Thinking of upgrading - GT3 or Turbo?

Looking at 997.1 2006/7/8

They seem to be pretty similar money, which means that the turbo has depreciated more so far

$150k - $170k

Need the back seats for kids, so that cuts out any GT3 with the CS pack

What are people's thoughts re: desirability (given that 80% of my driving is around town) and importantly resale in 2-3 years time.

Currently driving a 997 C2S, so happy with the size and shape etc.

Please no one mention that if i was shopping in the US, i would be buying either car brand new for less money :(

They seem to be pretty similar money, which means that the turbo has depreciated more so far

$150k - $170k

What are people's thoughts re: desirability (given that 80% of my driving is around town) and importantly resale in 2-3 years time.

Please no one mention that if i was shopping in the US, i would be buying either car brand new for less money :(

Here is a Rennlist member who owns a 996TT and test drove a 997 GT3 for 3 hours, at the end of the day he prefers his Turbo.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-turbo-forum/756611-3-hours-driving-a-2011-gt3-today.html

$150k - $170k

no GT3 has back seats.

the GT3 is a much better car than the turbo for the driver.

turbo's are faster in a straightline and more surefooted in the wet but seem to get hit harder at resale time, and have higher insurance premiums (if that matters).

imo can't go wrong with either but i would prefer the GT3.

I was in this predicament, only I'm looking at 996.2's

no GT3 has back seats.

the GT3 is a much better car than the turbo for the driver.

turbo's are faster in a straightline and more surefooted in the wet but seem to get hit harder at resale time, and have higher insurance premiums (if that matters).

imo can't go wrong with either but i would prefer the GT3.

Pretty much all of this ^^

I decided on the GT3, as we have a practical car with 4 seats, id like to do some light track work and its mostly just me and the mrs. as pointed out insurance is substantially higher on the turbo I had priced them both out and got my old man to do the same (he is 60) it's fairly consistent the additional premium.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that I'll be doing a lot of the maintenance so taking that extra level of complexity out of the equation made that decision easier for me.

But it IS a tough call, both are equally as good propositions in my eyes and it's all going to come down to your preference in the end. I think you may go for turbo...

Does your GT3 have 4 seats ? if it does it would have been a special order as they are a standard 2 seater.

No what I meant by that is we can afford to compromise by only having the two seats... We have another car with 4 seats.

There is a GT2 996 in that price range but same issue as GT3 as it is a 2 seater. Not that I could afford or be able to maintain either but twin turbo GT2 would be my choice on that budget ... I am addicted to boost though ;)

There is a GT2 996 in that price range but same issue as GT3 as it is a 2 seater. Not that I could afford or be able to maintain either but twin turbo GT2 would be my choice on that budget ... I am addicted to boost though ;)

Yes have to agree with you there, there is nothing quite like that turbo boost rush.

Still takes my breath away at WOT.

No what I meant by that is we can afford to compromise by only having the two seats... We have another car with 4 seats.

Ah yes read it wrong.

If you are not doing track days or some form of competition go for the Turbo.

If you are going to do the odd track day but like to have the everyday comfy ride, go the Turbo.

If you drive at 100% when you take the car out for a run in the hills and on track go the GT3.

If you don't want some clown in a new V8 to give you a hard time in a straight line go the Turbo.

Turbo time.  :)

Even the most Hardcore enthusiast would tire of a GT3 as an everyday option.

This Arena Red Turbo looks wonderful and as a dual purpose car it offers everything anyone would ever want from a car. The wheels look great for aftermarket items, the seats are a bonus but I am not sure about the carbon package in the interior............cheapens it to my eyes.

If you can chisel a bit off the asking price then it would make a great everyday car as well as weekend looney-tunes warrior as well.

I couldn't drive any of these everyday though..........I would not have a driving license and I'd be too paranoid about parking dents, spoon drains, speedbumps and some twat in a Hulix backing into it in a car park.

I really do like that Arena Red car though, its very striking!!

my old man has daily driven one for the past 6 years and used it for interstate trips.. i think people have a perception that they are more hardcore than they really are.

in truth unless you spec a clubsport option they are a wonderful compromise of track and street and equally at home on both.

it's a scalpel vs a sledgehammer scenario, come sdown to what you prefer.

i like uninterrupted steering feel and naturally aspirated nature of the GT3, some might prefer the big hp, safety net and wet weather traction of the turbo.

my old man has daily driven one for the past 6 years and used it for interstate trips.. i think people have a perception that they are more hardcore than they really are.

in truth unless you spec a clubsport option they are a wonderful compromise of track and street and equally at home on both.

it's a scalpel vs a sledgehammer scenario, come sdown to what you prefer.

i like uninterrupted steering feel and naturally aspirated nature of the GT3, some might prefer the big hp, safety net and wet weather traction of the turbo.

GT3 for a DD. nice. I like the sound of your old man....................My Dad drives a Hyundai!

My feeling is that how can you enjoy either car on our severely over Governed roads...however, disregarding this omnipresent nightmare, it sounds like you really want some retail therapy (which I have no problem with) rather than need either car. Yeah yeah, I know none of us need a Porsche but if you're not going to the track and this is a DDriver why do you need to upgrade at all? Of course none of my questions matter. Do what your heart/brain/wallet/wife decides. You'd be happy with either one I suspect. 

My feeling is that how can you enjoy either car on our severely over Governed roads...however, disregarding this omnipresent nightmare, it sounds like you really want some retail therapy (which I have no problem with) rather than need either car. Yeah yeah, I know none of us need a Porsche but if you're not going to the track and this is a DDriver why do you need to upgrade at all? Of course none of my questions matter. Do what your heart/brain/wallet/wife decides. You'd be happy with either one I suspect. 

No need to upgrade at all, the 911 i have already is fantastic. I just find that i am always plotting my next car.... 

I do want a Turbo and a GT3 though!

This Arena Red Turbo looks wonderful and as a dual purpose car it offers everything anyone would ever want from a car. The wheels look great for aftermarket items, the seats are a bonus but I am not sure about the carbon package in the interior............cheapens it to my eyes.

If you can chisel a bit off the asking price then it would make a great everyday car as well as weekend looney-tunes warrior as well.

I couldn't drive any of these everyday though..........I would not have a driving license and I'd be too paranoid about parking dents, spoon drains, speedbumps and some twat in a Hulix backing into it in a car park.

I really do like that Arena Red car though, its very striking!!

I agree on the interior carbon, especially the steering wheel (looks absolutely horrible - and if i bought it, it would be changed asap to an alcantara GT2 wheel from suncoast)

Archived