3-D Scanner and 3-D Printer??

Have we got any PFA'ers out there who have access to a 3-D scanner and 3-D printer?

This topic stems from the earlier small volume plastic parts thread, but probably warrants its own post, as it's something many of us want to know about, having cars containing lots of NLA parts!

I have access to them via RMIT, they are amazing and along with people who know how to use them 'properly' the stuff you can produce is pretty amazing. I have only used them for basic modelling (houses, topography etc.) but the industrial design students can make anything really. The domestic ones are getting better, soon enough I will be able to print my own porsche but only after I print a house!

I am interested if anyone can in laymans explain how this works. Apparently you can print a show or jeans - how does the design and structural engineering behind the originals transfer and what material is used?

I am interested if anyone can in laymans explain how this works. Apparently you can print a show or jeans - how does the design and structural engineering behind the originals transfer and what material is used?

Not sure about fabrics, pretty much everything I have worked with used plastic of some sorts.

Hugh, if any of the industrial design students are interested in taking on a project, I can provide a sample...

I'll put it out there and see what I can organise. It's currently mid sem break at the moment, back next month - are you in a rush?

Think scanning an image and printing it on a laser printer.  The principles are just the same, just in 3d.

A 3d scanner will take images of an object from different angles and re-construct it as a 3d model within the computer - thus it can be rotated etc.   There is an extra step to turn it into CAD files - particularly if there are internal details like chambers, hollows etc.

A 3d printer works by printing out the object in 3d.  There are different ways of doing this - which are usually either laying down subsequent 'prints' of a material as it builds up (visualise a laser printer feeding the same piece of paper through again and again and the ink building up on top of each layer), or some take a container of material and fire a laser into it, which fuses the material  into a solid.  When done, the excess material is blown or washed away revealing the object.

Remember that, while the parts are only in plastics, you can make cast parts by making the plastic part, then making a mould around the plastic part.

The Wiki page on this is pretty accessible : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printer

We use rapid proto 3d parts all the time in the model fabrication workshop at GM. They can be made in all sorts of material. From clear plastic (polished by hand afterwards) to nylons for strength, even metallic. The choices are endless.

Cost varies depending on material, size, and hand finishing required. It's still a relatively cheap method of making one-off parts.

There are a large amount of parts on our cars that could be made with this tech. Does anyone know if any other people have attemped to produce NLA parts for older cars? Surely someone somewhere has already attemped this. I'm off to search the interwebs!

*update* Well that didn't take long, Jay Leno has been making his own parts for his cars for a few years now.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/jay-leno/technology/4320759

There are a large amount of parts on our cars that could be made with this tech. Does anyone know if any other people have attemped to produce NLA parts for older cars? Surely someone somewhere has already attemped this. I'm off to search the interwebs!

*update* Well that didn't take long, Jay Leno has been making his own parts for his cars for a few years now.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/jay-leno/technology/4320759

Leno can afford it. Most of us mere mortals cannot.

The real cost is the CAD time needed to produce a complex, good quality model for the machine to use. Simple shapes can be more easily digitally scanned. You can get parts made by suppliers of proto parts. Most of the old school pattern shops have converted to rapid proto work. The good quality rp machines are $$$. Smaller cheap machines can be dodgy. Get what you pay for.

Becoming common to repro smaller Exxy or nla items a recent thread on the alfabb site discussed making a interior mirror arm. Was made in plastic, though for not much more could have been done in S/S.

Scotty I can cast in plastics and metals though the issue is whether you have a part to make a pattern from. By the time you have invested in a pattern etc then you will want to make quite a few to offset costs. Also the sizing of the part could make t a difficult part to make. Simon Fairweather might be able to help with small parts also.

Granted home machines for 1-3k aren't the best re: resolution though if the part is not curvilinear then you can get good results. Reality been send a file to the numerous web based companies and get a part back in a couple of weeks - plastics and metals including titanium etc are on offer. Some machines are even printing 'wood'.

Btw Pm,d the guy on the tail though havent head back yet

Cheers Michel

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading the other day that NASA is commissioning a company to print food in shapes typical of the real thing. The example used was pizza flavoured "ink" and printing it in the shape of a pizza. Goes with that eating with your eyes theory.

They're also talking about using them to print bases on the moon and other planets in the future as it's way more cost effective to transport the printing materials as you can have them in shapes that stack easier and I suppose they could print structures in construction shapes such as trusses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Taking this topic further - I went to a conference recently which had some 3D printing on display.

First, they used a laptop hooked up to an X-Box Kinect, which is the scanner used for motion based games (I'm sure some readers have one of these)

9721779201_4ecd74ee98_z.jpg

Then they sent the mapped objects out to the printer, which uses the same type of plastic that Lego is made from.  You can see the feed coming off a coil of plastic, and it prints out the object layer by layer forming the object.

9725009718_87852a2306_z.jpg

The finished product - people who were scanned have their 3d likeness ready to collect.

9725011714_5a838b7554_z.jpg

Pretty cool stuff.  I think I have the card from these guys around somewhere if people are interested.

edit: actually I can see the website address on the printer head :http://pp3dp.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived