FS: 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder

Only about 70k over the odds...? ...and damned hard to register even if having previous registration...but cool nonetheless. there is one for sale in nz at the moment, think it is 15k nz

Here is a link to a good oz based site http://type550.com/ Andrew also owns a mcrae built spyder that had been prev registered, spent big on recreating an original but i believe it still is without road reg

thats strong money. however I can attest that this car is one of the best replicas available. I would have thought 50k max though?then again, kit costs 30k. motor 10k, gearbox 7k. all the small things? 10k... it adds up. cheaper than a ur one though......

This is big money...though i believe it sold early last year for 55 k to current owner. Pricing seems ahem optimstic.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/porsche/550/auction-463683887.htm

356 replicas are not that common and hover ether side of the 30k point? 550's less common again and likely fewer road registered...even the sydney based outfit redoing the chamonix kit were around the 60 k plus for a complied car...but did they sell any?

Hi All,

I live in Melbourne and a newbee to this forum. I was alerted to this topic as I have a 550 myself. I know this car well, which was previously owned by Kevin Pedder (owner of Pedder's Suspension) in SA. It is a nice McRae Spyder and is road registered, which is the biggest hurdle these days with this kind of car. They are limited in numbers in Oz, probably around 30 in total, maybe less, so they are highly sought after as you cannot import them in. Personally I think it is over priced considering what the dealer bought it for, but it would be great for me if he got the dollars he is asking!

thanks Andrew

It was Kevins Car yes.

He sold it to a guy who was setting up Classic Throttle Shop in Adelaide, they were going to use it as their honey for the flies(centre piece to draw people in).

109k is a lot of mumbo, it does have a Porsche Pushrod engine in it and it is in perfect order.

But...................very finite buying market for these me thinks.

It looks wicked though. I am both too tall and too fat for something like this.

Mmmmmm the New Zealand one is only $12179 AUD/$15000 NZD, wonder how much to

float it over to Brisbane...

Oh wait then the Govt wants their share,import duties, sales tax, who knows what else,

+ rego compliance, (if you can even get it).

Still $12K, tempting.

My thoughts are just that. Mine - but hey its a Replica or Kit car.

Value for me are at parts only.

I'd rather invest in an actual porsche than a model kit car badged as a porsche.

Can't see this selling even at half that price - no matter how good it looks.

having something like a 550 to drive around in would be fun, and i'm sure that cheap NZ one could be improved on

it looks really fun, if i had that spare cash right now i'd be all over it

I tried and got burnt a couple of years ago, though the loop hole then was to import them as 'parts' and then go through the process of having them rengineered as an ICV - unless you are in WA you would also need to have a current motor type installed - so a subie. There are a couple  running in OZ including Pete Mcleods subie powered hill climb (Mcrae)

To do it you will need a good engineer - we were approaching the re engineeer to suit the engine, belts and side impact as tipping over the ICV requirement - another is to look into race only use. this was specific to ACT requirements

But unlike other countries oz is a bit retrograde, when it comes to this sort of thing

Still interested to know how many of the chamonix were assembled and complied through the Sydney outfit? I assume they are no longer trading?

This has just entered Tas (ex Japan for many yrs) ; apparently a Beck replica titled 1968 ; VW engine and lots of 356 bits , a high quality one and instantly registerable here. Here I am having a little play ; son scored a road trip with the owner...

550rep1.jpg

one word How? do share? Andrew from TYP550 may chime in but there are  recent examples of 550 and other, who have been deregistered as the cars are not a 68 etc. I was also of the understanding the Chamonix guys in Sydney may have been  'helpful' in closing out some of the loophole.

While some cars exist pre straightening up of the current system, from experience and anecdote tryng to bring in say 2008 built car even with an O/S title claiming 68 can be fraught...or thought that the case?

BTW how many of the chamoinix cars were ever sold in Sydney?

But sweeeet

My spyder was originally registered as a 1970 VW roadster when I bought it. VicRoads audited the Frankston branch where it was registered and found it was not done properly. After a 2.5 year paper war with VicRoads, they won and now my car is a 2004 ICV which was the first time it was registered in NZ. It is currently on club plates.

I can assure you that Beck was not building spyders in 1968!

I think there was less that a dozen Chamonix cars sold by Peter - as they had to make them fully compliant, all the fun and looks were taken away, and they were expensive to for what they were - cheaper to buy a MX5

I don't know the details. What determines the date? Pre '89 cars can be imported , older than 30 years no need to convert to LHD in Tas.

The fact is is in the state and registered now. We don't have Vicroads, they sound like a real bunch and seem pretty much summed up by the Angry Aussie from Croyden on you tube  :)

Archived