Porshe Extended Warranty

Pagey

27 minutes ago, Pagey said:

I have a 2010 987.2 with 100k on the clock and just got an email re extended warranty options.

My question is extended warranty worth the cost?

really all depends on the depth of your pockets and your level of risk.

no different to:

• driving with 3rd party insurance versus comprehensive OR
  • comprehensive with standard excess versus comprehensive and elevated excess 
  • change IMS versus just driving .....etc

only you can really answer this one

I would have thought the older the car the more valuable the warranty will be but it depend on what becomes a wear and tear item. You could argue a gear box failure is wear and tear but I believe it would be covered under the Porsche warranty, but always worth checking the fine print. Like anything you pay the premium just in case that low odd outcome occurs.

I extended the warranty on my Porsche, not so much for the warranty as my car has only done 20,000kms or so, and is very reliable, but because I think it would be very good for re-sale value when and if that time comes. 

On 24/03/2023 at 13:04, P-Kay said:

really all depends on the depth of your pockets and your level of risk.

no different to:

• driving with 3rd party insurance versus comprehensive OR
  • comprehensive with standard excess versus comprehensive and elevated excess 
  • change IMS versus just driving .....etc

only you can really answer this one

The 987.2 does not have a IMS and if its the Base, they very very rarely get bore score.

On 24/03/2023 at 13:04, Pagey said:

My question is extended warranty worth the cost?

On 25/03/2023 at 08:47, donR said:

I extended the warranty on my Porsche, not so much for the warranty as my car has only done 20,000kms or so, and is very reliable, but because I think it would be very good for re-sale value when and if that time comes.

If you have owned the car at any point in time with Porsche warranty previously in place (warranty in your name), then Warranty can be reinstated before sale. 

I don't see it as a value add per se, but without a doubt it adds to the appeal & saleability of your car... I sold my Macan Turbo which at the time was a little shy of 6 years old, it had 3 or so years of manufacturer warranty on it, so for the buyer who was cross shopping, my car is the one that he bought on condition, history and of course warranty, even though he preferred to have a sunroof and my one didn't have it. Peace of mind is important subject to the complexity of the car you are adding warranty to...

Whilst I am aware of the consumer law BS, it is not going to save you when your transfer case shits itself at 10 years old, the Porsche warranty will cover it.