IMS Bearing Replacement

JustJames

For your viewing pleasure, a series of pics showing IMS bearing removal and replacement. In this case, the engine was out of the car - IMS bearing replacement is usually done in situ when the clutch is changed.

Extractor tool being used to remove the old bearing...

2013-03-26_15-01-44_62_zpsc43e0a3f.jpg

Bearing removed. The engine oil being tipped out is symptomatic of the problem. Although this particular bearing was still healthy, it should be filled with grease, not oil. As has been documented elsewhere, the engine oil eventually flushes out the grease which is the start of the problem.

2013-03-26_15-08-02_945_zpsd3b7eb9f.jpg

IMS with bearing removed, ready for new bearing

2013-03-26_15-03-44_890_zpsc794cc34.jpg

New bearing installed, cheesy thumbs up of joy

2013-03-26_15-15-14_431_zps769b8fb5.jpg

When you 'roll' the old one, does it sound different to a new one?

I recently replaced some idler pulleys which run a bearing like this that had gone dry, and they sounded very, well, dry.  The new ones were a bit tight and silent.  Is that the case with the IMS bearing?

Also - photo 2 shows what looks like the new bearing in the box - can you show the difference between new and old?  Is the new still a roller bearing or something else?

Coastr, the old bearing did not sound/feel rough.

Well spotted - the new shininess is in the box in the background of one of the pics showing the busted oldness. There's nothing visible to point at because the bits that matter - the ceramic bearing - are hidden inside the body of the bearing.

All the reading I've done says that cars that are used regularly and enthusiastically tend to do better than cars that are used infrequently and gently, presumably because the more active cars sploosh more engine oil into the bearing. And as you can see, this car had a fair amount of oil exiting the bearing. The question becomes one of "Do you feel lucky? ...well....do ya?" if you know you are driving your M96 engined car often and enthusiastically.

If Porsche had put some money into fixing this problem when it reared it`s ugly head, rather than spending BILLIONS trying to acquire Volkswagen coincidently right at the same time there would be a lot less grey haired M96/M97 Drivers out there 

My luck is just so bad I just couldn't live with knowing my car was / was not a time bomb, really sad as the 996 is a beautiful looking car and from what I've read a great drive too...

I know you can get the IMS done for about $2.5k, but I'd be worried there were other weaknesses that weren't as well known.

@TenDegrees

I don't know the mileage on this one.  The car was in for work unrelated to the IMS, but while the engine was on the bench it made sense to upgrade the IMS.

@VinnieChase

This was a Boxster engine, but it's the same M96 engine as used in the 996.  My understanding is that the M97 engine uses a different, beefier bearing design which means that the bearing can't be replaced from the outside of the engine, but also that IMS bearing failure is not the endemic problem with the M97 that it is with the M96.

James, Looking at a 02 Boxster. Have asked for the engine No. & Vin No.from seller to determine what is in it. 65000ks with service history. NSW safety check says compliance plate No 5/01 so I'm not sure if it is a 02 car. Any thought/clues?

Barry,

I had my IMS,clutch, pressure plate, dual mass flywheel replaced by a well known Porsche shop in Sydneys west in Dec 2010. The price was $3500.

I think of it as insurance. What is a Box worth if the engine lets go....not much I dare say.

Mine was a double row & perfect.

Good luck with your purchase.

Work on a price in the region of $700 for the uprated IMS bearing.

With 65,000km if the car hasn't had a clutch, you may want to factor in a new clutch anyway. Although it's impossible to guess because some people manage intergalactic mileages on a clutch while others can reduce them to expensive smoke just getting out of the garage.

• 1 month later...

Gday all, please excuse my ignorance but my mechanical aptitude is in the lower category!!  Seeing as my new baby is an auto is it still fitted with an IMS bearing?? I have seen lots of posts regarding changing the IMS when doing the clutch. Am I to assume that only manuals have the IMS bearing. 

Thanks Steve.

Gday all, please excuse my ignorance but my mechanical aptitude is in the lower category!!  Seeing as my new baby is an auto is it still fitted with an IMS bearing?? I have seen lots of posts regarding changing the IMS when doing the clutch. Am I to assume that only manuals have the IMS bearing. 

Thanks Steve.

The IMS bearing is part of the engine, not the transmission. All cars have it whether manual or automatic....so the answer to your question is YES!

Bugger!!!

So how do we determine if it has been done or not??

Thanks Steve.

Do you know who the last owner was?  Any receipts with the car or do you know who used to service it? 

You are probably best off to assume it has not been done, do it and then sleep well at night :)

Thanks Amanda, I dont know the previous owner and there is nothing in the servicemanual. Looks like I am up for a new bearing KIt plus fitting.   Does anyone have a suggestion on which IMS kit is the best??

Cheers Steve

Archived