New to the forum? Start here...

Buy the best condition,latest model Boxster, with regular servicing that you can afford. Replacement parts are not cheap and the Boxster is a modern car, so in my opinion you'd be better to find an earlier 911 to progressively restore, especially on a limited budget. ie they are easier to work on yourself.

Cheers

Paul M

thanks for the advice. id love to get an older 911 but i am still on my P's so i can not drive any turbo charged cars and anything over 200kw.

i have been looking at this car http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-boxster-1997-12047436?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=1&eapi=2&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294963765%204294963764%20900&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,25000~1|Year:Min,2003&sort=default and also a 2001 2,7L model

Hi Oskar

Paul's advice is good for a whole bunch of reasons. And the 200kW limit will not be a concern - even in the 3.2 litre Carrera of 1984-1989, power output was around 170kW. Nowadays hot hatches exceed that, but in the 1980's cars were much lighter than they are now. (They had to be, with the weight of big hair, red braces, Filofaxes and shoulder pads that they had to cart around.)

The earlier cars have a rawness and a directness about them that is a large part of their charm, but is not to everybody's tastes.

Some more stuff to consider: from around the mid-70's Porsche bodies were galvanised, which improved their resistance to rust tremendously. Aircooled Porsches have held their value way better than just about anything else with wheels. So there's another two plus point for aircooled cars.

Yes, there are places that sell aftermarket parts - I should know; I am one.

James

Hi all,

This is a very belated introduction.

I've been hanging around here for a little while, throwing my 2 cents in now and again, but havent formally made the intro as I was really waiting to own the dream first.

Well as some may know from my other posts, I've been actively on the hunt for a 993 and the dream finally became reality over the weekend.

My son and I flew up to Sydney on Saturday morning and picked up the new mistress addition and did the road trip back to Melbourne that day!

We had a great day. I don't think I stopped smiling all the way back. To top it off I've hit the remote to open the garage and my family and my best mate's family had filled it with streamers and balloons.

So let the games begin. About to order a Fister Stage-3 exhaust, new discs and pads all round, new tyres on Saturday and contemplating suspension.

Hope to catch up with some of the Melbourne guys on a SMT.

In the meantime here are some pics.

IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

Theo

Good on you Theo and congratulations. car looks awesome, I really like white. What colour is the interior?

Sounds like you are getting straight into it with the mods. The Fister Stage 3 sounds awesome based on Steve Porter's car so I think you will be very happy with that mod.

Looking forward to meeting you and seeing the car at our next SMT!

Cheers

Chris

.......What colour is the interior?...............The Fister Stage 3 sounds awesome based on Steve Porter's car so I think you will be very happy with that mod.

Thanks for the kind words Chris. Interior is black.......love it.

The Fisters by all accounts are amazing. Can't wait!

Hi Toto,

Nice set of wheels.

Was "mistress addition" mean to be "mistress addiction" ??

<_<

Cheers

rEd

"Addiction" is much more appropriate!

Hi Theo,

Welcome to the Porche Addiction/Disease. :wacko:

You car looks great in white :) ...can't beat the curves of a 993. I had the pleasure of driving a 993 C4S around the Lorne/Apollo Bay area and the AWD just stuck to the road and made it very easy to drive.

Have fun,

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I believe I should introduce myself as have been viewing this forum for some time.

Finally bought myself a 911SC in Nov last year and have loved every moment driving it since. It's a daily driven, bare metal resprayed English import and save for the front seats which ive recovered and as of last weekend a fixed heater ( just in time for winter), is essentially stock and is as is from the previous owner.

I do have a question, does anyone have advice on the most efficient way to improve the exhaust note? Not looking for hp gains or header mods etc just a throatier idle and note through the rev range. Any advice on if I should just change the rear muffler and...or just the side/rear one or both will hend tremendously. I rang a couple of exhaust shops it sounds like they have not done this before hence believe someone who has done thisnthemselves would have the best advice.

I look forward to the next drive day and meeting a few of you.

DB

Hi DB,

There will be multiple opinions on this topic, but my 20c worth is buy some SSI Heat Exchangers from the UK or Pelican Parts at a good exchange rate, and then get your mechanic to fit them. Along with a new sporty Dansk exhaust (a little more tame than the 2 in, 2out below), this gives the raspy, throaty, "tinny", crackle that we all love.

But hey, let the debate begin!

;)

Kerry

• 1 month later...
Guest Nick987

Hi All,

I stumbled across this great forum looking for coil over/suspension options/upgrades for my 'new' 987 S.

Having read some posts and checking out your bunch of 'usual suspects', I must say, I want in if the feeling is mutual...

I bought my 'replacement' 987 S 2 months ago. It replaced the love of my life, my first ever Porsche, the car I would own one day from when I was a kid...(I have wanted a Porsche 930 from when I was 12 - to this day the way the chassis seems to leave my body suspended in mid air as it blasts from under you is my benchmark for 'whoa!') until the Boxster was unveiled in '96 (?) or '97 (sorry guys, but there is something about a mid engine layout that 'just' trumps my love of the 930) anyway...

The car I finally procured last April after jumping all of life's prerequisite hurdles to obtain 'treasurer' approval...

986.jpg

A 2004 Boxster S with about 54k kms on the clock.

I drove that car almost every day. Did the Apollo Bay run, Dandenongs, Warnambool along the coast, Stage 1 and 2 PCA Advanced Driver Training at Philip Island etc etc

986stg1.jpg

Until that fateful night of the 17th of Feb, parked it on Kavanagh St South Bank to go to Vlado's for a steak with my mate and whamo, coming down to head off home about 3am, a white Honda Jazz is parked in my spot... my beautiful baby gone. Some c**t/s stolen her...

I couldn't go 2 weeks without a Porsche in my life (something about not being able to ever go back?), rented a convertible Audi A5, A6, nup, couldn't do it...so went out and bought my replacement, best I could find at the time...

987CarSalesAd.jpg

At least I got a little 'victim's of crime' compensation...

987ks.jpg

Yep! the previous owner was kind enough to wash it, polish it lovingly, and often, and cover the depreciation for me...

I picked it up with the car having just had its second service!

Here she is in all her glory...

987.jpg

So I have just completed the Stage 3 training with her (24th May Philip Island)...

987stg3.jpg

And have been exploring the twisty stuff around Warburton (about a month ago)...

(eg Western ring rd, northern ring road, greeneborough hwy diamond creek road kareingal drv sherbojrne rd bridge st main road main road Ethan, main rd research, to kangaroo ground then eltham rd to Yarra glen or Henley rd and skyline road to Yarra glen then c726 to healesville then get to warburton

Warburton woods point road c511 to jamieson then Mansfield woods point rd then eildon Jamison rd b340 back to eildon then maroondah hwy to healesville via narbethong - This usually gets me in the vicinity of fantastic, windy forest roads) and completed a sweep to Mt Donna Buang 2 weekends ago - and a WILD drive up and back)...

So I am really keen to share and enjoy.

You guys have some great drives posted here, I would love to join in, and I have some ideas also if you are interested...

OH and if anyone can help with some coil over info, well that would be just swell!

Cheers and regards,

Niko.

Oh wait, you already have one of those, Nick will be fine.

PS And if anyone would like to read about the 4 month saga completing the claim with Shannon's, let me know, I am keen to 'unload'. Hint: you don't want to make a claim for theft...EVER.

Thank you.

I fixed the broken image links also...

At least, I think I did.

Cheers.

Yes they are working now, nice boxster! It looks factory fresh :) I was considering a Cayman for my first P-car but found the 964 turbo I had been lusting over ever since I saw Bad Boys all those years ago. I did enjoy driving the Cayman though.

Guest Nick987

I know how you feel! 964T the toughest looking Porsche IMO.

Will never forget that feeling in the lower back as they accelerate away from under you.

You scored yourself a bad boy there yourself. Seriously nice.

Even though I have wanted a T forever, I felt that it wouldnt be right using it as a daily driver, given how much I revere them and couldnt live with myself putting on daily kms. And really wanted a P as a daily driver and really fell in love with the Boxster S concept.

Seriously considered a Cayman S, but love the open top vibe. Having said that, have had a secret crush on the Cayman R and jockeying for an openning in the garage and budget. Would mean the treasurer would have to park hers on the street so not an easy excercise to arrange...

Have you had a chance to go for a squirt around a track with yours?

If I needed it to be a daily driver I would have gone the Cayman. I have had two convertibles before and although I liked them, I was looking for something more track focused. But no track action yet, I have only had the car just over a week :D . The engine needs a good tune and service first.

Good to have you aboard Nick. Nice looking Boxster.

Great group of guys on this forum. Us Melbourne owners occasionally catch up and go for a squirt.

A couple of us live in the northern suburbs so next time your shooting down the Greensborough hwy throw out a post.

Thanks Theo.

Is there anything on the radar in the next few weekends?

Nothing official as such, but when I get the chance (depending on kid's footy) I like to do an early Sunday drive up through Hurstbridge/St Andrews to Kinglake. Toasted sandwich and a coffee at the bakery and then back again. Some great bends and hairpins perfectly suited to a Porka. The limits about 60 through the twisties, but the bends are signed at 20-25!!!!!!!!!

Just need to be careful that the lycra brigade aren't doing a steep descent run between Kinglake and St Andrews!

Will keep things posted.