Which GT's to import

FZP

Hi folks

I'm sure everyone has had a crack at the old personal import scheme and what not. I've been UK Based for the last 8 years and starting to think about the move home. We have the opportunity to bring back 2 cars and so thinking that we should make the most of this chance. Rona has pushed this back a couple of years.

I'm not sure what GT3's are like on the ground in Aus, but the earlier models are getting thin on the ground here, so it got me thinking as to what to bring back. For the avoidance of doubt, one will have keeper and one will be sold on.

I'm aware of the "less valuable" tag that imports attract, so my search for cars here are mint, summer cars. I'm going in eyes wide open on this. 

So that's the preamble, love to hear thoughts from the Illuminati as to what you'd think as to which cars I should look to bring back on the above conditions.

TIA

FZP

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

996.1 GT3, 996.2 GT3RS, 997.1 GT3RS, 997.2 GT3RS

This ^^ 

1 hour ago, spiller said:

The LCT and associated taxes kills it a bit but if you are basing it sheerly on manufacturing numbers it’s got to be the one to go for.

Another member here grappled with this ahead of his return home, ended up selling the RS in the UK, the taxes calculated were just horrendous! 

5 hours ago, FZP said:

I'm aware of the "less valuable" tag that imports attract, so my search for cars here are mint, summer cars. I'm going in eyes wide open on this. 

I am the custodian of a 996 RS, which started its life in the UK... thanks to it’s previous owners it’s not suffered the perils of a winter driven UK car, it’s as good as any local delivery car or better (have one fellow owner tell me it shuts on his Aussie one)... as for $$ I can tell you there wasn’t much in it between an Aussie car and this one, condition is everything, add in the low build numbers and the age of the car, then we are talking world market, so the import status matters far less on significant cars because they’re thin on the ground from the outset... I’d support what @Skidmarks suggestion is I haven’t seen any of those cars trade publicly in at least 6 months, in the case of 997 RS probably more than 1 year since we saw one that was ‘actually for sale’ 

I bought my daily driver 911 from Singapore to Melbourne as a personal import. Lots of paperwork at both ends & small items that add up but overall would be happy to do it again......I knew I would get hit with the import deduction upon sale in Oz but had the pleasure of owning it for a bit longer & got all my money back. I wouldn't bother if you're trying to make money but if you find a car you love at a suitable UK discount I don't see too many downsides.....good luck with it !!

Cheers,

Matt

8 hours ago, edgy said:

Another member here grappled with this ahead of his return home, ended up selling the RS in the UK, the taxes calculated were just horrendous! 

I just threw the numbers into an online calculator for the sake of curiosity - based on a UK purchase price of $195K...approx 80 grand worth of taxes! I’d still do it for the right car if I could. 

Would it be too much trouble to ask where ball park figures for the following are realistically. Dealer pricing seems to be all over the shop. 

996 GT3

997.1 GT3 and RS

997.2 GT3 and RS

991.1 GT3RS only

991.2 GT3

I'm discounting the 991.1 GT3 due to the chocolate engine of the non G series engines.

1 minute ago, spiller said:

I just threw the numbers into an online calculator for the sake of curiosity - based on a UK purchase price of $195K...approx 80 grand worth of taxes! I’d still do it for the right car if I could. 

Can you post up a link to said online calculator please?

3 hours ago, FZP said:

Would it be too much trouble to ask where ball park figures for the following are realistically. Dealer pricing seems to be all over the shop. 

996 GT3

997.1 GT3 and RS

997.2 GT3 and RS

991.1 GT3RS only

991.2 GT3

I'm discounting the 991.1 GT3 due to the chocolate engine of the non G series engines.

Can you post up a link to said online calculator please?

6.1 GT3 170-215

6.2 GT3 170-230

7.1 GT3 210-250

7.1 GT3RS tricky as hardly any on the open market in years...370-400?

7.2 GT3 240-280

7.2 GT3RS tricky as hardly any on the open market in years...400-450?

991.1 GT3RS 350-380

991.2 GT3 290-350

^^^ those are estimates for Aus deliveries. Imports fetch considerably less due to the snobby nature of Australian buyers of GT Porsches.

https://tauruslogistics.com.au/car-shipping/australia/australian-gst-duty-lct-calculator

^^^ this is the calculator I used.

On 29/04/2021 at 21:30, spiller said:

6.1 GT3 170-215

6.2 GT3 170-230

7.1 GT3 210-250

7.1 GT3RS tricky as hardly any on the open market in years...370-400?

7.2 GT3 240-280

7.2 GT3RS tricky as hardly any on the open market in years...400-450?

991.1 GT3RS 350-380

991.2 GT3 290-350

^^^ those are estimates for Aus deliveries. Imports fetch considerably less due to the snobby nature of Australian buyers of GT Porsches.

https://tauruslogistics.com.au/car-shipping/australia/australian-gst-duty-lct-calculator

^^^ this is the calculator I used.

I agree re the values above 

On 29/04/2021 at 17:55, FZP said:

996 GT3

997.1 GT3 and RS

997.2 GT3 and RS

991.1 GT3RS only

991.2 GT3

Did you leave out 996.2 GT3 RS by accident, or intentionally?