Aircon for 85 3.2

drmurugti

I am looking to respruce my aircon system. I have a new compressor (2 years old rebuilt) and in WA it feels like it is not working.

What options do I have?

1. I have heard that they have an electric aircon unit, but have heard different things about it.

2.https://griffiths.com/ac-system-help-introduction/troubleshoot-the-ac-system/

3. Any other options?

Thanks guys!

3 hours ago, sus911 said:

Have a look at Home Built by Geoff on youtube. He's installed one and seems to like it.

"Jeff" installed an electric one, (is that what you meant sus911?) which, for the cash, may be a better option, although you will probably need the bigger alternator which brings the price up, but at least the extra weight is in the front, not the back.

1 hour ago, drmurugti said:

Yes, I refitted AC with the kit which served as an upgrade, was for the 930.  The company has since changed hands.  Get the upgrade kit, not the full kit.  Make sure you get the same compressor so you don't have to change the compressor mount , hose ends or manifolds.  I was caught out by this.  A mate fitted the upgrade kit to his C3 and was happy with it.

Still have some photos that may help if you decide to go this way.

The kit is easy to fit, just take your time.  There was a lot of AC info on PFA before the last upgrade.  It may be here somewhere.  

Don't bother with their fan option, just get one from Autobahn or the like, a lot cheaper.

Before you go spending a lot of money, how long since your system was checked and regassed?  Was the receiver/drier replaced when the compressor was overhauled?

Hope that helps.

Yes, I have the Classic Retrofit kit in my car and it is good. The blower could be stronger, but I believe the new kits have a much more powerful blower. The kit is not cheap, but you can install it to a standard car without drilling any new holes, etc. You do require the bigger alternator to run it, but on the plus side, I don't feel any drop in power when I turn it on.

This is the same kit that Singer and RUF use in their cars. It is still not like modern car A/C, but I have been using it the past few days and it still makes it much more comfortable.

5 hours ago, drmurugti said:

I've used components from this supplier to upgrade standard systems in a '85 and a '88.  Since you already have a standard system I suggest you only buy what you need from Autoware and Griffith.

Happy to help and certainly have some very well informed (hard won?) opinions if you describe what performance you want and the details of the condition of your current system

The Classic Retrofit was originally promoted as a solution to all our problems.   There has been a recent omission that the original evaporator blower wasn't strong enough and they introduced a higher volume upgrade earlier this year.  There is a very good thread on Pelican comparing Mk1 and Mk2.  However Mk2 still seems a disappointment to many.

As you have a standard system already, I think a few prudent improvements to the existing system is a better way to go.

Oz930 is on the ball, there are a couple good AC threads worth searching for.  Don't bother looking at the Pelican ones, far to painful.  Not as bad as the oil threads but close! 

Suggest you:

• Focus on air volume rather than air temperature.  That really means extra underdash vents and an upgraded blower
  • Don't convert to R134a, keep your existing hoses (unless damaged) and use Hychill 30.
  • If you want good performance at low speed or stop/start traffic, you will need extra condensor(s) in the rear wheel well
  • Replace all the heat exchangers as they are likely corroded now and it's inconvenient to replace one or two later.
  • Install a fuse on the front blower motor.  These motors are known to seize and make an impressive mess of the frunk wiring
  • It's no shame to drive a modern car when it is really hot and leave the Carrera at home!

I did a substantial upgrade to my '88 using parts from Griffiths. When complete, I got vent temperatures around 4C. It's a black on black car, so I wanted to make sure it was comfortable. I replaced all hoses, front condenser, evaporator, receiver/dryer, and added another condenser in the rear fender. It was a very involved process, I did all the work myself, but I'm very satisfied with the results. Happy to answer any questions or show it off if you're around Melbourne.

1 minute ago, autojack said:

I did a substantial upgrade to my '88 using parts from Griffiths. When complete, I got vent temperatures around 4C. It's a black on black car, so I wanted to make sure it was comfortable. I replaced all hoses, front condenser, evaporator, receiver/dryer, and added another condenser in the rear fender. It was a very involved process, I did all the work myself, but I'm very satisfied with the results. Happy to answer any questions or show it off if you're around Melbourne.

I am thinking of doing this. I just want the car to be more usable! thank you for this.

15 hours ago, Peter M said:

The Classic Retrofit was originally promoted as a solution to all our problems.   There has been a recent omission that the original evaporator blower wasn't strong enough and they introduced a higher volume upgrade earlier this year.  There is a very good thread on Pelican comparing Mk1 and Mk2.  However Mk2 still seems a disappointment to many.

As you have a standard system already, I think a few prudent improvements to the existing system is a better way to go.

Oz930 is on the ball, there are a couple good AC threads worth searching for.  Don't bother looking at the Pelican ones, far to painful.  Not as bad as the oil threads but close! 

Suggest you:

• Focus on air volume rather than air temperature.  That really means extra underdash vents and an upgraded blower
  • Don't convert to R134a, keep your existing hoses (unless damaged) and use Hychill 30.
  • If you want good performance at low speed or stop/start traffic, you will need extra condensor(s) in the rear wheel well
  • Replace all the heat exchangers as they are likely corroded now and it's inconvenient to replace one or two later.
  • Install a fuse on the front blower motor.  These motors are known to seize and make an impressive mess of the frunk wiring
  • It's no shame to drive a modern car when it is really hot and leave the Carrera at home!

Thank you so much Peter. I looked around the threads here and it seems griffiths vs the autoware kit. I wish someone in WA had a solution.