Senna v Prost v Schumacher

Vas

Looking at a vote by over two hundred ex F1 drivers on the greatest of all time.

See results here http://f1greatestdrivers.autosport.com/?driver=40

The top ten are interesting.

After a long think, I will go with the following.

1. Senna

2. Schumacher

3. Prost

This is for the last 30 years as its hard to say on those I never saw race.

What do you guys think ?  :)

illegal fuel filler(6 sec pit stops when everyone else were taking 7-8), illegal traction control(flawless starts when before that he couldn't start for $h1t), when he was with Benneton, and then the time he braked in front of Damon Hill, then taking hill out to win the championship, when he vered right opening the door for Villinueve and then closed it taking himself out,  and more recently trying to drive his former team mate into a wall. Sorry despite his numbers I don't like or rate him. harsh yes but true none the less

Senna

Piquet

Lauda.

Senna has easily been the best in my lifetime. Nelson piquet was brilliant in a car he had no right to win a championship in, the brabham. Just shows what a brilliantly talented driver he was. Lauda was just sublime and truly the bravest man I have ever seen to come back from that horrific crash at the ring and get back in car 6 weeks later.... Just unbelievable.

Schumacher follows this lot questionably. No doubting his skills just his ethics.....

C

Wikipedia - ahh the source of all good and reliable facts.

I witnessed how the cheat behaves with my own eyes but clearly others saw the same thing and documented it on wiki. Just because it is on wiki doesnt make anything true but what he did is well known to F1 fans even if the cheats fanboys like to gloss over his history.

My third would be Gilles Villnueve or Alonso, but for me it is Senna and then the rest. No one, in my time watching F1, comes even close. The professor  was an amazing technician and so gentle on his cars, which made him incredibly quick and consistent, and a pleasure to watch but Senna's brilliance and sheer skill and audacity was something else,

Senna

Piquet

Lauda.

Senna has easily been the best in my lifetime. Nelson piquet was brilliant in a car he had no right to win a championship in, the brabham. Just shows what a brilliantly talented driver he was. Lauda was just sublime and truly the bravest man I have ever seen to come back from that horrific crash at the ring and get back in car 6 weeks later.... Just unbelievable.

Schumacher follows this lot questionably. No doubting his skills just his ethics.....

C

Yes, nice picks, Chris.

I also rate Piquet high on the list.

He was my man growing up.

As for the cheat talk on MS, it may be true.

However, he is still the best driver I ever saw in a Kart.

That for me is the most true test of all.

For absolute commitment I would have to go with Senna, Gille Villenueve, and Didier Pironi,

with Rene Arnoux, Stefan Bellof and Manfred Winklehock close by!

Villenueve was a great driver, Mike.

I don't think we got to see just how good. :)

Mr Senna, for me, by a country mile

But I think Vettel is going to give him a shake.

I Prefer a lot of other personalities than Vettel but you have to give it to him he is quick and can drive.

He is also fearless, which I hope is not his downfall.

Does raise the question, who are some of the favourites from the current generation?

I also agree Niko, Vettel is a superstar.

Senna is my all time number one, current gen I think Alonso and Kimi. Was great to see the Iceman win at Melbourne today. Dont get me started on Webber's performance...............

http://youtu.be/_O1hM-k3aUY?t=9s

From the current bunch, Kimi, Alonso, then Vettel and for pure persistance Webber.

For me, Kimi and Alonso are the fighterswith pure speed.

Vettel has the full backing of the team which is something Webber seems to lack.

A quick look at fastest laps shows the ability of Webber but he has enough bad luck for the whole team!

We do seem to be lacking in superstar numbers though, although,  we do have more than we had during the Schumacher dynasty.   

This in my opinion is why he won his championships, a lack of real opposition!

Look back to the Stewart, Clark, Brabham, Hill, Rindt, Cevert, Ickx, Peterson, Stomelen, era these guys were true stars and fearless! 

They also raced with guys who were almost as good the entire field was of the same attitude and mentality.

The danger was far greater then, when there were 5 or more drivers being killed every year!

Current gen is full of great drivers.

Vettel and Hamilton are even for mine.

I think the fastest driver is Hamilton ,just needs a good car.

Would have made a good thread  <_<

I wouldnt say MS was a cheat. Over zealous and debatable driving when he was on his game before he 'retired' maybe, but not a cheat. He's a racer,yet with Mercedes, he was a dirty driver with blocking and doing some dodgy driving in my opinion. Irregular fuels etc is the teams responibility, not the driver

I'm glad he's retired now, as he had his day with Benetton and Ferrari, and made a bit of a fool of himself just for the Mercedes PR machine.

Again, just my opinion.

I should have thought more about my top three ( I have a habit of posting BEFORE I think!) yet Senna is still at the top. He was a racer through and through, but I'd have to include Rene Arnoux or Elio Deangilis in there for overall ability with car control.

Again a little off topic, are F1 drivers the best drivers? I always enjoy watching ROC and seeing WRC drivers VS F1, shows how amazing some of the rally guys are (loeb in particular!).

Again a little off topic, are F1 drivers the best drivers? I always enjoy watching ROC and seeing WRC drivers VS F1, shows how amazing some of the rally guys are (loeb in particular!).

Hugh that is true F1 gets the focus but, many of those guys buy their drives as with many other catergories! 

The Sports car, Touring Car, Rally, Indy Car, GoKarts etc all have great drivers that for one reason or another, do not get to F1.

Just because they get there does not mean they have the real ability or deserve to be there, it just means they have positioned themselves correctly! ( Due to one reason or another)   

Hugh, the ROC is heavily weighed toward the rally guys.

Cars and track.

MS was the king of that event, shows just how good he was.

In the end of year Kart race for F1 drivers he was untouchable.

He is top three all day.  :)

Loeb v Senna would be a great thread.

Sorry, a bit off topic. MS is still the top Tony Kart test driver when they build new chassis etc

I believe he does it for nothing as a favour to the company, and still competes in his spare time at national level in Germany in the gearbox category.

Theres plenty of video's on Youtube with him in a Kart

Forward to 3;20

Thanks , Lee.

Having raced at the top level in Australia (in my class), I have great respect for anyone with MS karting abilities.

World Champ Karting is as good as it gets.

Even Senna thought so.

Archived