Porsche m97 3.8 rebuild

911CJT

Honestly trying to predict what may be collectable in 20 years is mute in my opinion. Build the car for your driving experience now! Once a full rebuild is required, 4.0 option would be my only choice.

Who knows if ICE cars are even a driveable in 20 years let alone if people will be interested in cars like we are today. Already younger people aren't necessarily getting their car licences and many only driving automatics...

1 hour ago, 911CJT said:

I think nearly all of them now are well into the 100k for anything reasonably good condition or decent. Not sure how they will fair in the economic downturn though. The cheapest C4S on the market now are north of 150k which does make me wonder what they are actually selling for.  

you are correct, even auto cabs are near 6 figures. meant 7 figures. 🙂

3 hours ago, Dalai said:

Honestly trying to predict what may be collectable in 20 years is mute in my opinion. Build the car for your driving experience now! Once a full rebuild is required, 4.0 option would be my only choice.

Who knows if ICE cars are even a driveable in 20 years let alone if people will be interested in cars like we are today. Already younger people aren't necessarily getting their car licences and many only driving automatics...

The EEA has ear marked the end of so called ICE powered cars for 2035, So it won't  worry an old fossil like me 😉

19 hours ago, tomo said:

The EEA has ear marked the end of so called ICE powered cars for 2035, So it won't  worry an old fossil like me 😉

Not so muc ICE, however petroleum based fuel use in ICE engines. Synthetic fuel is sonmethign Porsche is definitely looking into and is likely to be the way for classic type cars.

9 hours ago, 911CSR said:

Not so muc ICE, however petroleum based fuel use in ICE engines. Synthetic fuel is sonmethign Porsche is definitely looking into and is likely to be the way for classic type cars.

Big job, With these guidelines,

https://www.euractiv.com/section/electric-cars/news/eu-signals-end-of-internal-combustion-engine-by-2035/

The EU can pass laws all it likes - if the tech is not there to support it, the laws mean zero.  California passed a set of zero emission laws in the 90s and nothing happened.  Pen pushers like to think they are changing the world but in reality they are writing laws around what actually becomes possible with the tech.  And then retconning themselves as ‘saving the x’.   Any laws are unlikely to be retrospective - see also yellow vests.  

Change is coming, but remember these are NEW ICE cars banned by 2035. How old is the average car owned in our lowest socioeconomic areas? Probably 20 years at least. That means there will still need to be petrol of some sort available until after 2050. I have no issue with commuting in an electric car, but I think there will still be a place for those of us who want to drive a classic on the weekend, which could easily be made to run on sustainable, eco-friendly fuels. I don't see these rules impacting us too greatly in our lifetime. 

3 hours ago, MFX said:

Change is coming, but remember these are NEW ICE cars banned by 2035. How old is the average car owned in our lowest socioeconomic areas? Probably 20 years at least. That means there will still need to be petrol of some sort available until after 2050. I have no issue with commuting in an electric car, but I think there will still be a place for those of us who want to drive a classic on the weekend, which could easily be made to run on sustainable, eco-friendly fuels. I don't see these rules impacting us too greatly in our lifetime. 

i hope so. Geez i like driving my car.

On 19/05/2022 at 19:08, tomo said:

2035 is end of sales of new ICE vehicles, not prohibition of their use. ICE vehicles will be still on our roads in plentiful numbers for 50+ years yet.

8 minutes ago, tomo said:

All banter is pointless, can someone let us know what the state of play is for the 3.8 build.?

October is the earliest they can start it. Looking at options atm. If pistons are cactus it’ll get a 4.0L build and I’ll import the parts from LN most likely. Looking at 30-45k either way depending what they find. 

4 hours ago, AndrewM said:

We will just all reminisce about the  day fuel used to cost AUD$2.00 per litre... 😄

$2.15 in SA at the moment.

Good to see the government reducing half of their fuel tax worked. Not that servo owners would be price gouging...nooooo

Assholes 

On 22/05/2022 at 20:34, LeeM said:

$2.15 in SA at the moment.

Good to see the government reducing half of their fuel tax worked. Not that servo owners would be price gouging...nooooo

Assholes 

Terminal gate prices: Terminal gate pricing | Products and services | Home (bp.com) click on the PDF link on RHS of page.

Markups vary wildly at the moment between 20-30c/L.  From this you deduct wages, transport, overheads, infrastructure and they're running quite small effective margins - which is OK (ish) for a high volume product.  But in reality, you need to sell 100,000L to make ~$25k.  Then pay wages, electricity, insurance, transport, building ownership & running costs.  There's a reason why servo shops are so damn expensive - it's the easiest/cheapest dollar they can earn.  I'm not saying there's no gouging going on - it's more than likely happening before the terminal gate, not after it.

Funny how fuel prices miraculously increased by 50cents a week after the government reduced the tax on it though. I'm calling bullshit when I hear these 'experts' saying "Oh it's covid, it's Russia, its Ukraine, it's the possibility of China going to war with Taiwan..." Next they'll say "Well we haven't had any flu cases for 2 fkn years, so let's increase the price of everything and blame it on that!" 

So tired of the fkn excuses by these muppets trying to justify themselves in their mega salary jobs. F..k off 

• 7 months later...
12 hours ago, 911CJT said:

Bumping this one back up. Car is with autohaus now. Quotes have risen for stock rebuild to budget for $50k. 10-12 weeks turn around. 

Come on mate, $50k is fkn ridiculous! 

Sounds like AH are just ripping people off blind because they can. It would've been worth a call to @Mike D'Silva 

Sadly that does seem to be what people in the US and UK are close to paying now when you factor in exchange rates. It’s gone crazy the last 6 months. Agree it’s an insane increase over a short period but not many other options at the moment. I think they’re also trying to manage expectations a bit too as my original quote last year was 25-35k. 

16 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Well I just think they're just ripping you off if you want me to be blunt. 

I'd also be asking for a cost breakdown for them to justify 50 grand

I agree, it’s insane but there’s no real way around it.  Prices for Porsche parts for engines has risen dramatically from what I understand. 

If you have a 996 or 997 gt3 metzger, don’t even ask about rebuilding costs as it is now way more than $50k , basically eye watering (parts prices for the bits inside, not labour) vs 2-3 years ago. I’ve done multiple engine rebuilds on gt3 and it’s now just extraordinary coin.  The labour all up on those is still 100 hours so it’s parts prices that are really driving most of it.  Sadly. 

1 hour ago, mc968cs said:

I agree, it’s insane but there’s no real way around it.  Prices for Porsche parts for engines has risen dramatically from what I understand. 

If you have a 996 or 997 gt3 metzger, don’t even ask about rebuilding costs as it is now way more than $50k , basically eye watering (parts prices for the bits inside, not labour) vs 2-3 years ago. I’ve done multiple engine rebuilds on gt3 and it’s now just extraordinary coin.  The labour all up on those is still 100 hours so it’s parts prices that are really driving most of it.  Sadly. 

It’s really crazy - I thought air cooled was nuts but now m96 and m97 are getting up there. 

In the US they’re quoting 30-35 for a solid rebuild so exchange rates factored in it’s about on par. Crazy to think three years ago I was quoted 10k 😂