What’s better - 1976 2.7 or 1979 SC?

On 28/02/2024 at 22:19, Dalai said:

Just buy one and enjoy it.

My 84 has increased in value over the 7 years of ownership, even though it was bought at a peak in prices at the time and they dipped second half of 2017. I wasn't perturbed as I could escape into the hills and enjoy driving my car. If I waited for the bubble to burst (that has been a topic since before buying mine) I'd still be waiting... My wife passed away due to cancer in 2016, so I decided to buy and enjoy the ownership and driving as no one knows what tomorrow brings!

Reality one day chances are those that have lusted over air-cooled cars from the era won't be buying and driving anymore and prices could plummet.  Personally I don't care as I've enjoyed the experience of ownership over these years and it is the one car I'll never sell anyway so the value is irrelevant for me.

So no chance of me getting it back???

ok, my numbers might be slightly off but you get the gist. If you bought an aircooled 7 years ago there were sub $50k cars. I have messages re a $30k 2.7 from late 2016

42 minutes ago, JLD said:

ok, my numbers might be slightly off but you get the gist. If you bought an aircooled 7 years ago there were sub $50k cars. I have messages re a $30k 2.7 from late 2016

Correct, as I paid $50k for my Hong Kong car from Perth 7 years ago...and that was from a flipper, so he made some coin outta me. 

Not a perfect car by far, but I was happy with the price

FYI 69 911E Targa with G50 and 3.2 in it sold at auction over here for $63k last week.  It was advertised as a later car.   Good runner, from deceased estate, was owned by a PCT club member so I had seen it out and about over the years.  Off to a guy / gal named Hancock from Mentone in Vic.  It was listed with a pretty obscure rural auction house so perhaps didn't get picked up by many potential buyers,  may have gone a bit cheap.  

Sorry that I wasn't able to make it known here, but a mate was seriously interested in it, but pulled out at last minute.

On 06/03/2024 at 16:19, JLD said:

To be fair it's easy to not worry about values if you bought an air cooled pre Covid. $50k was a high price back then, now it's $250k is a high price

I wish $50K. I paid $10 under 2* your pre COVID suggestion. The other car I flew to Sydney for was an 86 coupe with motor needing a top end rebuild in its near future that was $89K...

14 hours ago, PhilH said:

So no chance of me getting it back???

You would get first right of refusal given your custodianship and care of the car prior to my ownership. But I'd be selling my house before selling this car if needed, so you might be waiting a while...

9 hours ago, Dalai said:

You would get first right of refusal given your custodianship and care of the car prior to my ownership. But I'd be selling my house before selling this car if needed, so you might be waiting a while...

Well said Martin, you can’t drive a house but you can sleep in a car