GT3 Cup experience event in QLD

WGA

Attended the GT3 Cup training event yesterday at Queensland Raceway. Very first time in a Cup car so went into it feeling somewhat apprehensive. Luke Youlden was the MC and Chief Instructor for the day. Craig Baird was my instructor and Leigh Geyer was my data engineer. All went to great efforts to make everyone feel comfortable. Craig has a wicked, naughty boy sense of humour so regularly injected some laughs into the day. And analysing the Data with Leigh after each session was great learning experience. 

To my surprise, one you got used to the grip level the car offers, the Cup car turned out to be a far easier thing to drive than I was expecting. Leaning on the car through the fast corners is amazing feeling even though I was nowhere near the limits of the car. Even so, I ended up doing quite a decent lap time of 54.74secs. Absolutely buzzing today and craving for more. Thoroughly, recommended!

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0815.JPG

2 hours ago, WGA said:

Attended the GT3 Cup training event yesterday at Queensland Raceway. Very first time in a Cup car so went into it feeling somewhat apprehensive. Luke Youlden was the MC and Chief Instructor for the day. Craig Baird was my instructor and Leigh Geyer was my data engineer. All went to great efforts to make everyone feel comfortable. Craig has a wicked, naughty boy sense of humour so regularly injected some laughs into the day. And analysing the Data with Leigh after each session was great learning experience. 

To my surprise, one you got used to the grip level the car offers, the Cup car turned out to be a far easier thing to drive than I was expecting. Leaning on the car through the fast corners is amazing feeling even though I was nowhere near the limits of the car. Even so, I ended up doing quite a decent lap time of 54.74secs. Absolutely buzzing today and craving for more. Thoroughly, recommended!

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

If you can get your hands on one the purchase price isn't crazy on these for the performance and safety.  Running costs and service intervals are better than previous gens too.

18 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

If you can get your hands on one the purchase price isn't crazy on these for the performance and safety.  Running costs and service intervals are better than previous gens too.

I would love to...but...I just couldn't deal with the transport and storage issues. And you really need a pit crew to service the car at a track day. Just warming the car up is procedure all in it itself.  I understand that PCM and PCB can provide a package that covers all this - transport, storage, pit crew, etc. Have no clue as to the cost though. 

And if I am honest, I am not that good a driver to get the best out of the car. Whereas drivers like you and Michael would most likely monster the cars and do one justice. I couldn't.

And while maintenance costs are better, the cost of spares is very, very expensive. I was chatting with a team Carrera Cup team owner who was there with one of his drivers and he mentioned that he recently had to source a new engine from Germany after his detonated. He said it cost him $120K just for the engine. And the total running cost for the year was nudging $800K because no one escapes Carrera Cup without having at least 1 incident. Ouch!

7 minutes ago, Peter John said:

Love it! Offered a seat with TekWorks now?

Hah Hah!   I wish. I am tooo old and tooo slow. For reference, a Cup car driver was there practising. His lap times were in the 52s.  And he wasn't driving 10/10ths at all.

Looks like a lot of fun. I’d imagine running a 992 cup for club supersprints/casual track days wouldn’t be that expensive per Km given it’s a young car. Probably only marginally more than road car. 100+ hours is 15,000-20,000 kms before you have to touch the engine. Gearbox service every 30 hours is still a long interval. Tyre and brakes are not cheap, but nor are they for any modern GT car. 

Once you start racing them, especially for sheep stations like in CCA, it’s a totally different story.