All EV except 911 by 2030?

DJM

The same thing that always happens. Make the masses take on the shitty solution. The very rich get to have their cake and eat it by still being able to access expensive hybrids to keep the volume of hybrids low.

Until they sort out the charging debacle I won't be buying a new car for anything other than work / runabout uses.

Plenty of fun petrol cars with 40+ years of life left in them. Should be enough to see me out. So it isn't all doom and gloom.

Farken ell...it's all over the world with this ev crap, and it's the same "There isn't enough infrastructure to support it", yet they keep pushing this bullshit! 

Are politicians and these greenie idiots actually reading and seeing what's happening when there's line ups and what not just to charge the cars? One pommy bloke I saw last night on Instagram said he bought the small ev, and it was costing him £3 to charge it at a public charger. Now it's £25 per charge, as the companies who own the chargers are now milking it.

It was the same globally when all the governments were pushing the diesel powered car agenda, yet places like Paris have now banned them due to how much more carcinogenic their emissions are, and now in London you have to an £8 tax just to drive your less than 5 year old diesel in there, but if it's over 5 years old you basically pay double that or more. I read it all last night, and I think it's f..ken hilarious how stupid and gullible people can be to listen to these 'experts' with all their doom and gloom and the ev agenda

I've said it before on here that I'm not against ev's at all, as they have their purpose and are probably great cars, yet why the f..k are these governments pushing this so hard to ban fossil fuelled cars...the enviroment/global warming? Pffft...bullshit! It's got to be all about money and having these fucken asshats in power think they know what they're doing, because of some half arsed uni knobhead tells them so. 

I'm so over all of this government bullshit when they blame the Ukraine war on high fuel prices, so ev is the way to go, or even the price of fucken tomato's is because of the war, yet now the Australian government have just signed a 30 year $300billion deal to have nuclear powered submarines, yet we have a housing crisis in this country? Maybe stop the influx of immigration freeloaders, stop sending billions to countries that have never supported us in a crisis, build some houses and sort the country out instead of sucking the man vegetables of other countries leaders and blowing untold billions on shit we're probably never going to use.

That's it, I'm done, rant over 👍

Yes, I'm in a filthy mood

It is a good thing I don't drive new cars ;)

Even if everything is electric by 2035, it still means there is another 20 years or so at least until the poorest of our population is driving an EV, so the is still 30 years with plenty of ICE cars on the road, and I will still be driving my old stinky cars :D . 

To be honest, even if it does go all EV ( and that is a big IF), it is really not the end of the world. If you like new cars (I am not fussed) they are only getting better handling, faster, etc, so it is not like we are all going to be stuck driving Nissan Leafs. 

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

Farken ell...it's all over the world with this ev crap, and it's the same "There isn't enough infrastructure to support it", yet they keep pushing this bullshit! 

Are politicians and these greenie idiots actually reading and seeing what's happening when there's line ups and what not just to charge the cars? One pommy bloke I saw last night on Instagram said he bought the small ev, and it was costing him £3 to charge it at a public charger. Now it's £25 per charge, as the companies who own the chargers are now milking it.

It was the same globally when all the governments were pushing the diesel powered car agenda, yet places like Paris have now banned them due to how much more carcinogenic their emissions are, and now in London you have to an £8 tax just to drive your less than 5 year old diesel in there, but if it's over 5 years old you basically pay double that or more. I read it all last night, and I think it's f..ken hilarious how stupid and gullible people can be to listen to these 'experts' with all their doom and gloom and the ev agenda

I've said it before on here that I'm not against ev's at all, as they have their purpose and are probably great cars, yet why the f..k are these governments pushing this so hard to ban fossil fuelled cars...the enviroment/global warming? Pffft...bullshit! It's got to be all about money and having these fucken asshats in power think they know what they're doing, because of some half arsed uni knobhead tells them so. 

I'm so over all of this government bullshit when they blame the Ukraine war on high fuel prices, so ev is the way to go, or even the price of fucken tomato's is because of the war, yet now the Australian government have just signed a 30 year $300billion deal to have nuclear powered submarines, yet we have a housing crisis in this country? Maybe stop the influx of immigration freeloaders, stop sending billions to countries that have never supported us in a crisis, build some houses and sort the country out instead of sucking the man vegetables of other countries leaders and blowing untold billions on shit we're probably never going to use.

That's it, I'm done, rant over 👍

Yes, I'm in a filthy mood

Just to poke the bear @LeeM, can you explain this brilliant logic from the Vic Gov't?.

I was at BMW recently checking on status of my now 8 weeks busted X5.  The sales guy was talking up the new X5 50e - not ideal timing when your service guys are not done shafting me. 

But interesting nonetheless.  Sounds like my kind of toe in the EV water - new 50e PHEV has a big battery good for 110km on EV only plus a 3.0 turbo petrol for 360kW overall.  Would work well for me, charge it fully overnight at home each day and drive to work and back every day using no fuel (commute is about 50km round trip so even if they overstate the range, i should shit it in).  The motor is there is i need a 0-100 blast in 5 seconds or for longer journeys.  Sure the battery will be a dead weight not far out of Melbourne on a trip which would drag fuel economy down but that's a couple of times a year and over the lifetime of ownership, economy would surely be way down on a diesel.  Interesting.

Then i discover Gov't levies a ZLEV (Zero and Low Emissions Vehicle) road user tax to offset the fact you are buying little to no fuel and so little to no fuel excise - can't have EV users getting a free ride on roads they didn't pay for says bogan old mate in his V8 'Cruiser.  Currently 2.1c per km for PHEV (2.6c for EV) - assuming 25k kms per annum, that's about $525 a year.  Apparently you have to send VicRoads a photo of your odometer annually so they can send you a bill.  Hmm, so much for gov't wanting us all in EVs.

• Electric vehicles (EVs) and hydrogen vehicles (HEVs) – from 2.5 cents per km to 2.6 cents per km
  • Plug-in hybrid electrical vehicles – from 2.0 cents per km to 2.1 cents per km

Then i also discover VicRoads offer discounted stamp duty for ZLEV.   Let's assume $150k buy price:

• The vehicle is a Low Emission Vehicle  0.042 p => $6,300
  • Market value of the vehicle is over $100,000 up to $150,000 0.07 => $10,500

If i own the car 4 years and 100,000kmm that means I pay $4,200 less stamp duty on the way in but cop say 4 years @ $525 a year in road user tax.  So i am $2,100 better off overall, balancing incentives vs penalties.  WTF?  How does that make any sense? The administration of this nonsense would surely outweigh any benefit?

All i can think is the Gov't weant to have their cake and eat it too.  On the one hand,  when the situation suits they can say "oh, we're green alright, we're giving ZLEV buyers an incentive via reduced stamp duty".  But when the ICE owners crack the shits, they can say "oh no, we slug EV users a road tax so it's fair". 

All seems a bit bloody pointless, giving with one hand and taking with the other.  And a bit of smoke and mirrors.  Who'd have thought.......

PLUG-IN HYBRID DRIVING EXPERIENCE IN THE NEW BMW X5 xDRIVE50e.

• Increased system output with up to 360 kW

• Range now up to 110 km

• Maximum sporty driving experience with acceleration of 0 to 100 km in 4.8 s 

• Twice as much charging capacity with up to 7.4 kW/h

• BMW X5 G05 LCI

Performance 210kW – 360kW
    Engine Type Petrol  Diesel  Plug-in Hybrid

THE NEW X5

THE NEW BMW X5. ARRIVING IN MID-2023.

@DJM Well it is Victoria mate, so it doesn't surprise me at all (sorry)

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed or a few biscuits short in the barrel, yet it's just the pure logic that the government's seem to not be aware of. 

I remember the previous SA government were going to introduce an 'ev tax', and due to the public outrage the current power mongers have deleted that apparently, yet if, or probably when they DO introduce it, there will be those who basically say f..k off and not buy an ev. 

I know 4 or 5 Tesla owners who say they wish they hadn't bought one due to the inconvenience of charging it publicly etc. I'm not sure why they don't just charge them at home every night to save that hassle of having to sit at a charging station for however long is needed, yet one has said they've noticed those public chargers are basically like a trickle charge, so you have to sit there for 29 hours just to get 3% extra charge to get home.

I dunno mate, as I mentioned above, I just don't understand why they're pushing ev's so hard when ultimately the cost of these cars are out of the financial reach of most people, then you have to think about resale/trade in values which I imagine would be well below purchase prices. Then of course the battery life expectancy and how much they cost to replace which I read recently is between $10-30k, so who can afford that when they've probably still got the car on finance? 

THEN lithium mining and all the other bits that go into making the batteries. What are the reserves of them? Going by Google and videos I've watched (whether they're true or not remains to be seen), what it takes to make just one car batteries is incredible, so how long can that be sustained? 

Again, I'm not against ev's, I just can't for the life of me understand why people aren't seeing through all the government and greenie bullshit.

I'm sure I won't be here long enough to see ICE cars banned, yet I'm sure with the government's agendas, they're going to have a good crack at trying to ban them! 

Sorry to burst everyone bubble, but EV's aren't "green". 

If you truly want to be "green", simply, don't buy a new car - drive and maintain the old one you've already got. To take it one step further, drive it as little as possible - use public transport, ride a bicycle, or walk (Yeh, right Hugh's lost his marbles and has gone all Woke I hear you all say!!!!) 

I highly doubt you'll see anyone driving around in a Tesla in 58 years like I currently do in my 912 - it will be very partially recycled but mostly in toxic landfill. Then, when you realise how much passenger cars add up to the overall emissions it's hard to see where the net benefit is, not too mention here in Oz most electricity comes from fossil fuels anyway. 

What a time to be alive. 

38 minutes ago, hugh said:

If you truly want to be "green", simply, don't buy a new car - drive and maintain the old one you've already got. To take it one step further, drive it as little as possible - use public transport, ride a bicycle, or walk (Yeh, right Hugh's lost his marbles and has gone all Woke I hear you all say!!!!) 

I highly doubt you'll see anyone driving around in a Tesla in 58 years like I currently do in my 912 - it will be very partially recycled but mostly in toxic landfill. Then, when you realise how much passenger cars add up to the overall emissions it's hard to see where the net benefit is, not too mention here in Oz most electricity comes from fossil fuels anyway. 

What a time to be alive. 

But I’ve got solar PV so I can charge my EV and be green as Kermit.…..can’t I?

Except for the minor point that my 12kW Solar PV can’t generate enough to entirely run the  house as it is.  So the Solar power will now be diverted to charge my car so I’ll end up drawing more coal fuelled power from the grid to keep the A/C, drinks fridge and pool pumps running (no way I’m turning those off  😁)

doesn’t stop me telling all my friends I essentially drive a solar powered car 🤷‍♂️

the folks in Morwell choking on the black smoke might have a different view.

7 hours ago, hugh said:

What a time to be alive. 

Absolutely this. The greenest thing you can do is never buy a new car again. We still haven't figured out how to recycle the batteries in a meaningful way. And let's not get started on how they mine cobalt and rare earth metals. Nor who controls the supply of it.

This is all a distraction so the real polluters can continue polluting and the voting public thinks we're doing something about emissions. All the  cars and trucks are about 4-7% of emissions total depending on which report you read. Transport is 15% in the maximum and that includes all planes, cargo ships, and cruise liners. The heavy hitters are actually power generation, agriculture (mostly cattle), and construction materials. We're tweaking at the edges of one of these 3 and we have no good solutions for the other two but they make up 75-80% of emissions.

• 1 month later...

Here we go…….👎🏻. Is it just me or does this look very R8.  Brand new car “almost nothing  will carry over from 718”

Sewing machine engine should sound amazing……but I’ll keep my 4RS thanks, even if it beats me off the lights.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43576930/2025-porsche-718-cayman-boxster/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflowFBCD&src=socialflowFBCAD&fbclid=IwAR2H94shgnZPH1AjvyTmlokkK4SELM3psfN1x_0t825B2q14g4GCajApf3U

941B8F87-EF7E-4BDF-9034-A47D15F3AADD.jpeg

Horsepower, acceleration, blah, blah…..what about range and charge time ?

What has happened to Porsches investment in a “new fuel” ?

Will we see a come back of the motels in every small town with signs saying:

“EV Charging at Every Room”

How many days travel to “Nicht Luftwasser” ?

2 hours ago, DJM said:

Here we go…….👎🏻. Is it just me or does this look very R8.  Brand new car “almost nothing  will carry over from 718”

Sewing machine engine should sound amazing……but I’ll keep my 4RS thanks, even if it beats me off the lights.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43576930/2025-porsche-718-cayman-boxster/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflowFBCD&src=socialflowFBCAD&fbclid=IwAR2H94shgnZPH1AjvyTmlokkK4SELM3psfN1x_0t825B2q14g4GCajApf3U

941B8F87-EF7E-4BDF-9034-A47D15F3AADD.jpeg

I imagine that is a mock up right? Probably not that far from the truth though.