Porsche m97 3.8 rebuild

911CJT

24 minutes ago, tomo said:

I think there is some confusion in the understanding, As unless a new motor has been designed or the have gone back to a  964 case deleting the IMS is a nono.

I wonder if he meant the IMS solution ... 

On 05/09/2023 at 14:02, 911CJT said:

Happy to answer any questions. 

Can you elaborate on the liner replacement process? Where do they source them? Or who are they getting to Nikasil them?

And is this a service they would offer by itself as opposed to having the entire motor rebuilt?

16 minutes ago, tomo said:

Thinking the same .

Apologies I missed a critical word IMS bearing issue delete - yes LN engineering IMS solution (which adds around $4.5k)

Unfortunately they are iron liners, that are lipped to avoid slipping. They were machined and installed locally. Due to the poor exchange rate it wasn't feasible to send to hartech or Flat 6 etc. 

43 minutes ago, 911CJT said:

Apologies I missed a critical word IMS bearing issue delete - yes LN engineering IMS solution (which adds around $4.5k)

Unfortunately they are iron liners, that are lipped to avoid slipping. They were machined and installed locally. Due to the poor exchange rate it wasn't feasible to send to hartech or Flat 6 etc. 

Good luck with your new engine 👍 

7 hours ago, tomo said:

I think there is some confusion in the understanding, As unless a new motor has been designed or the have gone back to a  964 case deleting the IMS can not happen .

Actually the aircooled engines all have intermediate shafts as well. They are just internal and oiled, rather than having the sealed bearings of the 996. 

8 minutes ago, MFX said:

Actually the aircooled engines all have intermediate shafts as well. They are just internal and oiled, rather than having the sealed bearings of the 996. 

Yeah l was aware of ims but the 964 is a different  set-up.

21 hours ago, 911CJT said:

New to forum and the conversation, I have a M96 engine in my 997.1

How much is the cost diff between do it in Sydney and sending to oversea? 

4 hours ago, CLLi said:

New to forum and the conversation, I have a M96 engine in my 997.1

How much is the cost diff between do it in Sydney and sending to oversea? 

Pretty sure there is another gent on this forum who just sent his engine off. Im sure if you do a search you'll find it. (unless its been deleted)...There arent too many people that have done it. Cannot remember if it was LN or Hartech but pretty certain he is very happy wtih the outcome.

edit; here it is 

Edited by Mike D'Silva

27 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Pretty sure there is another gent on this forum who just sent his engine off. Im sure if you do a search you'll find it. (unless its been deleted)...There arent too many people that have done it. Cannot remember if it was LN or Hartech but pretty certain he is very happy wtih the outcome.

edit; here it is 

4 hours ago, tomo said:

Give these guys an email ,I am sure they could put you in the picture.

https://www.hartech.org/

Thanks guy, yes I have talked to a friend who did the rebuild a few years back and the price was much lower back then (lucky him). My car is still running okay, but thinking this is a 16 year old car, I have to prepare for it at some point. 

18 hours ago, CLLi said:

Thanks guy, yes I have talked to a friend who did the rebuild a few years back and the price was much lower back then (lucky him). My car is still running okay, but thinking this is a 16 year old car, I have to prepare for it at some point. 

The price increase is based on a few factors, biggest issue is our dollar is in the toilet and parts are becoming more 'sought after' as the cars age. 

Annoyingly the quote I was originally given was 30-35 grand 18 months ago. Then by the time I dropped it off in January the price had gone up as much as the dollar had come down unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, 911CJT said:

The price increase is based on a few factors, biggest issue is our dollar is in the toilet and parts are becoming more 'sought after' as the cars age. 

Annoyingly the quote I was originally given was 30-35 grand 18 months ago. Then by the time I dropped it off in January the price had gone up as much as the dollar had come down unfortunately. 

Yea I know, I did a water pump, engine mount and coolant tank replacement recently, the bill already scared me. As I want to keep the car for as long as i can (I own the car for over 6 years already), i started doing some research on what next will fail. And the engine rebuild seems the biggest one (and i regret didnt change the AOS in my last repair now!)

I've got the VF Engineering supercharger kit waiting to go on mine. Deciding if I do it now or wait till after I rebuild the original engine. 

There is also an option for a more modern 911 engine but the work to get it fully intergrated is fairly daunting