Hotrod Suspension Upgrade

Philbee

After a few years of ownership now I’ve started to find  my stock suspension a bit wanting when zipping about in “them thar hills”… mainly on those bumpy bits & cornering.

so finally decided to bite the bullet and upgrade suspension… but not to race hardness just firm it up a bit.

- torsion bar upgrade to 22mm & 31mm

- shocks upgrade - bilstein sports B14/1620DC095D-6D5E-4426-9144-5C81596645DE.thumb.jpeg.f70e851d4e2c070e04b9e11189dc1aaf.jpeg

- while all out brake calipers were a bit tied, got reconditioned/rebuilt 

- wheel bearings done too

- brake pads & front disks replaced

F4D4B135-B01E-4FCE-AD54-C6E7C2DD2A15.thumb.jpeg.385f381d06d03f999a8d03e44a9205ba.jpeg

Happy days !! Just now getting used to the harsher ride. Cruising about home it’s definitely very firm even slightly uncomfortable now but hoping I’ll get used to it.

have been back to the hills recently, cornering is vastly improved, car feels much more stable. Some learning to be done now on working out the new limits.

F6F69011-9411-4FBC-86C6-0CDFB14CDD5B.thumb.jpeg.d48c6118740ec33152502673ff9ddb98.jpegA9C77E20-1341-437E-9086-D3BE384D0430.thumb.jpeg.86259469736b2ccdf8b1e6b650f909c5.jpeg28B1A392-5158-48E4-9030-46D3934BD89E.thumb.jpeg.397d07e6db5b9f0eab5d8a39070307a1.jpeg

Edit/Update: All thanks to my local guru (not me), Nick Cascone @casconeautosports. Great job!!! Just needs a driver with skill to manage it …👀

Edited by Philbee
Mechanic credit

• 3 months later...

Well, I put it down to a learning experience.

Unfortunately, the upgraded bars did not suit my application as I get my car out for the occasional cruise around home & spirited driving out on the weekend. A big part of that time is cruising  - driving to and from the spirited sections  or just driving  around home. The 'cruising' bit is where the bars were just too severe, made it uncomfortable for me. But definitely on the fast twisties, the cornering was improved!

So, have reverted back now to put more enjoyment in the cruising bit and a little less on the spirited driving bit....and placed the bars on our marketplace - and now sold.

philbee

I think so many people do exactly what you have done. They think they want to tighten up their old suspension a bit and end up making something that is actually worse for spirited road drives. Porsche actually did a good job from the start and if you just put in fresh shocks, and bushings, it will be compliant and still handle well on bumpy country roads. Stiff suspension is good for a nice smooth race track, but not great for the street.

My old car has the 'S' suspension with the Koni shocks and it is very capable on the road. It is not super stiff, but it soaks up the bumpy roads nicely. I might go for a bit more rear sway bar to make it a bit more neutral to get rid of the tendency for understeer. 

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Stiff suspension is good for a nice smooth race track, but not great for the street.

Spot on Jeff. I’m a street car guy with a touch of fast country road drives…. Never on a track.

I think i might look at the bushings this year as they’re currently still old stock rubber ones. 

On 05/01/2023 at 18:52, Philbee said:

Spot on Jeff. I’m a street car guy with a touch of fast country road drives…. Never on a track.

I think i might look at the bushings this year as they’re currently still old stock rubber ones. 

I’m a similar driver ,hopefully I’ll have mine also replaced in the near future. Decades old suspensions would certainly be tired.
The guys at my workshop also suggested  a refresh with new for old for the reasons that you’ve described.

My view is that the Porsche engineers specify the suspension for the intended use of each model, and they do that pretty well. 

In most of my (past and present) fast road cars I have stuck with standard springs/bars, and occasionally upgraded the shocks (when required). I do have a thing for thicker sway bars ... I tend to tweak the handling characteristics with them and tyres. Seems to preserve general comfort but elevate the handling ...

10 hours ago, Joz said:

I’m a similar driver ,hopefully I’ll have mine also replaced in the near future. Decades old suspensions would certainly be tired.
The guys at my workshop also suggested  a refresh with new for old for the reasons that you’ve described.

On your model, always thought not much of a  OEM  solution if one wanted to rectify the 4x4 look.  

• 2 weeks later...

One of the joys of owning these cars is the extent to which we can personalise them. I have 21 & 30 torsion bars on mine, with big (adjustable) sway bars. At times the car DOES feel a bit too firm on regular driving around but as soon as I get to the sweeping back roads, it is spot on. At some point I'll do the odd track day as well (have signed up for the track day at Luftwasser for example).

So in my case, the focus on enjoying twisty roads and the odd track day means that I am happy to put up with the firmer ride when cruising or just getting about - we each get to decide what suits us best.