Advice on Hans

zpromax777

I am seeking a advice on HANS devices from those who do track work.

They seem like a good idea, especially when harnesses are installed, as it takes only a low speed accident for your neck to be put at risk.

PCV are considering introducing it as a mandatory requirement.

They cost a bit (around $750) but considering what they do, is cheap insurance.

What do you think?

26 minutes ago, zpromax777 said:

I am seeking a advice on HANS devices from those who do track work.

They seem like a good idea, especially when harnesses are installed, as it takes only a low speed accident for your neck to be put at risk.

PCV are considering introducing it as a mandatory requirement.

They cost a bit (around $750) but considering what they do, is cheap insurance.

What do you think?

I would just add that a racer friend recommended the Simpson Hybrid Pro instead of the Hans as it is more comfortable and can be used with a wider harness, etc. I have found it is great. Now I just have to remember to close the car door and take the keys out of my pocket BEFORE I strap myself in and realise I have to take i all off again ;)

If using HANS I would strongly advise winged seats as well. It seems side impacts were never taken into account when designing HANS. There is also finger pointing at HANS for increasing back injury due to the way it transfers the accident forces of the head.

Simpson Is an excellent option. 

I have both a HANS and a Simpson hybrid. I tend to wear to the HANS when in my RS with 6point and of course the Simpson in cars with regular lap sash belts as that is what it was designed for. Overall, the Simpson is a more useable safety devic because you can use it in all cars with all types of belts and know you are safe. Some find it a bit uncomfortable in the middle of the back where the support is…others not. Recommend you try one on before buying if considering.

If getting HANS, for me, overall comfort during the day is very much dependent on weight. When purchasing, pay attention to the weight because they vary a lot, even within the one brand. Try and get the lightest one you can afford.

3 hours ago, MFX said:

I would just add that a racer friend recommended the Simpson Hybrid Pro instead of the Hans as it is more comfortable and can be used with a wider harness, etc. I have found it is great. 

Thanks for the tip as currently shopping for one. 

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

If you notice the weight of a HANS then the Harness are nowhere near tight enough. 
For improved comfort you can not go past the gel shoulder pads. 

Thats not the case for me. I always tighten my belts super tight (or often have someone to tighten them for me)….but I have slight frame and have worn enough to know that lighter is more comfortable for me. In and out of the car.

Porsche Track Experience_Master_GT4_Spa_822502_00504.jpg

Porsche Track Experience_Master_GT4_Spa_822502_01634.jpg

22 hours ago, Redracn said:

If you notice the weight of a HANS then the Harness are nowhere near tight enough. 
For improved comfort you can not go past the gel shoulder pads. 

+1 but also agree lighter is better. Also a must have if you’re using a harness imo. My head/neck worth more than $750 according to the boss 😉