Some questions about petrol

autojack

At the start of a long home renovation project, I moved my 911 to temporary storage, which I expected to last about 9 months. At that time I filled the tank to full, and then added fuel stabiliser. This car has a Steve Wong chip with a fuel map for 95 octane and right after I filled the tank, I realised that I had put in 91. Since I wasn't going to be driving it, I left that problem for Future Owen to deal with.

It's now about 18 months later and I'm finally ready to bring the car home and put it in the new garage, but I have two potential issues. First, the fuel stabiliser says it's good for 12 months, and it's already been longer than that. The tank is a bit more than 3/4 full, and it's going to take awhile for me to run through the rest of it. What I've read online seems to say that you can't just add more stabiliser to the same tank of petrol and have it keep working.

Second, the octane rating of the petrol I put in is too low, and I've also read that this may reduce further over time. Having said that, I've driven the car a few times since it was parked and not noticed any knocking, although I wasn't flooring it or anything.

So, what should I do? I could add octane boost now to take care of the low octane rating. I think I'm leaning towards doing that, and then just trying to run down the remaining petrol as soon as I can. It wouldn't do any harm. But I'm not sure if there's anything else I can or should do.

Smartest and easiest thing to do would be to dump the fuel, add some new fuel with a jerry can and add a good engine cleaner in like either Nulon, or Liqui Moly. 

You could just put an octane booster in and start the car and it might be fine, it may not. If it was my run around, which I don't care too much for, I'd do that. In my 911, not a chance. I'd go with option one.

Why roll the dice when dumping the fuel and starting fresh isn't a massive job to begin with.

Drain the tank (underneath) and remove and inspect the Fuel Tank Strainer for any particles &/or water.

There is something different with 'new' petrol as it doesnt last very long - my friends with prewar cars are having lots of issues when they leave petrol in tanks for long periods.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I should say that I already drove it for 30 minutes yesterday and it ran absolutely perfectly. That was before I realised that I couldn't just add more stabiliser to it until I finished off this tank. I wasn't expecting everyone to suggest dumping the fuel, but I can understand wanting to be cautious. Still, it's 70 litres' worth, and I'm an hour from home without any tools (at our holiday house, going home Sunday). I could do it, but... I'm more inclined to take it on several long drives and use up as much of the petrol as I can, and then refill it. 

21 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

Me....I'm in the drive it and don't thrash it camp.

It still combusts, therefore as long as you drive sensibly, then how much harm can it really do? Perhaps I'm just an ignorant, but that works for me :Chuckle2:

Well... It could gum up the whole fuel system, and cause excessive crud to accumulate on the valves. I'm not trying to be cavalier about it, and I'm usually pretty paranoid. But dumping it feels unnecessary in this situation. I'd be more inclined to do that if it hadn't had any stabiliser in it this whole time.

Fair point, and it all boils down to individual risk tolerance.

For me, it's been months not multiple years plus you added the stabiliser.

11 minutes ago, autojack said:

Well... It could gum up the whole fuel system, and cause excessive crud to accumulate on the valves. I'm not trying to be cavalier about it, and I'm usually pretty paranoid. But dumping it feels unnecessary in this situation. I'd be more inclined to do that if it hadn't had any stabiliser in it this whole time.

I'm about to do the same with my Boxster which has been sitting for around 18 months as well but I only have about a 1/4 of a tank of fuel. 

If I just fill it up with new fuel and let it mix with the old fuel would that cause any issues?

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

I think everyone's overthinking things.  Just top up your tanks with your usual fuel and just drive.

Absolutely Peter - driving normally without trips to the redline will use the problematic fuel without harm. And    where do you "dump" 70 Litres of fuel?

On 31/12/2022 at 05:28, OZ930 said:

If it’s 98 then put it in a car that doesn’t need 98 or lawn mower, whipper snipper…two stroke engine, don’t forget to add oil.

If I was feeling I should reuse the fuel in something else, I'd only reuse in something that is known to be easy to start like my wife's car rather than lawn equipment as old fuel can cause hard starting when cold.  However, leaving the mower in the sun for an hour before trying to start does work wonders when the fuel's a bit stale!

As for changes in octane and increases in gum deposits, I think that is less of a problem for our likely circumstances than possible effect on cold starting and running:

Aging effects on gasoline–ethanol blend properties and composition - ScienceDirect (Whilst this is looking at the effects of storing E25 up to 6 months, it's easy to read and gives some real comparative numbers that show many effects are relatively small) 

Liquid Fuel Ageing Processes in Long-term Storage Conditions | IntechOpen (See Section 4.1 and Conclusion.  This paper looks at the effects of storing various fuels up to 4 years.  I found it interesting that all the petrol samples still met the original RON octane requirements but not the MON.)

I'm sure there are more specific scientific papers out there but the above are free!  The technical info on the various fuel suppliers websites tends to be a very conservative "we can't guarantee it after 3 months so replace it" default position.