera 4 coupe man over a cab tip. In my opinion better car and any increase in running repairs etc. will be offset come sale time. Dont let the '4' push you away from what could be a better car (condition, value etc.). Just my two cents....................

i'm confused, you looked for months for a 911, posted heaps of differnet cars on here, drove some, PPI on one or two etc then went out and bought a Merc, now a month later your looking at a 911 again..

did you do all this research on a merc?

:wacko:  :wacko:

i'm confused, you looked for months for a 911, posted heaps of differnet cars on here, drove some, PPI on one or two etc then went out and bought a Merc, now a month later your looking at a 911 again..

did you do all this research on a merc?

:wacko:  :wacko:

Well actually it's 3 months later.  I did do research on the Merc, but no not at the lengths I did on a Porsche. There isn't the info available for a SLK as there is 911s/Boxsters on the Net. I also didn't realise that build quality of Mercs suffered in the mid 2000s during the time they were heavily involved with Chrysler.There is also other more personal factors in why I went for one over the other (as in my partner).

I suppose if you find me confusing/frustrating?, you could skip threads started by me?  

Well actually it's 3 months later.  I did do research on the Merc, but no not at the lengths I did on a Porsche. There isn't the info available for a SLK as there is 911s/Boxsters on the Net. I also didn't realise that build quality of Mercs suffered in the mid 2000s during the time they were heavily involved with Chrysler.There is also other more personal factors in why I went for one over the other (as in my partner).

I suppose if you find me confusing/frustrating?, you could skip threads started by me?  

no i was not having a dig, just found it strange that you did alot of research on a 911 and then seemed to jump ship out of the blue very quickly, now your wanting a 911 again..

just came across weird, i'm all for you getting a 911, just didnt understand your decision to buy a merc, when you were so merticulous about researching into a 911

no i was not having a dig, just found it strange that you did alot of research on a 911 and then seemed to jump ship out of the blue very quickly, now your wanting a 911 again..

just came across weird, i'm all for you getting a 911, just didnt understand your decision to buy a merc, when you were so merticulous about researching into a 911

I'm not sure I understand it :)  and it is weird you are correct :D

964 C4 system is complicated but very robust and reliable.

I would have no hesitation putting a 964 C4 on my list.

The white one at the throttle shop; is it an Oz delivery? It is very clean indeed, but just check its origin, or at least how old it was when imported.......Can't believe your MErc could be so bad; thats really disappointing. Can I ask what year it is?

cheers

peter

The white one at the throttle shop; is it an Oz delivery? It is very clean indeed, but just check its origin, or at least how old it was when imported.......Can't believe your MErc could be so bad; thats really disappointing. Can I ask what year it is?

cheers

peter

It is an Oz delivery I believe.

My Merc is a 2005

C4 system on the the 964 is based on the 959 System. If it goes wrong, it means big bills.

The later system on the 993 was a lot less complicated and therefore less costly to repair and maintain......

eg: Motion sensors on the C4 964 are $1800 each and they go wrong every 5 or so years. Theres 4 of them.

If you can get them down by circa $5000- $7500 then self insure for the future repairs and be aware that it will need the above at some stage.

The white one does look very nice and original though.

CTS always have premium stock.

I still reckon the Blue one is worth a closer look.....I like it when a seller doesn't know what they have...........Knowledge is power ;)

I know you love that 3.2 vas.. but I have a trade in remember, I can't make it work for me.

I've also had nothing but bad luck with Red cars historically.. every red car I ever owned, left me stranded on the side of the road..  made me late for work, got stolen or was a Kangaroo magnet.

Red cars and Amanda are bad joo jooo

C4 system on the the 964 is based on the 959 System. If it goes wrong, it means big bills.

The later system on the 993 was a lot less complicated and therefore less costly to repair and maintain......

eg: Motion sensors on the C4 964 are $1800 each and they go wrong every 5 or so years. Theres 4 of them.

If you can get them down by circa $5000- $7500 then self insure for the future repairs and be aware that it will need the above at some stage.

The white one does look very nice and original though.

CTS always have premium stock.

I still reckon the Blue one is worth a closer look.....I like it when a seller doesn't know what they have...........Knowledge is power ;)

Ouch that is pricey.  I prefer the white coupe tho I must say. It's probably my dream car.

Question Wasser - things like the motion sensors, can they be done 2 at a time or are they an all 4 corners at once type of replacement job?  

I like how you are drawn to the slightly more obscure Porsches Wasser, like Targas and the maritime blue.. that wouldn't be everyones cup of tea for sure.

Ouch that is pricey.  I prefer the white coupe tho I must say. It's probably my dream car.

Question Wasser - things like the motion sensors, can they be done 2 at a time or are they an all 4 corners at once type of replacement job?  

I like how you are drawn to the slightly more obscure Porsches Wasser, like Targas and the maritime blue.. that wouldn't be everyones cup of tea for sure.

One at a time can be done, it depends on how many have failed.

All of these cars are wonderful things, its just we need to be aware of what can go wrong as they are all what are condsdered old cars now.

If, you are aware of the potential problems that may arise then it comes as no shock to you when they fail, because they will. People sell cars to avoid costs and to a lesser extent because they have to for financial reasons to move on.

Out of all the Carrera 4 Models, 964 , 993 , 996 and 997 the 964 has the most expensive potential for maintenance costs.

I am drawn to all Porsches but I like the unique ones the most.

My favourite 964 is a Targa C2 Manual. If I could find one I'd buy it. Regardless of its condition.

Ok, Amanda.

You have been on here for a while with some great questions.

You seem to love these cars alot.

So, I will give you my honest opinion.

I feel you should rethink the whole 911 as an everyday driver.

I know plenty of people do it and plenty of guys on this forum have.

For a daily driver you need to be looking at a 993 or newer IMO.

I would not have any 911 as a DD, and I love these cars as much as anyone.

I feel your budget is just not going to get a" good car" beyond a 3.2.

A good car, something that needs nothing done to it.

Even better if its Aust del, with the history to match.

Something that you get good money for when you sell it.

Something that makes owning the car a pleasure, not a drama.

Something that when you or others see say, "thats a great example of that model".

People always ask me about cheap 930s, they say its around $50k or not bad for the price.

But, a good 930 starts at $70k, that's just what they cost.

For all the same reasons as above.

It may be cheaper, but it never works out that way.

We have had 12 911s in the family.

All good cars, bar my current 930.

Its a great car in many ways and I love it.

But its not a "good" car.

I have it for other reasons.

I can walk you around it and show you all the small things that make a good car.

Things you pick up after 35 years of looking at them.

Things I have picked up from the people in the know.

Even as a small boy I would sit in the pits at Porsche club events and ask questions.

So this advice is not just mine, but from all those people.

As they were good enough to tell me the truth.

I can never thank them enough.

Some of those people are on this forum.

Amanda, get the best car in the model that is in you budget.

That for you is a 3.2 or an SC.

Get a 'good" one of these and you will be happy.

It will not be a DD, thats true.

But, when you take it out on the weekend, you will know you did the right thing.

Get what you can for the merc.

Even if you get a cheap DD and cash.

Then you can go shopping with some power.

Then you can do a deal, get a nice car.

Don't be forced into a sale by the fact you have a trade.

That's not the way to go Porsche shopping.

This is just my opinion.

Good luck.

I want you to get the best car you can.

Always enjoy reading your posts.  :)

Hi Amanda, I envy your situation of being able to afford to go P shopping, but I do agree that cash is king. Personally, I would just pick up a cheap (hopefully reliable) daily for city duties after selling your SLK privately and then look for the porsche you want. Pluses would be that you could enjoy the P on the weekends and using the daily not have to worry about car park dings during the week.

For daily somehting completely unispiring like this http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/holden-barina-2009-13244403?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=6&eapi=2&__N=1246%201252%201247%201282%20903%201216%201518&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Price%3aMin%2c7500~1&sort=Year

Yep unispiring but pretty reliable, I use one as my daily hack as I was living in the NT and it's had a run in with a wallaby. Cheap to run / service but I don't have to worry about anyone putting a ding in a work of art.

Ok, Amanda.

You have been on here for a while with some great questions.

You seem to love these cars alot.

So, I will give you my honest opinion.

I feel you should rethink the whole 911 as an everyday driver.

I know plenty of people do it and plenty of guys on this forum have.

For a daily driver you need to be looking at a 993 or newer IMO.

I would not have any 911 as a DD, and I love these cars as much as anyone.

I feel your budget is just not going to get a" good car" beyond a 3.2.

A good car, something that needs nothing done to it.

Even better if its Aust del, with the history to match.

Something that you get good money for when you sell it.

Something that makes owning the car a pleasure, not a drama.

Something that when you or others see say, "thats a great example of that model".

People always ask me about cheap 930s, they say its around $50k or not bad for the price.

But, a good 930 starts at $70k, that's just what they cost.

For all the same reasons as above.

It may be cheaper, but it never works out that way.

We have had 12 911s in the family.

All good cars, bar my current 930.

Its a great car in many ways and I love it.

But its not a "good" car.

I have it for other reasons.

I can walk you around it and show you all the small things that make a good car.

Things you pick up after 35 years of looking at them.

Things I have picked up from the people in the know.

Even as a small boy I would sit in the pits at Porsche club events and ask questions.

So this advice is not just mine, but from all those people.

As they were good enough to tell me the truth.

I can never thank them enough.

Some of those people are on this forum.

Amanda, get the best car in the model that is in you budget.

That for you is a 3.2 or an SC.

Get a 'good" one of these and you will be happy.

It will not be a DD, thats true.

But, when you take it out on the weekend, you will know you did the right thing.

Get what you can for the merc.

Even if you get a cheap DD and cash.

Then you can go shopping with some power.

Then you can do a deal, get a nice car.

Don't be forced into a sale by the fact you have a trade.

That's not the way to go Porsche shopping.

This is just my opinion.

Good luck.

I want you to get the best car you can.

Always enjoy reading your posts.  :)

What he said. For me a Porsche as a daily makes no sense as I want it to be an occasion and something special everytime I drive it. + I hate to waste Kms on mundane journies that plenty of other boring cars are made for (Camry Hybrid for example)

Vas why would you be against anything pre 993 as a daily?

I can put it in the following context -

Pre 993 means more regular maintenance as they have mechanical tappets. So more frequent attention to tune and maintennace is required.

Also, the most recent 993 is 15 Years old. Its an old car and as such regular mundane driving, short trips, clogged traffic, massive heat low revs etc etc WILL take its toll fast.

In fact, a 993's secondary air injection ports will clog up faster with the short trip commutes than earlier cars and result in a Check Engine Light.....top end rebuild to put right........

I apologise in advance for anyone who takes offence to the following comment.

Porsches are for driving pleasure. Porsches are not for daily commuting. They need to be stretched, pushed and driven.

They can be driven daily however it will accelerate the wear on their major components.

GT3's have RMS leaks if they aren't driven regularly and hard.

Amanda, if you need a daily driver, please buy something small, reliable and cheap for commuting.

And then buy a Porsche for the weekend, where you can drive it longer than 30 minutes, and enjoy it.

Apologies again as I am fortunate enough to have the space to store these cars and I have a daily driver that is reliable and does what it is supposed to.

Horses for courses.

Over and Out.

Vas - thank you for taking the time to write me such a comprehensive and well thought out post. I really appreciate all the advice I've been given. I think I have taken on most of the advice I've been given, even the conflicting advice. Which is why I am conflicted :)

Wow reax that Barina is cheap - you also make very good sense.

I don't need a daily driver. I do around 100km a week and that's driving across town to go to training. So that's another consideration I have when choosing a ride.

I need to go away and "dream it all up again"

Rattle and Hum quote from U2s film there :)

Lots of good info from people much more knowledgeable than most of us, however I know that there are guys here that use their pre-993 cars as daily drivers.

Yes it will add kms, maintenance cost, wear and tear etc........and it may take the shine away from the weekend enjoyment of the car. Ultimately it is your call.

However, the above suggestions about a cheap daily and the Porka for the weekends are interesting. Ultimately, you know what will work for you.

Ahhhh, decisions, decisions.

Now let us say you wanted the cheap daily and the P-car for the weekend. Then I'd go the red one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived