New to the forum? Start here...

• 1 month later...

A pair. ^_^ (they're happier that way, someone else to talk to on those wet days in the garage...) ;)

Kerry

Hi Kerry

I saw you in the morning when I go to work. Your Porsche looks good man!

I was following you from North Road all the way to St Kilda.

Gary

Hi my name's Kevin, 24 years old, from holland and a BIG car enthousiast. I'm currently working here as a Mechanical/Structural Engineer and staying with my girlfriend at family in Lower Chittering. Haven't got a Porsche but do really like the older 911's with the big wing on the back!

You might ask yourself what I'm doing on a Porsche forum if I haven't got a Porsche!? Well I'm not actually here for myself, I'm here for my uncle who is a BIG Porsche fan and intends buying an older model 911 for himself in the future when he has finished his house.

The reason I'm here is because his birthday is coming up and as I'm not that often around for his birthday (as I live in holland) I want to give him something special. I'm trying to see if I can rent a Porsche 911 somewhere here in Perth just for a couple of hours so my uncle can experience how it's like driving an 911.

Up till now I haven't been able to find a company in Perth that will rent 911's only boxsters..

Therefore I was hoping if someone on the forum could tell me where I can rent one OR if someone on the forum wants to help me out with his 911. I can understand if you don't want my uncle to drive your car, even if your sitting next to him, so otherwise picking him up and taking him for a drive would be an option as well.

Offcourse I will pay for all fuel including travelling from and to my uncle's place plus for your time.

This all would have to happen on the 2nd of october.

Let me know if you can help me out with this one it would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin

Hi my name's Kevin, 24 years old, from holland and a BIG car enthousiast. I'm currently working here as a Mechanical/Structural Engineer and staying with my girlfriend at family in Lower Chittering. Haven't got a Porsche but do really like the older 911's with the big wing on the back!

You might ask yourself what I'm doing on a Porsche forum if I haven't got a Porsche!? Well I'm not actually here for myself, I'm here for my uncle who is a BIG Porsche fan and intends buying an older model 911 for himself in the future when he has finished his house.

The reason I'm here is because his birthday is coming up and as I'm not that often around for his birthday (as I live in holland) I want to give him something special. I'm trying to see if I can rent a Porsche 911 somewhere here in Perth just for a couple of hours so my uncle can experience how it's like driving an 911.

Up till now I haven't been able to find a company in Perth that will rent 911's only boxsters..

Therefore I was hoping if someone on the forum could tell me where I can rent one OR if someone on the forum wants to help me out with his 911. I can understand if you don't want my uncle to drive your car, even if your sitting next to him, so otherwise picking him up and taking him for a drive would be an option as well.

Offcourse I will pay for all fuel including travelling from and to my uncle's place plus for your time.

This all would have to happen on the 2nd of october.

Let me know if you can help me out with this one it would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin

Dear Kevin

I think your best bet is fly your uncle down to Melbourne or Sydney to hire one for the weekend or a day. it range from around $500 per day for a 996 cab to $950 per day for a 997 cab Turbo. The problem is once drive once, your uncle will not like any other car but need to have one Porsche.

Porsche rental in Melbourne

Or you can go in to the Porsche showroom and test drive one. they may let you take one for overnight if you look very serious to buy one.

Porsche is like a woman, no one really want someone else to muck around or touch their woman, don't you? Good luck.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, looking to buy my first Porsche 911. Im looking at a 1990 911 Carrera 2 964 Cabriolet, he wants $35,000 he is negoitable on the price.

It has a 3.6L Air cooled engine, 146,000 KMS. It seems to be well looked after.

Is there anything I should be looking for when I inspect the car?

What do you guys like and dis-like about this model?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Glen

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, looking to buy my first Porsche 911. Im looking at a 1990 911 Carrera 2 964 Cabriolet, he wants $35,000 he is negoitable on the price.

Cheers

Glen

Hi Glen

My very own point of view is that a 964 is likely to represent good value - they seem to fall into a dip between the 3.2 and the 993. I'm not sure how long that dip will last before 964's end up being bought up to "correct" levels. Although as Margaret Thatcher once said "You can't argue with the market!".

Porsches are more expensive to maintain and repair than more ordinary cars. For that reason, you should seriously consider a pre-purchase inspection by somebody who really knows the cars inside out. It may seem expensive, but could save you a great deal of money in the long run.

Good luck!

James

Thanks James, I will definatelty be getting a check done on the Porsche before I buy it.

Can anyone recommend someone to do the check, thats in Melbourne?

Red - There will be lots of pics, Ive wanted a 911 since I was a kid. Ive had plenty of model Porsches, now its time for a real one.

One concern I had, I thought the price was a bit cheap...

The best piece of advise you can get about buying older 911s (especially your first) is always the same... work out the top end of your budget, and then buy the youngest 911 you can get for it. Bargains more often than not come with "baggage", and although all cars "of a certain age" do so, the younger they are, the less they have been fiddled with! (NO Andrew! No room for analogies here! <_<:rolleyes::lol::P )

Kerry

The best piece of advise you can get about buying older 911s (especially your first) is always the same... work out the top end of your budget, and then buy the youngest best 911 you can get for it. ...

Edited for accuracy.

With cars (as with ladies) of a certain age, condition trumps all else and younger is not always necessarily better. Look at condition, and also look at what work has been carried out recently.

(Avoids dubious, innuendo-laden terms such as 'top end refresh', 'rebore' and any references to upholstery, bodywork or suspension.)

Condition aside, I actually recommend older.

Considerably more basic, with less fuss involved, less plump upholstery, and usually noisier too. You get inside, do your damnedest to get the result you want and have to work hard to do it! No artificial flattery, no compensation for any inadequacies you may have: any lack of expertise on your part is likely to end with at least a rebuke, and at worst a severe telling off.

We are talking 911's still, aren't we?

The best piece of advise you can get about buying older 911s (especially your first) is always the same... work out the top end of your budget, and then buy the youngest 911 you can get for it.

Kerry

"youngest" !!!

Some of the older ones are now more expensive then the younger ones.

(And i'm talking 911's ;):D )

Hi Guys,

Cheers

Glen

Welome to the forum Glen.

As per the other comments, buy the best of the lineage you can afford, leaving enough n your pocket for any little surprises.

Hey Tito,

Keep a few $k up ya sleeve to do all those things that will emerge as soon as it lands in your driveway, tyres & service come to mind but I'm sure you will find stuff that needs to be done.

Hard to not let yr heart rule yr head, but enjoy the trip - soak it up!

Best of..

rEd

Thanks everyone. I would love to buy an 88 Carrera, but they are just slightly out of my price bracket, my gf has set my price bracket too...lol

When I saw the car Im looking at, its definately in my price range and seems to be well looked after.

Im probably a few weeks off buying yet, just brought a new house today. All my friends are trying to talk me out of it, saying there too exspensive to fix etc, but I believe thats just part of owning a Porsche I guess.

I will keep you guys updated.

Cheers,

Glen

Hello Everyone !

My name is Wen and I am new to the porsche community !

I had a 987 Boxster S in the past which I never got to enjoy before I sold it !! :(

I am going to pick up my new toy soon 2007 Cayenne Turbo so hopefully this time I will keep it a bit longer !!

cant wait !

wen

Hi guys,

I'm Mike from Brisbane a new old Porsche owner and have only just discovered this forum,

I've had my 911 hotrod cabriolet for a little over a year now and have just taken it off the road for a 3.4 upgrade.

I live in Brisbane and would really appreciate any info I can get in regards to local machinists, parts suppliers etc.

Also any advice as far as what I have planned would help immensely.

65776_466894120867_693025867_6100958_5423805_n.jpg162858_466894145867_693025867_6100959_2790426_n.jpg

So the plan to date is as follows:

• JE Pistons 98mm 10.5:1 CR
  • Nickies Cylinders 98mm
  • Crankshaft - magnaflux, micro polish, cross drilled & balanced
  • ARP Rod Bolt Set
  • ARP Cylinder Head Stud Kit

• Twin plugging the heads
  • Port and polish
  • High Performance Valve Spring Set with Titanium Retainers ??? (Not sure if necessary)
  • Phosphorus bronze Valve Guides
  • And general cylinder head refurb

• Cams ???

• Standard Motronic injection system (for now but would like ITB's down the track)
  • Twin plug spark distribution system ???
  • Steve Wong chip

• SSI Heat Exchangers (not sure if SSI will breath good enough or go for something like Bursch Headers 1 - 3/4")
  • M&K Exhaust Stainless Steel Muffler

• 3 weeks later...

hey everyone im Oskar im 19 and inbetween cars at the moment having just sold my 1997 MGF. i love my sports cars and mid/rear engine so i want to stick with them but i need more power also i dont have a massive budget. so i have been looking at getting a 2000 porche boxster but before i buy just wanted to get some info from people that know what they are talking about. i just wanted to know is it hard to get parts and are there alot of after market parts available. im a first year apprentice pannel beater so im very car minded. been able to mod the car is probably one of my biggest conserns.