New to the forum? Start here...

The build factory is included in the Porsche VIN (as it is for other manufacturers).

F'rinstance this car: WP0ZZZ99Z4S681422

Was built in Stuttgart.

Other values you might see would be:

L - Leipzig

N - Neckarsulm

P - Pfaffenhausen or

U - Uusikaupunki (Finland)

Personally I suspect that the only reason cars are built in Finland is 'cause Uusikaupunki is fun to say.

The first character, the 'W', identifies the country of manufacture code as West Germany, or Prussia for those with a really long memory. :ph34r:

So, you could have a car that was identified as 'Made in Germany'...in a Finnish factory. :rolleyes:

Hey Theo,

If you are referring to my post, they weren't smilies, they were Huh, Confused, and Oh.

I took them off as someone complained.

Cheers,

Doug

Hey Doug. For a moment there I thought we had a post removing virus in our midst.

Everyone's become so sensitive lately!!!!

(I would add lots of smilies to show the non serious nature of this post but this bloody phone won't allow me to!!!)

I recently watched "Ultimate Factories - Porsche" and they stated in the narrative that the German factory builds all 911's and SOME Boxsters, ergo, other models are build elsewhere.

Just wanted to use "ergo" in a post!

I always thought it was HAL that said, "I think, therefore I am", (and in the early days you might have guessed the PFA administrator password from this), but alas, my early sci-fi education had led me astray, and away from that frenchie philosophy I should have been taking note of... However, I refer to my previous postulation...

I drive, ergo, I am!

LOL!

Kerry

I thought I might re-introduce myself since I first said hello 18 months ago or thereabouts. I am presently in the UK and heading back to Australia in December. I now know that I am heading to Sydney for the next few years, It's unfamiliar territory for me as I have spent most of my years in Adelaide when I havent been living overseas.

I'm bringing a 996 C2 back with me and am looking forwards to some drives around NSW countryside and Eastern Creek. have also just joined PCNSW so I might see a few of you through there.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Yes welcome back Wayne!

The NSW chapter seems to be taking on positive momentum now, just in time for SMT season! (Sunday Morning Targa - early morning spin, and brekkie somewhere usually a little remote, and with a twistie track leading up to it!). ;)

Cheers,

Kerry

Yes welcome back Wayne!

The NSW chapter seems to be taking on positive momentum now, just in time for SMT season! (Sunday Morning Targa - early morning spin, and brekkie somewhere usually a little remote, and with a twistie track leading up to it!). ;)

Cheers,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

thank you, that sounds awesome, we used to do that when I lived in San Antiono, early morning breakfast runs up into the Texas hill country. Great days.

Cheers,

Wayne

Welcome back also Wayne, just checked out your YouTube clips... Excellent stuff, nice driving and love that circuit.

Thanks Niko, I count myself as being lucky to have had some good driving opportunities (Instructors and tracks).

• 3 months later...

Gday all

Lee here

Long time lurker, decided to join up and check out the world of Porsche

I'm in Adelaide, been into VW's for 3 or 4 years on Melburg Luft forum with Mark and Jye (jnr356 Jye91),Sorry lads ;-)

I'm 47, a tradie, part time muso, ex bike and Kart racer.

Have had far too many cars to mention here (shut up Mark!) from 55 Chevs and Monaro's to Beetles and a Karmann Ghia, yet am weighing up my options this year to finally buy the car I've lusted after since I first heard a flat 6 air cooled many many years ago.

Just doing my homework at the moment with air cooled 60's to mid 70's 912's and 911's, so I'll be doing a lot of reading with your experiences in the past.

Cheers