What a Sensibly Priced 1987 Carrera?

G5032, congrats.. nice car there.. would be good to hear how you go with the trip back

Welcome to P car ownership.  A trip along the GOR instead of the Western Hwy will make a memorable home coming drive.  Enjoy every  curve and crest.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has the non-US ROW headlight surrounds fitted , not the foreskins (Amanda's too polite to call them this)  Also, it has side marker lights behind the front turn signals instead of a black rubber piece. Cant see it here but the rear lamps have a side marker light as well.

Ha would you believe I couldn't remember that terminology, never lone use it. And yes, I am too polite :)

The price was dropped $2,500 yesterday to $52,500.

I only mentioned the pedals because if the previous owner is happy to do that to the car, what else could he or she have done to it too?  Particularly as fixing the pedals would be very cheap to do.  Maybe its just a one off issue or it could be indicative of a hard life on the track.

Please go and have a look and report back! :)

The price was dropped $2,500 yesterday to $52,500.

I only mentioned the pedals because if the previous owner is happy to do that to the car, what else could he or she done to it too? Particularly as fixing the pedals would be very cheap to do. Maybe its just a one off issue or it could be indicative of a hard life on the track.

Please go and have a look and report back! :)

I presume a ppi would determine how hard its lived. Will take a look at it at the very least, give it a drive and see what happens.

Hmm things aren't looking tooo bad then in this fragile economic climate.  I'm comfortable I probably haven't done my dough having an '86 model with FSH booked and 118kms and completely original Aus Del.

Seems a few people still out there looking for a good 3.2 and low km examples becoming rarer

Congrats on your purchases G5032 and aimr75

PPI pending :)

Loved how it drove and is very clean. Knocked a good amount off the price. See how it goes

well done that looks like a really great example of a well maintained 3.2..i suspect you would have nabbed it for mid to high $40's which i think is a fair price if it presented like the sellers description...RSR always advertise at a bit of a premium but i hear he is negotiable with genuine enquiry..

Im surprised how well maintained it was for a near 30 year old car.. no cracks in the dash, no cracking in the leather and is soft, roof lining looked excellent, electrics all worked etc.. felt very comfortable sitting in it.. ive sat in much newer cars in worse condition.

Assuming it pans out, will get those steel pedals put back to original and a nicer gear knob.. the exhaust is quite large for my liking but it sounded fabulous. Have had a suggestion to put the rear 16x7's to the front and put 16x8's on the rear, so will see about that possibly.

I think it sits well and has been lowered nicely, first thing I will address with the car I’m bringing back from Adelaide on Saturday

I don’t think you can go wrong with Grand Prix white, suites the car well.

In regards to mechanicals, has it had a top end rebuild ect?

I think it sits well and has been lowered nicely, first thing I will address with the car I’m bringing back from Adelaide on Saturday

I agree. I wouldn't touch the wheels on the white one. I think the car looks great as is. I do recall the grey Adelaide one sitting a bit high. By the way, I want to see some photos of the road trip when you get it home.

Have had a suggestion to put the rear 16x7's to the front and put 16x8's on the rear, so will see about that possibly.

scroll down and check out the pic of JJ's car - he has 9's on the rear. Just saying ;)

I agree. I wouldn't touch the wheels on the white one. I think the car looks great as is. I do recall the grey Adelaide one sitting a bit high. By the way, I want to see some photos of the road trip when you get it home.

The 3.2 I bought in Adelaide could easy run the Dakar rally on its current suspension height and I wouldn’t be worried about it bottoming out...

I will definitely take snaps of the road trip and post up..Its currently at Buik Automotive in Adelaide getting the once over in preparation for the trip..they did the PPI, great bunch of blokes..I will add some commentary in the workshop thread on how good their service was. Anyone in Adelaide looking for a good independent Porsche workshop should definitely consider..

scroll down and check out the pic of JJ's car - he has 9's on the rear. Just saying ;)

JJ's car is quite possibly the best looking 3.2 I've ever seen!!! I've often drooled over this photo. Are they 16s or 17s though?

911rear.jpg

Question..being a torsion bar setup, how easy it do lower yourself? any special tools needed ect? just thought i'de ask here before trawling through the Pelican website..

Front is easier than the rear, don't believe you need any special tools - just plenty of patience and ideally an auto hoist! I am not brave enough to do it myself but other members here have. Roni (FIG) has plenty of experience with this, may be worth popping him a PM.

Dont think it has.. will see what the ppi reveals as to how strong the motor is. Its getting a compression and leak down done

I mentioned 9's to Rob and he thought there would be some rubbing.. not the case?

JJ's car is quite possibly the best looking 3.2 I've ever seen!!! I've often drooled over this photo. Are they 16s or 17s though?

911rear.jpg

I love how that car looks too.. 

Question..being a torsion bar setup, how easy it do lower yourself? any special tools needed ect? just thought i'de ask here before trawling through the Pelican website..

Front is very easy as Hugh suggested.  Simply turn the tension bolts on the torsion bars under the front.  Be aware this greatly affects wheel alignment and handling - will need an alignment after doing so.  Also unless you have installed a bump steer kit (like one from pelican) then dont go too low otherwise it will jostle around over bumps and dips etc  It will also be unbalanced if done in isolation without the rear

From memory 20mm is about the correct rake front to rear?

To lower the rear is more complicated, you may get a small amount of adjustment in the spring plates themselves, but more often than not you need to remove the plates, and then remove the torsion bar itself and rotate it on its splines to get it lower, this is fiddly and needs trial and error to get it right

I mentioned 9's to Rob and he thought there would be some rubbing.. not the case?

9's fit with no issues at all. ran them with 255 semi slicks on 17x9 CUP wheels with no rubbing or any contact at all.

when i bumped it up to 9.5"s and 265 semi slicks i had to roll the lip of the guards so they didn't bite into the tyre but that is all.

xuNqjGk.jpg

9's fit with no issues at all. ran them with 255 semi slicks on 17x9 CUP wheels with no rubbing or any contact at all.

when i bumped it up to 9.5"s and 265 semi slicks i had to roll the lip of the guards so they didn't bite into the tyre but that is all.

xuNqjGk.jpg

cheers thanks.. looks very good with those.. i guess the harder part would be sourcing them

Archived