GT4

Samp

Have driven one briefly (on a track) - have not owned one.  I feel it could cope with daily pretty easily but obviously a firm ride compared with a 'normal' cayman or 911.  It doesn't feel crazy or untidy wrt throttle or steering and imo is a very well mannered car.

8 hours ago, Samp said:

I am thinking of buying a GT4 as a daily.  Not having driven it, I am concerned that it may be too rough, too crazy.   If anyone out there has one or has driven one I would appreciate your opinion. 

I had a 981 GT4 for a short period.  For me it was a bit too civilised.  Not rough or crazy enough 😂.  Can’t see any issue with  daily drive other than PITA driving a manual if you spend a lot of time in traffic.

I think that the biggest consideration of using it as. DD would be the front ground clearance. 
The front lip would be quite easy to damage and could be a pain navigating some flyovers on a daily basis.

Its mow available with a PDK so no need to worry about a manual in traffic and plus it’s a fair bit quicker in PDK pushing the car into the 3 second bracket 0-100. 

On 14/10/2021 at 05:51, DJM said:

I had a 981 GT4 for a short period.  For me it was a bit too civilised.  Not rough or crazy enough 😂.  Can’t see any issue with  daily drive other than PITA driving a manual if you spend a lot of time in traffic.

Deman Motorsport could have removed that civility for you 😆fair bit more power than a GT3RS in a mid engine chassis. 

https://demanmotorsport.com/4-5l-cayman/

GT4 is a car I'd love to get some seat time in, and I nearly ordered GTS 4.0 Cayman (slightly watered down gt4) at the start of 2020, but I didn't for obvious reasons lol... I was going to buy it as a daily, and that was based on a good mates feedback who had a GT4 as a DD... he reckons the hatch makes it mighty practical... not sure on the ride being palatable because that is totally subjective and will depend where your threshold is! 

8 hours ago, Grimmy said:

think that the biggest consideration of using it as. DD would be the front ground clearance. 
The front lip would be quite easy to damage and could be a pain navigating some flyovers on a daily basis

The clearance would be an important consideration - obviously depends on your individual circumstances & approach angle etc. but I have managed to completely displace the rubber lip spoiler on my 981 Cayman on my suburban driveway crossover (it is not particularly steep) - the spoiler is a sacrificial item on the base & S models so not a big deal but you have to be careful to get the approach angles correct. From memory, the splitter on a GT4 protrudes further than other 981 models & is not sacrificial so I would be testing it on your driveway if access is in any way compromised.

I have a 981 GT4 and have owned it from new for nearly 6 years. They are a great car and very easy to live with. Not harsh and the best thing I did was fit a DSC suspension controller which made the ride that much better and cornering sublime.

the front lip is a replaceable item. It does scrape as it’s quite low but you adapt and pick angles on driveways and speed humps.i haven’t had to replace mine so far. I just use a bit of sand paper occasionally to rub off the furry bits from the odd scrape but apart from that it’s fine.

Terrific car and I love the occasions I get to drive it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

chris