"Second most reliable modern car"!

Kerry

"She Who Shall Be..." is thinking about her next car.

For the variety of duties* it must perform, I've suggested a Ranga, (and given up on the idea of her getting the utlilitarian beast I want - a Defender!).

SWSB took great delight in telling me of a survey article she read over the weekend which placed Range Rover at the bottom of the 50 marques in the survey, and her new golden child marque at the top of the reliability stakes - LEXUS! :(

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/the-most-dependable-cars-20130214-2ee48.html

HOWEVER............. At number two in the survey was, surprised me maybe, PORSCHE!

Which led me to think........ Maybe a Cayenne would be a better recommendation than a Ranga, not much more money than the Lex, and surely a better goer!?

So comrades, thoughts on whether the Cayenne fits into the reliability and therefore SWSB's ideal of value for money?

I should point out she will look to buy a 1-3 year old car.

Kerry

* Duties include transporting her (and 3x big boys and a hound) in swish comfort, teaching 2 young males to drive in it (turbos are OUT), and carrying my photographic and sculptural gear every now and then.

Seeing as your not overloaded with informed replies...

Rather than have a beige Toycar experience , pull the plug and get the car you know you want. I would.

If you do the coolant and oil changes yourself you'll have a little war chest for any bad stuff.

Keep us updated with a monthly blog of costs , like they do in other car mags.

After 3 years the experience will either be a rose scented one or...not!

It will add to the anecdotal evidence that these cars are brilliant or a POS...never heard anyone say they were beige though.

From what I've seen as a purveyor of parts...

The early Cayennes had plastic coolant pipes which live in the valley of the V8.  These pipes didn't last and have been replaced on many (most?) of the earliest Cayennes.

The cardan shaft is a weak link.  It has a rubber flex disc that needs replacing and a central support bearing that quits.  There are options to replace the bearing, but if you by a new cardan shaft from somebody other than an official Porsche centre it shouldn't be financially ruinous.

Coolant tanks need replacing from time to time.

They're big heavy suckers, that are made to go and, for this point, more importantly, stop like a hot hatch.  Something's got to give and it's brakes.  If driven enthusiastically, they can be heavy on brakes.

Older ones can be expected to start needing things like wheel bearings and tie rods/ends, but so far these parts have held up well.

James

"She Who Shall Be..." is thinking about her next car.

For the variety of duties* it must perform, I've suggested a Ranga, (and given up on the idea of her getting the utlilitarian beast I want - a Defender!).

SWSB took great delight in telling me of a survey article she read over the weekend which placed Range Rover at the bottom of the 50 marques in the survey, and her new golden child marque at the top of the reliability stakes - LEXUS! :(

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/the-most-dependable-cars-20130214-2ee48.html

HOWEVER............. At number two in the survey was, surprised me maybe, PORSCHE!

Which led me to think........ Maybe a Cayenne would be a better recommendation than a Ranga, not much more money than the Lex, and surely a better goer!?

So comrades, thoughts on whether the Cayenne fits into the reliability and therefore SWSB's ideal of value for money?

I should point out she will look to buy a 1-3 year old car.

Kerry

* Duties include transporting her (and 3x big boys and a hound) in swish comfort, teaching 2 young males to drive in it (turbos are OUT), and carrying my photographic and sculptural gear every now and then.

Hi Kerry

I'm probably not the right person to give the right advice on largish 4WD's as l'm not

a big fan of them but it just so happpens that l am currently driving a 2009 Cayenne diesel loaner.

And l must say its not too shabby, everyhing seems to work well and it pull like a freight train.

Seems to have endless amount of torque and runs on smell of an oily rag, handles not bad for a 2.3tonne lard box.

I'll have it for the next week or two if you would like a test drive.

Regards

Jim

Seeing as your not overloaded with informed replies...

Rather than have a beige Toycar experience , pull the plug and get the car you know you want. I would.

If you do the coolant and oil changes yourself you'll have a little war chest for any bad stuff.

Keep us updated with a monthly blog of costs , like they do in other car mags.

After 3 years the experience will either be a rose scented one or...not!

It will add to the anecdotal evidence that these cars are brilliant or a POS...never heard anyone say they were beige though.

Yeah thanks Tasman, just what I want to do with the wife's car! :)

From what I've seen as a purveyor of parts...

The early Cayennes had plastic coolant pipes which live in the valley of the V8.  These pipes didn't last and have been replaced on many (most?) of the earliest Cayennes.

The cardan shaft is a weak link.  It has a rubber flex disc that needs replacing and a central support bearing that quits.  There are options to replace the bearing, but if you by a new cardan shaft from somebody other than an official Porsche centre it shouldn't be financially ruinous.

Coolant tanks need replacing from time to time.

They're big heavy suckers, that are made to go and, for this point, more importantly, stop like a hot hatch.  Something's got to give and it's brakes.  If driven enthusiastically, they can be heavy on brakes.

Older ones can be expected to start needing things like wheel bearings and tie rods/ends, but so far these parts have held up well.

James

Cheers James, learnt a lot from your previous post on the aforementioned thread... When all is said and done though, she will get what she wants cos lord knows: "you've got your two out there sitting in the garage!"... It would be nice to have another Pcar to add to the fleet though... Defs getting the vibe about the diesel, at least that'll satisfy her green concerns! LOL!

Kerry

For the money I think the cayenne wins hands down....the Lexus, and I have spent some time in one is simply without soul, whereas I think the cayenne is a pretty well presented, and capable vehicle.........someone earlier mentioned the range rover evoque, which I think ( stand to be corrected ) is really a land rover discovery drive train, as is the RR sport.

Having had three previous RR's when they were real 4wds, and then living with a discovery, I am not sure I would experience that again....

There also seem to be some reasonably priced cayennes around......if I knew they could tow a 3 horse float, I would be looking myself, but not sure about their towing ability.

Cheers

Peter

For the money I think the cayenne wins hands down....the Lexus, and I have spent some time in one is simply without soul, whereas I think the cayenne is a pretty well presented, and capable vehicle.........someone earlier mentioned the range rover evoque, which I think ( stand to be corrected ) is really a land rover discovery drive train, as is the RR sport.

Having had three previous RR's when they were real 4wds, and then living with a discovery, I am not sure I would experience that again....

There also seem to be some reasonably priced cayennes around......if I knew they could tow a 3 horse float, I would be looking myself, but not sure about their towing ability.

Cheers

Peter

3.5 tonne towing capacity for the Cayenne.

Happy days..........thanks Jim, I just shared that with the good woman, who responded ....." Excellent, given the time you take to research and buy a car, we should have one in 2 years...."....... A tad sarcastic, me thinks.!!!

Kerry,

While I am not a fan of SUV's, but did have few 4wds when living in the country for 8 years, like Jim i had a loaner Cayenne diesel for a week in late 2012. It really was a pleasure to drive for such a large vehicle, lots of torque, handled ok around town, didn't feel as big to drive from the inside & über luxurious, couldn't talk SWMBO into one though. I also drove one around Brisbane raceway at considerable speed on a Porsche L3 advanced driver training course, they shouldn't handle & corner that well but they do!! I did a couple of laps in one at Eastern Creek track with Thomas Mazera at the wheel, guys got bigger kahoonas than me I must say, the Cayenne stuck like glue. Definately take Jim up on the offer of a drive. Good luck.

I am sure there are people with Lexuses Lexi Lexa cars made by Toyota's luxury division who have horror stories.

Link said:

"So far my new (for me) 2010 Cayenne GTS Design Edition 3 (100 for the USA) with 48.5K miles has had the following replaced: front/rear brakes, all fluids, cardan drive shaft, passenger seat and airbag sensors, horns, numerous bulbs, tires and now, drum roll please ----- my entire trunk is flooded! "

This is a 3 ton vehicle, and after 80,000 km replacing brakes and fluids is to be expected.  The cardan shaft is known to let go.  Horns do give up, but are inexpensive to replace.  Light bulbs burn out and yes, tyres - even when spelt correctly - do need replacing.  In the litany of woes that are served up there, the passenger seat and airbag sensors are really the only surprises...until we reach the bit where the poster discovers that he is carrying a small town's reserve drinking water with him.

This sad story does not mean that all Cayennes are lemons, all Porsches are lemons or that all German cars are lemons.  It just means that the poster's car is bright yellow with a zesty tang.

Archived