Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
zpromax777

Advice on Hans

Recommended Posts

I am seeking a advice on HANS devices from those who do track work.

They seem like a good idea, especially when harnesses are installed, as it takes only a low speed accident for your neck to be put at risk.

PCV are considering introducing it as a mandatory requirement.

They cost a bit (around $750) but considering what they do, is cheap insurance.

What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolute no issue - totally the way to go, most Porsche club NSW drivers have been using them for years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, zpromax777 said:

I am seeking a advice on HANS devices from those who do track work.

They seem like a good idea, especially when harnesses are installed, as it takes only a low speed accident for your neck to be put at risk.

PCV are considering introducing it as a mandatory requirement.

They cost a bit (around $750) but considering what they do, is cheap insurance.

What do you think?

I would just add that a racer friend recommended the Simpson Hybrid Pro instead of the Hans as it is more comfortable and can be used with a wider harness, etc. I have found it is great. Now I just have to remember to close the car door and take the keys out of my pocket BEFORE I strap myself in and realise I have to take i all off again ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If using HANS I would strongly advise winged seats as well. It seems side impacts were never taken into account when designing HANS. There is also finger pointing at HANS for increasing back injury due to the way it transfers the accident forces of the head.

Simpson Is an excellent option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both a HANS and a Simpson hybrid. I tend to wear to the HANS when in my RS with 6point and of course the Simpson in cars with regular lap sash belts as that is what it was designed for. Overall, the Simpson is a more useable safety devic because you can use it in all cars with all types of belts and know you are safe. Some find it a bit uncomfortable in the middle of the back where the support is…others not. Recommend you try one on before buying if considering.

If getting HANS, for me, overall comfort during the day is very much dependent on weight. When purchasing, pay attention to the weight because they vary a lot, even within the one brand. Try and get the lightest one you can afford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MFX said:

I would just add that a racer friend recommended the Simpson Hybrid Pro instead of the Hans as it is more comfortable and can be used with a wider harness, etc. I have found it is great. 

Thanks for the tip as currently shopping for one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you notice the weight of a HANS then the Harness are nowhere near tight enough. 
For improved comfort you can not go past the gel shoulder pads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redracn said:

If you notice the weight of a HANS then the Harness are nowhere near tight enough. 
For improved comfort you can not go past the gel shoulder pads. 

Thats not the case for me. I always tighten my belts super tight (or often have someone to tighten them for me)….but I have slight frame and have worn enough to know that lighter is more comfortable for me. In and out of the car.

Porsche Track Experience_Master_GT4_Spa_822502_00504.jpg

Porsche Track Experience_Master_GT4_Spa_822502_01634.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Redracn said:

If you notice the weight of a HANS then the Harness are nowhere near tight enough. 
For improved comfort you can not go past the gel shoulder pads. 

+1 but also agree lighter is better. Also a must have if you’re using a harness imo. My head/neck worth more than $750 according to the boss 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...