WTB - 996.2 C4S

GregM

Hi

I had an older thread and came close on a couple but nothing 'droped' so thought I'd create a new thread rather than bump the old.

Keen for a 996.2 C4S manual, coupe or cab.  Australian delivered or sensibly priced import.  Numbers must match.  Good to great condition and <130KMs.  Cash in the bank.  CFO approval in place.  Absoultely ready to purchase.

Please drop me a line if you're keen to chat.

Greg

Thanks @mc968cs. Yeah, have seen that one and whilst it looks great, the price on mine will need to start with an 8 or a 9 - there are 996 Turbos on the market for not much more than what they're asking for that one.  I just missed out on an argulably better example of a 996.2/C4S/Manual/Coupe last week for well under $100K so I don't think I'm being unrealistic but I guess I'll find out whether that's the case in the coming weeks/months.

31 minutes ago, GregM said:

Thanks @mc968cs. Yeah, have seen that one and whilst it looks great, the price on mine will need to start with an 8 or a 9 - there are 996 Turbos on the market for not much more than what they're asking for that one.  I just missed out on an argulably better example of a 996.2/C4S/Manual/Coupe last week for well under $100K so I don't think I'm being unrealistic but I guess I'll find out whether that's the case in the coming weeks/months.

I think you missed out on an aberration.  I don't like your odds of finding another in the same condition/spec as above for under the $105 mark in the current market.  If you're sticking to that budget consider a tiptronic or the ex-UK Lapis Blue manual cab on Gumtree.

43 minutes ago, GregM said:

I just missed out on an argulably better example of a 996.2/C4S/Manual/Coupe last week for well under $100K

Can you share the details & price?

Would love to know kms, colour, options etc, and why arguably better? 

1 hour ago, luzzo said:

Can you share the details & price?

Would love to know kms, colour, options etc, and why arguably better? 

I'm not sure there's much point - it's gone now and these things are largely subjective anyway.  Anyway, perhaps I'm chasing something that doesn't exist but if you don't ask......

Cheers

Greg

9 hours ago, GregM said:

I'm not sure there's much point - it's gone now and these things are largely subjective anyway.  Anyway, perhaps I'm chasing something that doesn't exist but if you don't ask......

Cheers

Greg

The right car will show up, hopefully the bubble bursts too!

7 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

I wonder if it will soon?

Has anyone seen any evidence of lower prices in the marketplace for Porsche or equivalent cars.....

I haven’t seen / heard of any cooling in the marketplace. In fact, I know of some off market sales recently for very strong prices.

The car that @Fishcop and @GregM are talking about was certainly an odd fish in this market. It was priced way too low and would certainly have been able to be bought and flipped for a tidy profit. I’m putting it down to either an owner that didn’t follow the market and thought that by making a profit on their purchase, they were doing OK, or a super quick sale was needed for reasons we’ll never know about.

Most owners do follow the market, and as @Fishcop said above .. it would generally be hard to find one under $105k.

Good luck in your search .. a C4S is certainly a cracking car and worth the wait! As you’ve seen from the above car, they do hit the market, just not on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

I haven’t seen / heard of any cooling in the marketplace. In fact, I know of some off market sales recently for very strong prices.

The car that @Fishcop and @GregM are talking about was certainly an odd fish in this market. It was priced way too low and would certainly have been able to be bought and flipped for a tidy profit. I’m putting it down to either an owner that didn’t follow the market and thought that by making a profit on their purchase, they were doing OK, or a super quick sale was needed for reasons we’ll never know about.

Most owners do follow the market, and as @Fishcop said above .. it would generally be hard to find one under $105k.

Good luck in your search .. a C4S is certainly a cracking car and worth the wait! As you’ve seen from the above car, they do hit the market, just not on a regular basis.

For a while there were no 911s available under $50k, and cars seem to be sitting unsold. So maybe a little bit of price correction is happening?

35 minutes ago, JLD said:

For a while there were no 911s available under $50k, and cars seem to be sitting unsold. So maybe a little bit of price correction is happening?

There's no doubt cars will sit if you take the p!ss and advertise too high.  But cars are still definitely moving.  I do wonder what will be the outcome of the current covid lockdown activity etc... through to xmas.

45 minutes ago, JLD said:

There are some cars sitting due to external influences ... eg - import and WOVR.

Without enquiring, it just looks like they're sitting for long periods of time.

Also, cars that are that “little bit different” or in smaller production, will generally hold higher. The C4S and Turbo are in that bracket.

It will certainly be interesting to see how things pan out though! ...

6 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Has anyone seen any evidence of lower prices in the marketplace for Porsche or equivalent cars.....

I'm seeing the opposite, not just here but overseas as well. Prices are still on the increase and the number of "special cars" available in the "affordable" range has dropped considerably. A good example of this is McLaren, there are currently only 20 used examples for sale and not a single MP4-12C. I think the trend will continue.

• 1 month later...

Just to close this out, I ended up finding a 997.1 C4S manual which is currently on a truck from Melbourne to Sydney!  It's a cab (which I'm absolutely fine with) and I'm super-excited about it.  Intersingly, my research/experience shows that the gap between a well-sorted 996 C4S and a good/great 997 C4S is nowhere near as much as I expected it would be.  In fact, the car I ended up buying was significantly cheaper than the couple of (admittedly beautiful) 996 C4S coupes that have been on the market lately.

I get it though....as much as I love the wide 'hips' on both the 996 and 997 C4Ss, I'm always going to look at my 997.1 and curse the idiot who decided to drop the reflector.  Hopefully, the extra horses will help dry my tears :-).

Greg

13 hours ago, GregM said:

I get it though....as much as I love the wide 'hips' on both the 996 and 997 C4Ss, I'm always going to look at my 997.1 and curse the idiot who decided to drop the reflector.  Hopefully, the extra horses will help dry my tears :-).

When you're sitting in the pilots seat you'll notice the extra hp, you won't notice the lack of rear reflector. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mondo74 said:

Do both 996 and 997 c4s have the ims issue? I've read conflicting info.

The 997.1 does have the IMS issue, although it is FAR LESS common for it to explode.

In the 997 though, if you want to change it for peace of mind, you can only get to it by dismantling the engine. In the 996 it is accessible behind the gearbox so can be done with new clutch if wanted.

Edited by Dreamr
To specify which model 997