Dealer Decal

CarreraG50

Hi All,

A freind has just finished a big $$$$$ resto on an XBGT coupe,(for what he spent, could have got

a great RS rep or the best SC/3.2 in the country) Anyway he traced who the original dealer was, got

a hi-res photo of that dealers sticker, had a new one made up, just finishes of the resto nicely. 

So my car was delivered by John Newell Porsche, any one have a hi-res of the dealer sticker from 87.

Probably a bit of a w*#k, but would be kinda cool...

Cheers

John

My ex was American and she was shocked we all have dealer stickers on our cars, as they don't do that in the US. Mine didn't have one but would have removed it, as unless they are paying me I am not advertising their business for free. Anyway I guess if it is a show car where things like that get points it might be worth doing but not something I would care about

peace

Cyberpunky

My ex was American and she was shocked we all have dealer stickers on our cars, as they don't do that in the US. Mine didn't have one but would have removed it, as unless they are paying me I am not advertising their business for free. Anyway I guess if it is a show car where things like that get points it might be worth doing but not something I would care about

peace

Cyberpunky

yeh first thng I rip off the car too!  And any dealer that puts it back on after service - I rip it off and hand it back to them!  

So funny that I read the OP question and thought on oh thats a cool idea on an old porsche :)

peace

Cyberpunky

i remember seeing an article on either hemmings or jalopnik about all the old dealer badges they used to have (rather than stickers)

My first thought was rip it off but after a certain age , provenance means something. Everyone assumes my car is ex USA just because it's LHD. The sticker is a signal it ain't!

My 944 has a Scuderia Veloce original sticker on it - and that's staying also.

My 952 was from Scuderia Veloce too, but sticker is long gone. I got it from another dealer but they didn't fit a sticker or I would have taken it off

Russ, my old 1969 KE10 Corolla still had the AMI(the importers back then) badge on the side, which we refitted after the respray

I sourced an original "92.3 EON FM" sticker from the eighties. EON FM was a Melbourne FM radio station for all of you interstaters. i think it looks great and really keeps with the overall "yuppiness" of the car!

I have a few other 80's stickers as back up.

Ebay was the source.

I sourced an original "92.3 EON FM" sticker from the eighties. EON FM was a Melbourne FM radio station for all of you interstaters. i think it looks great and really keeps with the overall "yuppiness" of the car!

I have a few other 80's stickers as back up.

Ebay was the source.

Great idea! I used to listen to EON FM - takes me back!

When I had my pink xy, I always wondered what music used to be played through the speakers during it's early years. I'm sure I'll be wondering the same thing in the Porsche.

220px-Eonfmlogo.jpg

Period stickers are pretty cool... the whole idea of people putting them on Fords and Holdens is to portray originality and show that the car is a "survivor"... these cars where worth nothing for many years and sat rusting in paddocks and garages and where used for parts to rebuild other cars... hence a window sticker is used to reflect this car was "garaged an driven by an old lady to church on sundays"

Not to be a snob, but generally cars on this forum have had a more privilidged life and are not the by-product of a shell build up using other cars....

In saying that... I'd sport a period sticker on my car, but all the cool ones i've seen hark back to the 60's and 70's

Folks,

some great feedback, thanks, Forget the dealer decal, try and track down an equivelent mid 80's one of these

https://www.allzim.com/acatalog/NLA.701.020.00.jpg

cheers

Change 2 to a 3 and 7 to an 8 and voila! 

Lots of cool little details in older cars , totally missing from mid 80s onwards .

peace

Cyberpunky

But it's common in the us for dealers to fit number plate frames, which you do see a lot of.

Looking at John Newells site - they must have a copy of photo of their old logo. Look at the cool stuff on their website

http://www.johnnewell.com.au/home/our-history

I'd ask them - I bet they'd like the idea :D providing they are allowed to of course (maybe Porsche would object given they are no longer a dealer)

If they haven't moved premises in the meantime they might still have a box of the old ones lying around.

But it's common in the us for dealers to fit number plate frames, which you do see a lot of.

She hadn't been stateside in a while lol but she was shocked seeing them on nearly every car.

I will have to see if I can find my old sticker collection. think I might have had a cpl of the EON FM stickers. Mark I am the same, got stickers going back decades

Archived