When looking at 911s on Carsales, how do you pick an import?

withers

One of the things that baffles me a bit about looking at these cars is deciphering a Aus Delivered car vs an Import.  I don't want to debate the merits of buying an Import, as I feel we've already done that in other threads.  What I'd like to do, is get ideas on what things you look for in the car photos prior to phoning a seller.

There's some tell tale signs, like the LHD cars :P   but what about the RHD cars?

Speedo in miles and not km?  

Massive ugly impact bumper insert doovahickies on earlier cars? But thats a US thing, see above about LHD.. unless its been converted to RHD!

Not a stupid question.  Better to ask than make a stupid unimformed guess.

Checking the VIN is the best way.

Here's a site that has a good explanation and list of VIN's (it's one of many out there)

http://www.porscheresource.com/Docs/911_vin_numbers.html

hours of fun... ;)

I just found that site too.  So I looked up this CHN9118311165 VIN, going by this site this comes up as a '78 SC which isn't what the seller has said it is.. seller says its a '76.  Am I looking at it wrong?

At a glance just look at the wipers and what side they are on. Not always correct but its a basic lead.

aha!  Cool thanks Uncle

some 70's and 80's cars also have reverse/brake lights mounted beneath the rear bumper.

That doesn't sound very attractive!  Thanks for that.. more things to take note of.

EDIT: I suppose I was trying to find out this info without bothering anyone at Porsche. Figure I could ask about 20 cars over the buying phase. I didn't want to hassle anyone.

When looking at the 3.2 Carrera the mph/kmh speedo, no child restraint anchor points in the rear, turbo front seats and no a/c compressor all hint at a UK import. The US imports are obvious because the US did their best to make these cars ugly, massive rubbers on the rear bumpers, big front indicators and foreskins around the headlights. Not sure how many of these things translate to the 70s cars you're looking at.

I think Simon mentioned the seats above, but the late 70's, early 80's have the big bolsters on the front seats and a lot of the UK ones also seem to have different color piping aound the seats, i.e black leather with white piping.......U.S ones are just ugly...

I think Simon mentioned the seats above, but the late 70's, early 80's have the big bolsters on the front seats and a lot of the UK ones also seem to have different color piping aound the seats, i.e black leather with white piping.......U.S ones are just ugly...

Yeh I think piping in different colors on seats is ugly too!  I've seen the massive rubber impact things they attach to the US cars.. blech!

Aussie rules :)

Headlight covers, oversize rear bumpers, orange side markers etc...this was a crude but effective way to get past the US design rules of the time.  These can all be easily swapped for ROW items so don't be fooled by a car that's got the more attractive bits put on.

Always scratch a bit deeper if you're not certain.

Only Japanese SC's have non fabric trim between the rear seats...anorak point

UK & European imports are often rusty - ask to see photos of the underside including engine and exhaust. My 78 is ex Japan and I drive it in the wet often , not a hint of rust.

Anything from Hong Kong is also prone to XS salinity as well. They call them bottom of the harbour cars and plenty sit on the salty docks awaiting export...beware.

If youre talking to sellers or looking at cars ask for a photo of the compliance plate. If its a stamped alum one, it's an aussie delivered. Imports will have a different looking sticker on them. Not sure what they used to look like but these days they are bright yellow and have a barcode and id number.

When looking at the 3.2 Carrera the mph/kmh speedo, no child restraint anchor points in the rear, turbo front seats and no a/c compressor all hint at a UK import. The US imports are obvious because the US did their best to make these cars ugly, massive rubbers on the rear bumpers, big front indicators and foreskins around the headlights. Not sure how many of these things translate to the 70s cars you're looking at.

My 3.2 85 UK import has AC and turbo front seats (both as standard). For compliance it was fitted with child restraint anchors.

I was never given a stamped bar code, it came up once, cant remember why I dont need it.

Just sayin!

For reference, this car is a converted LhD from the USA

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-911-1977-14309546

Note a couple of things:

1. Large bumpers on rear

2. No side indicator repeaters, even though the front indicators appear to have been changed to ROW types (though this might because it's a 77)

3. Ad makes no mention of aust del

4. No pic of speedo, but I bet it says mph

Not saying its a bad car, but it's definitely an import

Archived