Higher KM Cars Advice

Hey all,

As always appreciate the help and support. What are peoples thoughts on higher KM cars, especially 991.1 and 991.2 (even 997.2)? As a daily driver it may be more beneficial for me to look at cars in the 70k-100k+ range as they have already gone through a lot of the high KM depreciation. 

It's of course always nice to try and look in that 20-40km range, but is it really that much difference for a car like this? And it's seem there's a big premium sub 50k for these cars. 

It's not a car I'm trying to garage and invest in but I wanna have fun and drive the bloody thing. 

As you can see I'm flip flopping and enjoy the ride finding my first 911 haha! 

Thanks in advance.

My second porker was a well optioned silver 7.1S manwell.
It had 70k on the clock and I sold it 6 months later with 5k more on it including a trip from Syd to Melb as I was petrified of depreciation at the time paired with the fact I was buying a new house and needed cash. 

At the time it was the most I’d ever paid for a car, a lot of blood and sweat went into it, and there was chatter about value to kms - I really felt each km I drove I was loosing money. 

This was under 5 years ago for memory.

Fast forward that car is worth more than then and looks just as good if not better. 

All of us could be dead tomorrow so if buying at the lower end works for you enjoy it like no tomorrow, as when they are low km minters you’ll be scared of it and it’s in most cases not good for the car to be inoperable for such a period- just keep it well serviced and have a ball.

I would add better specc’d cars will hold value better I think- seems new cars are getting every spec under the sun- where as I’d be happy as base spec to save some weight!

Good luck!

The aversion to using our cars for want of not racking up mileage is a uniquely Australian thing, you can find these cars listed with 100k plus miles on them every day of the week in the US.

There is almost no difference between one of these with 40k on it or 80k on it imo (other than price). Long as the servicing is done you’re golden.

1 hour ago, Boosh said:

I don't get the high milage thing. These cars are built well and if maintained will last a very long time. Just adjust the price accordingly.

Absolutely, had no issues with doing 20,000kms in 2 1/2 years in my 996 GT3.  Sold it 4 months ago very easily at a price which reflected the 138,000km mileage, as my buy price had also reflected the 118,000kms when I purchased it.  Everyone happy!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/10/2022 at 01:25, PorkaDan said:

Hey all,

What are peoples thoughts on higher KM cars, especially 991.1 and 991.2 (even 997.2)?

Thanks in advance.

Not an issue IF the vehicle has been well or over maintained and it has not been abused. But when you are buying "used" how do you know that, so you are always taking a chance.

I bought both my 911s "used" and I prefer to buy from the original owner, if possible. So a one or two owner car at most. You should see a full maintenance report of servicing. The more owners you have, that stuff gets lost usually.

Hard to tell if the vehicle (engine & transmission) has been abused so getting a thorough PPI from someone that knows what they are doing is a big plus. Not all PPIs are the same and many are a joke. Be there to view it all and it should take a couple of hours. Going all out (bore scoring) can take longer and cannot be done through spark plug holes. These engines are expensive and so is a PDK transmission.

These are incredible vehicles.

My old bucket of bolts just went past 156k miles (250k kms) on the weekend and still going strong.  I enjoy having a higher mileage car as I just keep adding the miles on.  Yes I'll be up for an engine rebuild someday, I'll also be up for a casket at some point myself.  Porsches are made for driving.  If you can save a bit of money on a 70k car and aren't delusional that it'll be worth more than a 30k car, have at it.  70k is nothing in a well serviced car. IMG_5357.thumb.jpg.f80a8519cbc8a3ca94196e917340af82.jpg

4 hours ago, Coastr said:

My old bucket of bolts just went past 156k miles (250k kms) on the weekend and still going strong. 

How long have you had it and do you know what parts got replaced during its life? That tells me a lot about reliability.

Not that long - the list of parts is in the file but no engine or gearbox rebuild documented.  Plenty of other things.  Cars don’t last forever no matter what you do.  Park them up and don’t drive them they die.  Drive them forever they die.  Cars are mortal creatures, the only way they survive is by replacing stuff.