I NEED to do a drivers course - recommendations and advice needed

I'm just gonna be honest here - the Boxster scares me a bit! That's the first car i have owned that has too. I'm finding myself in the odd predicament where the car behaves a certain way and I'm not sure why its done what it's done, how to correct it if it gets worse. I want to get the most out of my ownership of this car, learn to enjoy it and be a better driver.

So what courses would you guys recommend in Melbourne? I want to learn the lingo and experience it so I fully understand what it all means.

My car does not have the correct rated tyres on it. I'm not sure what effect that would have on some of the handling quirks I'm experiencing. For eg in warn areas on roads I'm experiencing what feels like aqua planing where the car pulls a bit from side to side. Similar feeling to driving on Tram tracks. Today I turned left onto the Nepean Hwy from North Road. Big sweeping bend, 4 lanes of traffic. I gave the car a push and it wanted to go sideways. The little light popped up in the dash as the car lost some traction, I slowly backed off the throttle and she straightened up, off I went! I don't feel like I drove any differently today than I would have in any of my previous cars. I think that's what has made me go erm what the?

So I'm not sure what's what - crazy woman driver (only I can say that) dodgy tyres, a suspension issue??

see if your insurance company runs driving courses, I know AAMI does but i'm not sure about the other insurers.

maybe try the Porsche driving experience?

Or join the Porsche club and go to one of their track days, and see if you can find an instructor within the club to help you out?

Or even just head along to a skidpan day?

http://www.driverdynamics.com/pages/defensivedriving.php#

Or these guys http://www.murcotts.edu.au/

I did my CAMS licence with Murcotts many years ago.

I would look at driverdynamics first as they also run great track days at Sandown.

They also have some great instructors that race cars at the top level.  :)

What tyres do you have on it Amanda ?

Thanks guys, I'll check out your recommendations.

Vas - it's got Yokohama Advan Sports on it. When Porsche did the PPI they said they aren't the correct rating. So I thought I'd get some life out of them then upgrade them.

+1 Murcotts

trhat is where I intend to do a course.

If your tyres are a little shabby due to age and wear you will have less grip and this is most evident when accelerating and turning, as it places higher loads on the tyres, so what happened was you broke traction from exceeding tyres grip and traction control kicked in(thats the flashing light) to make sure you didnt get to out of shape. I have great tyres on my car but can sometimes break traction when I get on boost whiile turning, and in the wet well lets just say I need to stay off boost when turning always :).

First step would be look at some decent rubber and then book in for a drivers course. I wouldn't do the course till you have the new tyres, as car will behave differently when you have them

Probably wrong tyres and or alignment is out.

I had the same problem with my car but when l

changed tyres with alignment it totally transformed

my car, it now handles like a kart (well sort of)

l'd also check your tyre pressure.

Ok thanks Bruce. Well I'll just have to be more cautious in the meantime. The drive defensive course is just $150. Be a good starting point.

Bruce you can probably guess my little blip happened after I left you! Otherwise we would have been discussing this earlier! In fact, I'd have asked if you had time for a little drive!

Probably wrong tyres and or alignment is out.

I had the same problem with my car but when l

changed tyres with alignment it totally transformed

my car, it now handles like a kart (well sort of)

Would the alignment fix the funny aqua plain affect I described too?

Looks like I'll be buying tyres sooner than later!

What tyres did you buy Jim?

Would the alignment fix the funny aqua plain affect I described too?

Looks like I'll be buying tyres sooner than later!

What tyres did you buy Jim?

michellin pilot sport 2, shop around as they really vary

in price.

Thanks guys, I'll check out your recommendations.

Vas - it's got Yokohama Advan Sports on it. When Porsche did the PPI they said they aren't the correct rating. So I thought I'd get some life out of them then upgrade them.

Sounds like the perfect tyre to get to know your car in a 'experimental' kinda way. I'm sure you smiled a bit (after you let out a little swear).

Sounds like the perfect tyre to get to know your car in a 'experimental' kinda way. I'm sure you smiled a bit (after you let out a little swear).

I totally did! But them the 'oh crap, what ifs' started! And I realised that the situation could go bad very quickly!

The cheapest thing for me to do first is a course like the one above for $150 odd, pick up some basics and then look towards spending more coin on a more thorough course. Hopefully then I can get even more out of it as I'll have a better skill set to start with.

Must say the P courses at Sandown or P Island sound FUN!

Hi Amanda, it sounds like your tyres have just got beyond the point of grip, be it, due to low tread or they have just got old and hard! 

My suggestion for tyres is the Bridgestone RE002's I have fitted them to manyPorsches and have them on the BMW. They are a great tyre that work in all conditions, they are quite and wear well.  

As far as driving courses go, Murcotts are the oldest Advanced Driving school in the country, been around since the 70's. They have always proven to be consistant and have good , well qualified instructors!

Just my 2 bobs worth!

Tyres are probably the most important *upgrade* you can make. First thing I did to mine was to get some decent tyres on her. She came with different brands on front and back, and front tyres were the larger size meant for the back(squared off instead of staggered). If I pushed the car around a corner, the front end would push(understeer) badly.

I fitted the correct size Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and the car was transformed. I also got nitrogen in the tyres, as opposed to air, as it means you only need to get it checked every few months and it is basically unaffected by tyre temperature(pressure doesn't increase with heat of tyre).

If you like the car now, wait till you get some decent rubber on her lol

Thanks guys. The tyres thing makes a lot of sense. I've no idea how old they are either.

There is a code stamp on the tyre stating date of manufacture, it will have the week and then year.

for eg; 32/08 meaning manufactured in 32nd week in 2008

Speak to Caver as he has a Boxter and also did drive day yesterday so he should have fresh views. Alternatively you can drive a car with a locker as nothing will sharpen your reflexes quicker (I'm being sarcastic as the set up is ridiculous - I've got plenty of stories of my old car flipping into a sudden 180 as boost suddenly came on in the wet) or come to Rennsport tomorrow as they are offering free very short sessions on the skid pan in a Cayman and 991. I know SteveF was lining up for it too.

Seriously though have a word with Caveman.

There is a code stamp on the tyre stating date of manufacture, it will have the week and then year.

for eg; 32/08 meaning manufactured in 32nd week in 2008

49th week 2010! In 2010 the car had 35,000km on it. It now has 49,000 on the clock.

Thanks learn something new here everyday :)

Doish, I'll email the cave man on Monday :) see what words of wisdom he has for me

The Advan Sport are a very reasonable tyre. The fact they do not meet the Porsche rating of 2million ml/hr is irrelevant.<br /><br />They may be hard, worn, suspension could be out, alignment. and eleventy billion other things. (Thank you Uncle)

Amanda,

I can recomend the Porsche driving courses, yes they are a little expensive but these guys teach you about driving technique & specifically how a Porsche reacts to your driving input, how a porsche reacts under emergency braking, cornering characteristics etc. your car will behave differently to anything else you have driven & they require a different understanding to get the best. The courses are held on a track so there is plenty of room if you get a little out of shape. Caver was at Rennsport today & he was saying how much he enjoyed the course, maybe give him a call.

Amanda if your tyres are in good shape they should be OK.

Always put the best tyre you can on your Porsche and put plenty of air in them.

40psi is what you want for the best performance out of a road tyre.

Not just on track but for every day driving, 40psi.

The car has just passed a PPI with Porsche in Paramatta and a RWC with Brighton Porsche. So my tyres are roadworthy at least and have plenty of tread. As far as suspension goes I can't imagine anything is wrong there either. If so, I'll be mighty annoyed! I paid for a PPI for that very reason.

Maybe I start with an alignment? I saw Niko recommend a place in Rowville that looks after Porsches. I can get that done, explain what I am experiencing and get their expert advice. They will be able to tell me if my tyres are dodgy.

This could all be me too, being a total dope! Lets not rule that out either.

God I love this car!! Love it!

Amanda,

Vas it right, a minimumum of 36lbs in the tyres depending on the driving style!  

It is always better to have too much pressure than too little!

The higher the pressure the more stable the tyre is on the rim, and the less likely for it to wear prematurely or un evenly!

The more stable the tyre is, the more stable the car is.

Try it some time, drop the pressure radically by say 20lbs from what you usually use and drive it. You will notice a much more soft and supple ride, but very noticable difference in feel and steering response. Suddenly your car will turn into a bowl of jelly with jelly like tendancies. It will be wallowing around on the tyres! 

I'd agree with Mike & Vas to a point. Rule of thumb would be to go 5 psi over the recommended pressure on your tyre placard for 'spirited' driving. Keep in mind that the springs and dampers are specified to work with a particular tyre pressure as a system. Going too high with the tyres could upset the balance.

The contact patch can also be affected by incorrect pressure resulting in uneven wear.

Perhaps start with the standard pressures and adjust from there to suit.

Archived