Painting Brake Callipers

I'm considering painting my brake Callipers red on my SC- I know it may look naff however has anyone here ever done this and do you have a recommendation on paint to use as will need to be high temp tolerant.

You can buy brake paint off the shelf and any parts shop. Though don't cheap out and get the $10 can. Spend up big on a $20 can of the good stuff. You will get a better finish and it will take longer to fade.

The most important thing is to clean them before painting them. Once you have got them nice and clean let them dry and then clean them again. Seeing as you have been to the parts shop to buy the paint you should also grab yourself a can of brake cleaner. It will help with the hard to get off baked on dust. Don't get it in any cuts as it hurts like a B!

While you are doing a bang up job of cleaning the callipers leave the paint can out in the sun to warm up. This will help with can pressure and also help with the flow of paint. 

Thats about the gist of it but any questions you know how to get me.

Foliatec make a kit for painting brakes it includes degreaser, brushes, cloth and paint. I bought the kit and used it to touch up my calipers and it seemed to work well.

The paint is evil stuff though so don't get it on your hands as it is bastard to get off.

Paint them Silver/Grey.

or get them Cad Plated.

Don't paint them red please!!!!

+1 no red calipers!

I used silver/aluminum VHT brake paint. It looked a bit "clean" at first, but after a while the brake dust gave them a nice lived in patina. :o there's that word again.

Go a photo of your patina bits Harvs? Mine has 35 years of maturing - same effect without the over spray?

I've tried to google discs on old Porgas etc etc

Ps I have a surprise for you later this week.

I like the idea of red on your car. It is a standard caliper colour for hot Pcars, as is yellow on later models, so won't look out of place IMO. 

Not sure why everyone is hating on it, as big reds are a common upgrade so you see it a lot. Guess it comes down to what you like

Don't feel so bad D.  I think it's just a case of cringe/fatigue after the spate of copy-cat red calipers after Porsche released the "big reds" in the 80's. or was that the 90's? 

Do a decent job on the red paint and all will be forgiven :rolleyes:

Note to self: Round-house Caver next time we meet up.

Im getting those caliper covers (Brembo) in Pink and putting them on your Boxter when you sleep....they are only $11 for the set after all.

Archived