928 fans - "man hole covers" wheels vs Teledials.

Big Easy

Afternoon gurus. Personally I love the look of the teledials wheels and have them on my 928 (in original 15 inch spec as delivered when new), but the previous owner had put 16 inch manhole covers on as his preference. So what are the 928 fans on this site preference? I've still got the man hole wheels in the garage and have nothing against them per se - I just think the teledials finish off my car better and suit it more. 

Manholes in standard gray or silver finish.  However colour coded ones are vomit worthy.  Teledial's look old fashion and too fussy for me.

A useless but interesting (to me!) Porsche fact:  The coolest Porsche ever made used Manhole's with the cooling holes enlarged.  Yes, I was surprised too!

porsche-959-dakar-photo-real-3.jpg

The phrase " Man Hole Covers " originated in the USA  , Porsche referred to them as just " Alloy Wheel Forged " then followed by which anodised finish , like  "Platinum or Silver " anodised finish , they are made by Fuchs of Germany and are light and very very strong , which normal for genuine Fuchs forged wheels & very hard to bend out of shape 

They only came new in an anodised finish ( never polished or painted ) in a few different anodised shades of platinum or silver depending of the era , meaning from 1980 to around 1984 the new owner could option a more bronze look for the anodised Fuchs forged wheels , but this went out of favour around 1984 or 1985 , meaning the bronze anodised look as opposed to the silver anodised finish

The 4.5L 928 ( 1978-1982 ) came standard with 15" cast and painted telephone wheels , but could be optioned with the 16" Forged Fuchs anodised wheels by the owner 

The 4.7L 928S ( 1980 - 1985 ) came standard with the 16" cast and painted telephone wheels , but could be optioned with the 16" Forged Fuchs anodised wheels by the owner

The 4.7 L 928S , 1986 ( UK version ) or the 5.0L 928S ( 1986 other markets ) came standard with the 16" forged Fuchs anodised wheels in the silver finish , the telephone wheels were no longer used because the 1986 model now came with the bigger 4 piston Brembo brakes as standard and Porsche wanted the slightly more wheel clearance ( brake caliber to wheel ) that the forged wheels gave

The 1988 928 Club Sport came with my favorite Fuchs wheels of this style , the Fuchs wheels with the larger holes in them ( see below photo photo ) 16" x 8 " front & 16" x 9 " rear  , these were very similar to the Club Sport wheels fitted to the 951 Turbo S in 1988 & 1989 , in fact the rear wheels ( 9" x16" are the same rear wheels / same part number on the 951 S of 1988 & 1989 )

The 1989 928GT had the same forged Fuchs wheels ( 8"x16" ) front and (16" x 9 ") rear but now with raised holes in them for the tyre pressure sensors 

The 1990 & 1991 928GT no longer had forged Fuchs wheels ( probably for costs reasons ) as they are more expensive to make than cast wheels 

The Last Porsche( any model ) to have forged Fuchs wheels as standard fitment ( ever ) was the Porsche 928S4 of 1991 

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

image.png

On 20/11/2022 at 12:44, Buchanan Automotive said:

The phrase " Man Hole Covers " originated in the USA  , Porsche referred to them as just " Alloy Wheel Forged " then followed by which anodised finish , like  "Platinum or Silver " anodised finish , they are made by Fuchs of Germany and are light and very very strong , which normal for genuine Fuchs forged wheels & very hard to bend out of shape 

They only came new in an anodised finish ( never polished or painted ) in a few different anodised shades of platinum or silver depending of the era , meaning from 1980 to around 1984 the new owner could option a more bronze look for the anodised Fuchs forged wheels , but this went out of favour around 1984 or 1985 , meaning the bronze anodised look as opposed to the silver anodised finish

The 4.5L 928 ( 1978-1982 ) came standard with 15" cast and painted telephone wheels , but could be optioned with the 16" Forged Fuchs anodised wheels by the owner 

The 4.7L 928S ( 1980 - 1985 ) came standard with the 16" cast and painted telephone wheels , but could be optioned with the 16" Forged Fuchs anodised wheels by the owner

The 4.7 L 928S , 1986 ( UK version ) or the 5.0L 928S ( 1986 other markets ) came standard with the 16" forged Fuchs anodised wheels in the silver finish , the telephone wheels were no longer used because the 1986 model now came with the bigger 4 piston Brembo brakes as standard and Porsche wanted the slightly more wheel clearance ( brake caliber to wheel ) that the forged wheels gave

The 1988 928 Club Sport came with my favorite Fuchs wheels of this style , the Fuchs wheels with the larger holes in them ( see below photo photo ) 16" x 8 " front & 16" x 9 " rear  , these were very similar to the Club Sport wheels fitted to the 951 Turbo S in 1988 & 1989 , in fact the rear wheels ( 9" x16" are the same rear wheels / same part number on the 951 S of 1988 & 1989 )

The 1989 928GT had the same forged Fuchs wheels ( 8"x16" ) front and (16" x 9 ") rear but now with raised holes in them for the tyre pressure sensors 

The 1990 & 1991 928GT no longer had forged Fuchs wheels ( probably for costs reasons ) as they are more expensive to make than cast wheels 

The Last Porsche( any model ) to have forged Fuchs wheels as standard fitment ( ever ) was the Porsche 928S4 of 1991 

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

image.png

Thanks Bruce for such an informative response. I was told that the early first series manuals came with 16 inch teledials as standard, whereas the auto's had 15 inch. Do you know if this is correct? Mine is an 1980 4.5 manual and I've put 15 inch teledials on it which look great to me and I won't change them but I'm just curious. Thanks. Anthony.

Hi Anthony , no its totally incorrect , every 4.5L 928 ( 1978 - 1982 ) came standard with 15" dia telephone wheels , be it manual or auto , BUT there was nothing stopping a new buyer( lease actually ) of a 928 4.5L ( 1978-1982 ) to order 16" ( S ) wheels as an option be itthe cast and painted telephone style or ordering the 16" dia forged & anodised Fuchs wheels , either was readily available from Porsche when ordering the car new or years later or even decades later with the 3rd or 4th owner .
Remember , like today , if an option is available to a customer , Porsche is more than happy to supply if the owner is happy to pay for it , just like every other car maker 
Regards
Bruce Buchanan  
Buchanan Automotive

6 hours ago, Big Easy said:

Thanks Bruce for such an informative response. I was told that the early first series manuals came with 16 inch teledials as standard, whereas the auto's had 15 inch. Do you know if this is correct? Mine is an 1980 4.5 manual and I've put 15 inch teledials on it which look great to me and I won't change them but I'm just curious. Thanks. Anthony.