Should I go look at this one?

I hate to waste Kms on mundane journies that plenty of other boring cars are made for (Camry Hybrid for example)

Pffft, I dont know about this Hybrid talk, all seems a bit soft - unlike my Fiat 500! Now thats for the real man.................(um like me!)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre 993 means more regular maintenance as they have mechanical tappets. So more frequent attention to tune and maintennace is required.

Also, the most recent 993 is 15 Years old. Its an old car and as such regular mundane driving, short trips, clogged traffic, massive heat low revs etc etc WILL take its toll fast.

In fact, a 993's secondary air injection ports will clog up faster with the short trip commutes than earlier cars and result in a Check Engine Light.....top end rebuild to put right........

I may have it wrong Wasser, but I understood that the SAI system is on both Vario and non-Varioram and both will become blocked potentially.

However the 94-95 cars OBD-I ECU does not look for a fault and there will be no CEL activated. 

You can drive a 95 with blocked air injectors and have absolutely no idea as performance will not be affected and there is no visual indicator.

i totally disagree with all comments about anything pre 993 being used as a daily. i have a 3.2 with over 300,000km's which i use as a daily. some of you guys can attest to my car's condition.

300,000km's one top end rebuild, no oil leaks, no breakdowns, no blowing smoke, driven every day, still runs hard, i really dont see the issue.

these cars are meant to be driven, no kept in the shed for a special occasion.. why limit your porsche experience to once a week.. i get that buzz every day!

driving my car is never mundane, even commuting to work..

i totally disagree with all comments about anything pre 993 being used as a daily. i have a 3.2 with over 300,000km's which i use as a daily. some of you guys can attest to my car's condition.

300,000km's one top end rebuild, no oil leaks, no breakdowns, no blowing smoke, driven every day, still runs hard, i really dont see the issue.

these cars are meant to be driven, no kept in the shed for a special occasion.. why limit your porsche experience to once a week.. i get that buzz every day!

Point taken JJ.

I've seen your car and it certainly doesn't look like a 300K car. 

Good for you JJ :) What works for one, won't work for everyone.  And nor should it. 

I really do respect all the opinions and appreciate all the advice given on this thread.   I need to go away and work out what I want now.  Work out what works for ME. 

At the end of the day, the only way to figure this out might be to 'jump' (I don't mean just buy a car, buy the right car.. research, PPI etc) in one and start my own 911 ownership journey, my way.. just like you have all done with your cars.

And what does that do to the engine then???

Absolutely nothing. The SAI (Secondary Air Injection) is there purely for emission control.

In the '96 onward 993s the ECU would check the state of the system and if the injectors (air) were blocked it would raise a CEL Check Engine Light).

Now in the States this is a big issue because they need to go for smog tests regularly and the CEL is a problem. There are ways to clean out the carbon deposits but they are time consuming, messy and very unorthodox.

There is also some interesting information about how to create a SAI bypass circuit. Ultimately if you putt the car around town you have a higher risk of carbon build up. If you warm it up correctly and drive it how it was meant to (like you stole it) then the chances of heavy carbon build is reduced, therefore lowering the chance of the CEL coming on. 

Easier fix............buy a '95. 

(See Amanda. All the Varioram boys will be getting all edgy now thinking about a CEL coming on and a top end rebuild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Bugger. That's nice.

I know!  Its in Tas for $25k  

Linky

I have a type:  If I went the cheapo DD option and SC or earlier, this is the type of 911 I'd want for myself!

127581141.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithi

So the answer to my Q 'should I go look at this one'  is a NO!  

I would own that Targa in a second. I would also drive a G series car as a daily without a second thought. Look at S.W's 400,000klm SC. No rebuilds just regular services and still drives as new. The only reason my car is not a daily is because I know it will be on and off the road getting regular upgrades.I have an old LPG Hilux ute for getting to work each day and picking up renno stuff on weekends but I still drive the 911 to work at least once a week. G series car are cheap to get parts for and very easy to work on at home. They did't get the bullet proof rep for nothing..

Now we are entering dangerous territory!

This could be a very realistic outcome. The early 911 could even be serviced by your brother (mechanic if I recall) and the Barina would have to go to the shop to have the computer dumped!!!!!!!!

Personally I'd go the Swift rather than Barina!!!!!!!

I think one of these parked on the street  and one of these in the garage would be the best end result!

Looks very similar to my first P car, same

targa and similar colour mine was in meteor grey with

3.2 engine and loved it, a real drivers car.

Once you get one you will never look back,

its addictive and gets into your blood.

I am sure l speak for most if not all members

on this forum.

Jim

Sounds great Jim :) As I've said a bunch of times, I love the early Targas. I love the concept and the look of them.  Clean lines, no whale tail.. just retro coolness!  If I find one with a groovy houndstooth or tartan cloth seats, I'd be even more stoked.

This the first plan I've had to own one of these cars that I feel 100% comfortable with. I have no uneasy feelings.. it might take some selling at home tho.  

In the long run I'm sure you will get more out of it from a personal point of view if you can turn the odd spanner and also just enjoy the rawness that is an older Porsche. My old thing feels (and looks) like a well worn shoe now to me now. Take heed though. Go in not expecting much in the way of creature comforts. Early cars are so easy to work on because they are simple. Even more so in my case. The only "mod con" I have is power windows.. I am sure you already know this but it pays to say it again to avoid any rose coloured glasses being worn.

Vas why would you be against anything pre 993 as a daily?

JJ, I just dont think any 911 is a practicle car for every day use.

Long doors, low front end, poor air con(older cars) worry about parking/stealing. The list goes on.

You are right that a second car cost something.

But the 911 is losing value with the day to day wear and extra kms as a DD.

I would not have any 911 as a DD.

Makes that weekend run something special.

Those that do, good for them.

Just an opinion, JJ.

Archived