Porsche Brand Ambassador: Maria Sharapova

D-banger

And I thought the "Code Of Conduct" had an issue with beautiful women draped over cars!!!!!!!!!

Looks like this one's going to be an exception......................

Ugh, I can't stand her.  Hit the ball without having an orgasm, please.

No doubt to be used to move more Cayennes to cashed up emerging nations.

What was wrong with Walter Rohrl?  Nothing, that's what.

Amanda - as a woman,  what are your feelings re this sexist advertising?

Would you rather a fella was draped over the bonnet?

Anyone who buys a Porsche based on Ms Shazza's presence is  :wub:

But then again, sex sells. The corporate marketers should be ashamed of their moisturised selves for falling for this stereotypical stuff, and Ms Shazza doesn't really need to prostitute herself for a few extra bucks? As for desecrating those old race cars...

Sorry lads, it's all a bit old hat.

I disagree she probably agreed to do it on the notion of prestige for her own brand. I don't believe having her draped over the car will coax anyone into buying one however will enhance brand awareness... It's got us all talking about it.

Same way Pat Rafter is the ambassador for Bonds - no one really wants to buy a set after seeing Pat however we are all more aware of the product of late having his honest self in the advertising as opposed to them just flogging a set if undies ... Will go largely unnoticed.

Amanda - as a woman,  what are your feelings re this sexist advertising?

Would you rather a fella was draped over the bonnet?

Anyone who buys a Porsche based on Ms Shazza's presence is  :wub:

But then again, sex sells. The corporate marketers should be ashamed of their moisturised selves for falling for this stereotypical stuff, and Ms Shazza doesn't really need to prostitute herself for a few extra bucks? As for desecrating those old race cars...

Sorry lads, it's all a bit old hat.

I don't want to see anyone 'draped' over a car full stop! I think the first two images above are quite nice, simply because they have not sexualised Sharapova in them. She's dressed in a lovely feminine dress with heels. And in that last shot she's definitely very awkwardly posing there, she's looking at another camera tho... seems this one is a snapshot almost.

We do live in an incredibly overly sexualised world and quite frankly I get sick of it. I feel bad for parents of young children these days. Must be hard to maintain innocence in kids today with the images in media. And let's not forget all the predators out there. Oooops I'm going off on a tangent here!!

I'd like to think Sharapova IS a bit of a car fan and actually drives a 911 with spirit and passion when she can but somehow I doubt it. I'm sure it's all about the dollars for her and increasing brand Sharapova.

I'm sure they could have found better ambassadors tho? Like maybe people who actually own Porsches (not prizes)

I really don't think this is a pitch in using her as a sexual symbol.

She is a competitive and successful, and certainly attractive, athlete.

Maybe a successful woman who the tennis moms (note the spelling) can relate to.

Now if I had it my shallow and sexist way...........it would have been Kournakova!!!!!!

But that would miss the target market.

The Porsche press release says...

For Porsche, the choice of Maria Sharapova as brand ambassador extends its long-term commitment to women´s tennis. The company sponsors the German women's national team, which competes as the Porsche Team Germany in the Fed Cup, and the Porsche Talent Team Germany, which supports promising young players. "We are fully committed to these activities for a long term. And with Maria Sharapova, we are now extending our involvement in women's tennis globally", Mueller added.

And MS did win the Porsche GP 2012 and 2013.

http://blogs.thenational.ae/sport/kit-bag/car-to-nowhere-on-brand-strategy-roadmap

Having amassed more than US$25 million (Dh91.8m) in prize money during her career and an estimated $22m last year alone in endorsements, the last thing Maria Sharapova needs is for somebody to gift her a new Porsche. Actually, that is not quite true. The last thing she needs is for somebody to gift her another new Porsche.

And yet that is exactly what she was awarded on Sunday evening after she successfully defended her Stuttgart title against Li Na. It makes you wonder what she does with such a prize: Sell it? Give it to a friend? Keep it in a glass garage alongside all her other cars?

So the tournament is the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix and they need to market their brand, but surely there is a better way to do so than to give a multi-millionaire a car that they do not need? She was, after all, given $125,000 for winning the tournament.

Perhaps she will get it insured and drive it to Paris next month; a relaxing road trip ahead of the French Open. However Sharapova gets to France, she will undoubtedly now arrive as favourite.

She has won 16 consecutive matches on clay and looks as indomitable as ever. Li, the 2011 French Open champion, hoped for a better result, but her Russian opponent outclassed her to take a second title of the year.

The result also removed a problem for Porsche. Li, sponsored by Mercedes, would have been contractually forbidden from taking part in the presentation.

Time to rethink that marketing strategy, guys.

Archived