What’s better - 1976 2.7 or 1979 SC?

Hi All 

Would love to hear your opinion on what’s a better car for long term value / investment- as well as thoughts on what they’re both like as just ‘cars’ -  excluding MFI cars.

thanks in advance. 

IMHO I’ve always preferred the 2.7 as Porsche didn’t manufacture as many of them which I think helps if you’re looking at it as an investment.

I’ve had a 3.2 Carrera and now have a 2.7S and I’ve never considered buying an SC although a good friend has one and it’s a lovely car.

For me a 2.7 MFI is the one I want in my garage.

2.7s are light and nimble, great to drive. The engine case, like in the 2.7RS, are lighter magnesium and fine if the engine is screwed together properly and engine cooling uprated a touch.

SCs are a heavier but tough and reliable if maintained, alloy engine case is the base of this reliability and factory cooling was better by then. Driving they feel a bit more planted than a narrower 2.7

Back in the day everyone said don't touch a 2.7, go straight for an SC hence 2.7s being way cheaper earlier but going forward a good 2.7 will be similar value to an equal SC, less 2.7s as opposed to a tougher but more numerous SCs.

SC's definitely have a more reliable engine. You definitely don't want an unopened 2.7, but one that has been nicely rebuilt could be a good car.

Ultimately though, when you are talking about around 50 year old cars, it is purely something you need to look at on a case by case basis. I personally think kms mean absolutely nothing (particularly with cars like mine with a 5 digit odometer), condition is everything.

I’ve been lucky enough to drive all 3 of your alternatives listed here. Std 2.7, mfi2.7,3.0.

As everyone is saying. Drive them and you will soon know which one you prefer.

2.7s that are well sorted and have their inherent issues now resolved, are light, nimble and have moderate power.

I own a Carrera 3.0 so am probably biased. But, assuming all things were the same my choice would be the 3.0.

justin

21 hours ago, W18G said:

Thanks very much. Ok so lets say you both cars were restored and it the same condition…which would you choose?

The one whose colour I liked beat. If both common / boring Porsche colours then the one with the non-black interior. 

I have owned my 77 911s 2.7 for around 6 years now and I love it. No issues with the engine whatsoever, but like others have said, it’s important that the right stuff is done at the right time, like thermal reactors removed, upgraded chain tensioners and 11 blade fan. If this is done early, they can be great engines. 

driving wise they definitely feel lighter and more nimble than the wider SC (I’ve driven a few), and more rev-happy. Wouldn’t trade mine for an SC. 

On 26/02/2024 at 22:28, mrar said:

Nobody has fully answered Mr W18G's long term value/investment question.

And he wasn't interested in the 2.7mfi/C3.o cars,

Just 76 cis 2.7 or 79 3lt Sc if you read all the op's blurb.

I can't help him as mine is a 75 and a 78sc.

Regarding both cars, I too as has been suggested just drive them back to back.

Yes fair call.

But I’m  sure this is not the first thread to have gone sideways on a tangent?

Just buy one and enjoy it.

My 84 has increased in value over the 7 years of ownership, even though it was bought at a peak in prices at the time and they dipped second half of 2017. I wasn't perturbed as I could escape into the hills and enjoy driving my car. If I waited for the bubble to burst (that has been a topic since before buying mine) I'd still be waiting... My wife passed away due to cancer in 2016, so I decided to buy and enjoy the ownership and driving as no one knows what tomorrow brings!

Reality one day chances are those that have lusted over air-cooled cars from the era won't be buying and driving anymore and prices could plummet.  Personally I don't care as I've enjoyed the experience of ownership over these years and it is the one car I'll never sell anyway so the value is irrelevant for me.

On 29/02/2024 at 08:19, Dalai said:

Just buy one and enjoy it.

My 84 has increased in value over the 7 years of ownership, even though it was bought at a peak in prices at the time and they dipped second half of 2017. I wasn't perturbed as I could escape into the hills and enjoy driving my car. If I waited for the bubble to burst (that has been a topic since before buying mine) I'd still be waiting... My wife passed away due to cancer in 2016, so I decided to buy and enjoy the ownership and driving as no one knows what tomorrow brings!

Reality one day chances are those that have lusted over air-cooled cars from the era won't be buying and driving anymore and prices could plummet.  Personally I don't care as I've enjoyed the experience of ownership over these years and it is the one car I'll never sell anyway so the value is irrelevant for me.

To be fair it's easy to not worry about values if you bought an air cooled pre Covid. $50k was a high price back then, now it's $250k is a high price

13 minutes ago, JLD said:

To be fair it's easy to not worry about values if you bought an air cooled pre Covid. $50k was a high price back then, now it's $250k is a high price

Maybe an wovr A/C car precovid for close to that sort of dough but your good A/C has always been heavy on the pocket way before covid.

59 minutes ago, JLD said:

Cant say I agree with there being early 911's available at 50k pre Covid. For at least the last 6-8 years prices have been north of 50k for anything drivable. 

6 hours ago, JLD said:

*  typo? 5 years prior pre  Covid or should the 50k be 100k with an asterisk for a non coupe.  Not hard to call that out as BS.  Eg show me the thread posts  on here with 50k aircooled non basket cases from 2018.    If an aircooled was 50k pre covid, I am sure I am not the only one that would of brought one and left it out front on the nature  strip after investing in a kill switch and fuel switch and a decent car cover merely  to do takeway /  milkruns  instead of paying extra  for home deliveries.

The last sub $50k air cooled I can remember was well before the plandemic, and that was a rusty shed mostly in bits. I was offered $80k for my Hong Kong '78 SC just before lockdowns started, so no, they weren't $50k unless you're talking 2016.

Jeez I remember a '69 ex tarmac rally car for $48k in 2011 if you want to go that far back with values. Knew I shoulda got that 20 grand loan 🙄