Cheap 993 - for a reason

Just an FYI.. thought I'd share this info I found

So this one is a repairable write off. It's been owned and driven by the dealer who is selling it for last 6 odd years

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/porsche/911/newcastle/detail.aspx?id=37532858&lid=37532858&pg=3&pp=4&d=0&from=53

Still it might suit someone.. 

These days there are more stringent measures covering repairable writeoffs including structual inspection to ensure rails have not been cut and shut at points deemed to make a car structurally weaker, dealers to sign off on airbags, chassis meausrement reports etc

The cut and shut days of old and wiring in capacitors to bypass airbags are long gone.

Yes a repairable writeoff will always be cheaper then a car with a good history, but then sometimes pristine cars can also suffer minor damage and end up being labelled as repairable writeoffs.. and once repaired are still good cars

The big wrecks can no longer be re-registered these are all now statutory writeoffs and good for parts only..

Repairable writeoffs can be insured like any other car, what cant be insured are unrepaired hail damaged cars.. hence the question when you insure... 'does the car have any current unrepaired damage"...

It should be mandatory that the add states if it is a repairable write off. 

Well that confirms why I couldn't see anything about the car being a repairable write off.   <_<

Then again, the advertiser is doing himself no favours.  Nothing worse than arriving to view a vehicle to find that it isn't quite as described.

I ran a VIN check on it which was how I discovered it. So I thought I'd share this here so nobody else would waste $ doing one.

As its a Dealer car, I was thinking TRADE IN but that idea was short lived.

The Dealer did phone me too, about 4 days after I enquired on it. I was in a rush so I just said I knew it was a repaired write off and left it at that. I didn't wait to see if he'd disclose it or not.

it depends how good the repairs are. if considering this car, a thorough ppi along with a crash repairer inspection would be de rigeur here.looks nice though. best not to completely dismiss cars until you have eyeballed them. you gets what you pay for!

Some repairable write offs are for theft, when bits are stolen and it's uneconomic for the insurer to repurchase all the new bits. Soe are from hail damage, and as such aren't bad cars as long as it was repaired properly. Anything in a major shunt or a water immersion I would stay away from. The key is finding out what the damage and repairs are. Remember you'll struggle to sell when it comes time to move on as well. On that score, for a newish car, I wouldn't do it unless major mods or a very long ownership,is planned.

Archived