Cayman UK imports Vs Local delivered

Boxternewbie

Hi guys,

I am looking to move from my 2.7 986 Boxster to a Cayman. I have to admit I love everything about the Boxster but I would like experience a fixed roof Porsche ownership.

I have noticed UK delivered cars priced at a discount to local delivered cars. Please chime in on any red flags I should be looking for during my shopping experience.

I am aware there in UK they treat the roads with salt so that may be a factor to look for rust underbody.

Would it be worth doing once you factor in all the extra costs? LCT and shipping would surely bring it close to what you can buy one here but I could be completely wrong.And you have to think resale value moving forward as most people here are only interested in locally supplied cars.

Realistically salt is the biggest issue, if a southern UK car ie Sussex, salt is less of a problem as the roads ice up further north. Price wise, 15 to 20% discount would be my comfort zone. 

previous owner imported mine, check the underside, then enjoy the discount for the same car. I wouldn't expected a 15-20% discount tho.

tho, '06 cayman S in australia came standard with cruise control for long boring highways we have, in the UK cruise control wasn't a standard feature.

1 hour ago, MARTY said:

Would it be worth doing once you factor in all the extra costs? LCT and shipping would surely bring it close to what you can buy one here

I'm reading it that they are considering a car that is in Australia brought in as a personal import. Unless currently living in the UK and owning the car a year I believe it's impossible to import a car less than 25 years old.

As already aware, corrosion is the biggest concern. They have a stigma attached due to this fear, therefore will be at a discount to AU delivered offering cheaper entry. With that naturally if and when you move it on regardless how long it's been in Australia you will be selling at a discount.

Just now, tomo said:

Pity the Government canned the 12 month old import plan that they were going to introduce.

Agreed. Not like they need to protect Australian Car Manufacturing anymore... 

7 minutes ago, Arne Krix said:

Good information, in the market myself and this topic was one of my points to consider as well.👍raining in Hamburg , European summer.😂

Glad you can work on your tan between rain showers... Freezing here at the moment!

15 hours ago, tomo said:

Pity the Government canned the 12 month old import plan that they were going to introduce.

You can trust your representatives in Canberra to do everything in their power to protect consumers from the scourge of lower prices.  

We’re so lucky they stopped the supermarket fuel discounts from exceeding 4c/litre.  Now with inflation that has dropped from a 4% discount to a 2% discount. Imagine the back slapping all round when the Canberra crew won that round against lower prices. 

oh, and let’s thank them for all the work on lowering energy costs…well, on second thoughts, let’s not open that box.

Parallel import bans never protected the manufacturing industry (obviously) - they do protect the players that make all the cash though. 

Back on topic - uk cars can be ok but the rust thing is real.  Get an inspection.  The ‘cheaper’ the car the more risk of daily driving on salted roads and being left in the weather.

• 1 month later...

I have an imported 997.2 and be prepared for messed up bolts/nuts/screws. The main body seems to be fine but expect to replace every bolt when doing any task. Get a blow torch, angle grinder, Dremel, and those sockets that do up to 80% rounded.

If your planning to have it for a while and like to tinker you can enjoy working your way around the car cleaning the big bits and replacing all the little bits to sort it.

If the car has been in the country a while most likely a lot of this has been done.

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Taffy said:

I have an imported 997.2 and be prepared for messed up bolts/nuts/screws. The main body seems to be fine but expect to replace every bolt when doing any task. Get a blow torch, angle grinder, Dremel, and those sockets that do up to 80% rounded.

If your planning to have it for a while and like to tinker you can enjoy working your way around the car cleaning the big bits and replacing all the little bits to sort it.

If the car has been in the country a while most likely a lot of this has been done.

Enjoy!

Pics or it did not happen  :)